Cultivated Reef

Lazarus Project - Godzilla's (Evanski) Fluval 2G

evanski

Tank looks great, Evan!! That beard is friggin' amazing, too. I need that shirt... I've got one that says "Microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity... And in triplicate" :D

Thanks! Wife actually encouraged me to go full face bush...but I like it now. Mountain man stuff and all that.

Love the quote on your shirt!

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You like the reef roids and Kent food? I've been giving phyto + a cube of this stuff: http://www.sfbb.com/Marine-Cuisine%E2%84%A2_17.php mixed in. The corals and crab seem to love it, but it's made my tank messy ;)

Yeah, RR and Kent Accel seem to work well for me, and I feed a fair amount twice a week. I also do a 25% weekly water change and run floss, CPR, and Purigen.

A good recipe for me...which is not to say other things would not work just as well. Like many things...I am working empirically here.

I'm thinking of doing 25% WC instead of 20%. No particular reason except I have been feeding heavier. I need a better CUC though. A few more snails. LFS didn't have them. I could order from RC, but I really don't need 100 snails.

I'm going to stick with phyto - but also give beer yeast a try. Erisen says he feeds with beer yeast (in addition to other foods) and his tank is killer!! His tank is one of my favorites: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/323574-the-italian-nano-cube/ Makes sense - make a quick growth of them, put them in the fridge - bam nice amino acids, sugars, proteins, etc. for the coral.

Definitely going back to CPE, just the 6oz bag should last me a while. Purigen and my tank dislike one another.

I'm thinking of doing 25% WC instead of 20%. No particular reason except I have been feeding heavier. I need a better CUC though. A few more snails. LFS didn't have them. I could order from RC, but I really don't need 100 snails.

I'm going to stick with phyto - but also give beer yeast a try. Erisen says he feeds with beer yeast (in addition to other foods) and his tank is killer!! His tank is one of my favorites: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/323574-the-italian-nano-cube/ Makes sense - make a quick growth of them, put them in the fridge - bam nice amino acids, sugars, proteins, etc. for the coral.

Definitely going back to CPE, just the 6oz bag should last me a while. Purigen and my tank dislike one another.

Holy cow...that tank is a wowzer! Does he target or broadcast feed?

How much are you feeding? Do you turn the return pump off while you do that?

I feed about 1/8th tsp of the reef roids, and 12-16 drops of Accel.

I target feed exclusively with the pump and ATO OFF. I let everything settle, then turn them back on. After the tank clears completely, I replace the floss.

HTH.

You like the reef roids and Kent food? I've been giving phyto + a cube of this stuff: http://www.sfbb.com/Marine-Cuisine%E2%84%A2_17.php'>http://www.sfbb.com/Marine-Cuisine%E2%84%A2_17.php mixed in. The corals and crab seem to love it, but it's made my tank messy ;)
Doc, a full cube is far too much for your tank. And you know I over feed right? But I too feed one cube to my entire system of 40+ gallons with 9 fish. You might want to cut back to 1/4 cube every other day.

I feed pellets and micro foods also but actual fish food is just the cube with occasional pellets and cyclops.

I target feed exclusively with the pump and ATO OFF. I let everything settle, then turn them back on. After the tank clears completely, I replace the floss.HTH.
Very good routine you have there.

Doc, a full cube is far too much for your tank. And you know I over feed right? But I too feed one cube to my entire system of 40+ gallons with 9 fish. You might want to cut back to 1/4 cube every other day.

I feed pellets and micro foods also but actual fish food is just the cube with occasional pellets and cyclops.

:blush: Thanks Kat!

It works for me.

Holy cow...that tank is a wowzer! Does he target or broadcast feed?

I feed about 1/8th tsp of the reef roids, and 12-16 drops of Accel.

I target feed exclusively with the pump and ATO OFF. I let everything settle, then turn them back on. After the tank clears completely, I replace the floss.

HTH.

No idea. I assume broadcast.

Nah I don't feed that much. I should have specified. I put a cube in a tube of like 30ml of phyto, stir it up, and target feed a few mls total.

You like the reef roids and Kent food? I've been giving phyto + a cube of this stuff: http://www.sfbb.com/Marine-Cuisine%E2%84%A2_17.php mixed in. The corals and crab seem to love it, but it's made my tank messy ;)

If you can get this at your LFS it's great stuff. Supposed to be "healthier" than the others. I like that the mysis is whole and not bits and pieces. The anemones/corals like it. The fish really like this cyclopeeze too :).

http://www.marinedepot.com/Piscine_Energetics_PE_Mysis_%2b_Cyclop_eeze_Twin_Pack_8oz_Cube_Tray_Fish_Coral_Food-Piscine_Energetics_Inc-QE20001-FIFDFZFSCF-vi.html

If you can get this at your LFS it's great stuff. Supposed to be "healthier" than the others. I like that the mysis is whole and not bits and pieces. The anemones/corals like it. The fish really like this cyclopeeze too :).

http://www.marinedepot.com/Piscine_Energetics_PE_Mysis_%2b_Cyclop_eeze_Twin_Pack_8oz_Cube_Tray_Fish_Coral_Food-Piscine_Energetics_Inc-QE20001-FIFDFZFSCF-vi.html

They don't have anything like that at the LFS :( I've been searching for better food for a while. There is a local phyto producer, Area 51. I think I may buy some of that and culture it myself.

