Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lazarus Project - Godzilla's (Evanski) Fluval 2G

evanski

Evanski Im so jealz of the lighting and the coloration and pop ~ such a nice job

not a spec of algae

no reason this tank can't live indefinately with you making money off neat frags grown within.

Hey Brandon...thanks for popping in!

I did have a bit of a bubble algae outbreak on two frags (missed it during my pre-placement inspection). Hard to remove the rockwork, so I threw in an emerald crab who cleaned it up in not time. Will relocate it to the the IM 16 once it is up, running, and cycled. After I fixed nudi and flow issues, everything seems to be very happy and healthy.

Major concern moving forward is, of course, the sand bed. The rockwork and small form-factor precludes vacuuming, although I stir when I do my weekly 25% water changes. I worry a lot about build up of detritus that could eventually crash the tank.

After discussions with you, Andrew, and Tibbsy, Tibbsy and I started a thread looking at ways to maintain stability with a sand bed. I like the look here (my IM 16 will be bare), but want to explore mechanisms to make sure I am not creating a toxic waste dump.

Thread is here. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/347187-es-and-ts-pico-sand-bed-thread/

Tibbsy will vacuum...he has a big enough footprint to do so and will add a few sand stirrers as well.

I plan on doing a complete sand rinse every 3-6 months. Will take the ENTIRE rockwork out into a holding container, and rinse the sand completely several times with new salt water until it runs clear. Then I will replace the rockwork with a 50% water change.

Would appreciate your thoughts, bother here and on that thread. It will be a bit of an experiment, but hope it will demonstrate ways to maintain the sand esthetics while not jeopardizing long-term viability.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brandon429

yes in my opinion you dont even have to take it apart. Ill go back and look at the size of the tank again, but two gallons you can drain the tank empty, set it in your sink, then roughly pour 20 gallons through it to overflow and eject everything not fastened down out into the sink. you pour hard enough to eject waste, but not enough to remove the whole bed. tidal flushing action mimic

my sandbed is reset annually like this for nine annuals

:)

im two years late on this one though just of laziness, soon will do! the longest running pico uses a dsb ergo dsb's arent bad.

the longest running pico uses a dsb ergo dsb's arent bad.

I understand. Mine is not deep (<1"), relatively coarse, with no stirring CUC. I am afraid this is a bad combo.

• 1 month later...

8 Month Update...plenty of pushures!

FTS

IMG_0534-Version2.jpg

Eagle Eyes going bananas...might have 75 polyps now!

IMG_0536.jpg

Pretty RDEs are pretty

http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/evanski1/media/Fluval/IMG_0537.jpg.html'>IMG_0537.jpg

Eye of Rah? Faces are more powder blue, hard to get a good color shot

http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/evanski1/media/Fluval/IMG_0538.jpg.html'>IMG_0538.jpg

Green Bay Packers

IMG_0540.jpg

Pink People Eaters...ultra variant I am selling for $150 PP

IMG_0541.jpg

Midas and Red Deaths

IMG_0545.jpg

GSP Wall about 1/3 covered now

IMG_0546.jpg

Top of the rock work

IMG_0549.jpg

Armor of God doing well and growing...love the shadows of tentacles

IMG_0550.jpg

Tubbs were tiny and pale...now OMG!

IMG_0551.jpg

Moose is threatening to plug the overflow

IMG_0554.jpg

Ring of Fire? $5 Frag!

IMG_0555.jpg

Another shot of the top

IMG_0557.jpg

Top Down...Purple and Red Deaths at bottom, purple monticap and teal trumpets courtesy of Gena! :wub:

IMG_0558-Version2.jpg

Close up

IMG_0562.jpg

Frag Rack

IMG_0564.jpg

Purty Trumpets

IMG_0566.jpg

Nice growth! Make sure Moose don't block your overflow! Very complementary and helpful things have been said.

Thanks! I will keep an eye on moose, but it looks like the flow itself is enough to keep it clear.

Thanks! I will keep an eye on moose, but it looks like the flow itself is enough to keep it clear.

In all seriousness....tank looks great. Congrats.

Thx Chad. Been very happy with growth and stability. Guess I stumbled upon a good mix of flow, feeding, filtration, etc. Very forgiving in terms of water changes. Went a month without once...a little smutz on the glass but the polys were VERY happy!

Anyone know if the names on my two mystery frags (Ring of fire? Eye of Rah?) are correct?

Looking good, filling the rock up nicely.

Wow...it's growing in really nicely!!!!! Love the purple monti and trumpets in there :). You are about to run out of room :P. Good thing you have a backup for the overflow of corals (especially the montis).

Thx Gena. The purple monticap is a BEAST. Your stuff looks awesome in my tank!

You recommended I move this to member tank threads...how do I do that?

Thx Gena. The purple monticap is a BEAST. Your stuff looks awesome in my tank!

You recommended I move this to member tank threads...how do I do that?

You are taking great care of them too :happy:.

Just contact Christopher or one of the mods and ask them to move it :).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Arrived in Tx just in time for Ebola.

Coral in 5g bucket, plug in heater and power head each night in hotel room. Tank goes back up tomorrow...wish me luck!!!

Why the HELL did you move to Texas!?! (Whatever Gina)

The skiing is horrible/nonexistent!

Anyway hope everything went well with the transfer

Archived