Return pump issues...

Noticed lately that flow in the tank is low...put my finger in front of the return nozzle and it was almost non-existent! omgomgomg

Took the pump out to clean it, but it ran big guns in the sink without cleaning. Wiped all of the parts and reassembled, and the detritus flew!

The funny thing is that with few exceptions, EVERYTHING in my tank is looking awesome. Only exceptions are the nuke greens and Capt. Muricas I get from Gena...and I am pretty sure they got scorched by my LEDS...my bad. They are still there, just closed for several weeks after looking great initially.

Hope increased water movement and resulting filtrations makes the tank even more vibrant!

Six months....wow! Need to get some new pics up for sure! Can't believe it went so fast. Tank is looking great!

A little worried that the bubble algae is starting to grow out from under two frags. Thinking about taking the tank down for an afternoon, removing sand bed (not liking the look and it is undoubtedly a huge nutrient sink), removing the bubbles, and peroxiding the site just to make sure.

One other note. Cleaning the pump and restoring max flow has had three bennies. First, it started a HUGE detritus storm which quickly cleared. There is much less detritus now on the rocks when I blow them off.

Second, the InTank overflow skimmer now works...duh. It is unsurprisingly flow dependent.

Finally, two mini-colonies of Tubbs Blues and King Midas zoanthids, which have been struggling over the last couple of months, are now wide open and really happy.

Six months....wow! Need to get some new pics up for sure! Can't believe it went so fast. Tank is looking great!

A little worried that the bubble algae is starting to grow out from under two frags. Thinking about taking the tank down for an afternoon, removing sand bed (not liking the look and it is undoubtedly a huge nutrient sink), removing the bubbles, and peroxiding the site just to make sure.

One other note. Cleaning the pump and restoring max flow has had three bennies. First, it started a HUGE detritus storm which quickly cleared. There is much less detritus now on the rocks when I blow them off.

Second, the InTank overflow skimmer now works...duh. It is unsurprisingly flow dependent.

Finally, two mini-colonies of Tubbs Blues and King Midas zoanthids, which have been struggling over the last couple of months, are now wide open and really happy.

Congrats on the zoos opening!

I finally removed all of my 3" - 4" sandbed from my 40...well, minus about a ziplock baggie worth. Had to leave the pistol a little mound to play with. I'm loving the bare bottom so much more....didn't think I would when I first thought about doing it. Glad I did.

I'm definitely removing my sand bed this week, lol. I need to take care of some stuff, too. I need more corals, for sure.

Colony Shots

Can you still see the Moose?

IMG_0470.jpg

GSP back wall growth

IMG_0469.jpg

Oxides courtesy of Gena. Which shot do you like better?

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

Red Deaths

IMG_0467.jpg

King Midas...growing like crazy!

IMG_0466.jpg

Pink Zippers?

IMG_0463.jpg

Green Bay Packers

IMG_0462.jpg

Eagle Eyes are owning the tank!

IMG_0461.jpg

Eye of Rah?

IMG_0460.jpg

Pom Pom

http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/evanski1/media/Fluval/IMG_0457.jpg.html'>IMG_0457.jpg

Damn, you got two tanks? Or is there more? lol

I HAVE a 16 IM, but it is still dry...and all of the goodies. Need to get the granite countertop installed, and to be honest am in no rush right now. My Nanobox Duo with Bluefish controller is on order, and I have already told Dave not to hurry.

Looks good! I love the Moose

Thanks! He is almost entirely hidden because the plating in the back is going straight up the wall. I am going to have to trim that soon, as it is about to impinge on the overflow! :haha:

Beautiful Spec!! Love all the Zoas!

Thanks! Trying for as many varieties as possible. Approaching 20 and 200 polyps in a 2G! :happydance:

Thanks! He is almost entirely hidden because the plating in the back is going straight up the wall. I am going to have to trim that soon, as it is about to impinge on the overflow! :haha:

Thanks! Trying for as many varieties as possible. Approaching 20 and 200 polyps in a 2G! :happydance:

I really want my tank to be ric/zoa dominated. Hoping I can make that happen.

I really want my tank to be ric/zoa dominated. Hoping I can make that happen.

You can...just need to identify problems and knock them out one at a time. The nudis were a killer for me, and the pump failure (partial) was hard to diagnose. No everything looks ridiculously healthy and growing fast with my current regimen. Even the Captain America polyp I had written off seem to be coming back.

Main problem now is running out of space for new zoas!

Will have another look at your thread and let you know what my thoughts are.

brandon429

Evanski Im so jealz of the lighting and the coloration and pop ~ such a nice job

not a spec of algae

no reason this tank can't live indefinately with you making money off neat frags grown within.

Evanski Im so jealz of the lighting and the coloration and pop ~ such a nice job

not a spec of algae

no reason this tank can't live indefinately with you making money off neat frags grown within.

This is my end goal - to set up a small frag tank and just frag off a few pieces of zoas and rics, etc to sell locally to pay for the hobby. Nothing crazy, no huge set up. Just a bit here and there to cover filter floss, water, food and maybe some of the power bill ;)

Archived