Top Shelf Aquatics

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed a bit of salt creep on the front glass occasionally, and lately it has gotten worse. Checked last night, and the rim is giving out :( Gotta get this figured out and fast!

If you were close I have a 7.5 you could use until you got it figured out.

Fortunately it is the upper rim in the center front which means it's not going to be catastrophic even if it does fail, the water level is below that. Gives me some time.

jedimasterben

On the bright side, PicO Aquarium has free shipping for their new 5g this week....

go for it, tibbs. You know you want to!

Dang, that sucks.

On the bright side, PicO Aquarium has free shipping for their new 5g this week....

go for it, tibbs. You know you want to!

Hmmm... Wife would kill me. But maybe the IM Nuvo 10? 100 bucks, right? :P

Is the only place to order the IM Fusion 10 from MD? I haven't seen it anywhere else (not that I mind, I was just wondering). I kind of hate that there isn't a good media basket yet. The IM 16 caddy apparently fits, but it looks like crap compared to inTank. Obviously, StevieT hasn't had a chance to make a basket yet, but if I get the 10, I will 100% get a basket from him. I could use egg crate in the meantime, I suppose. The tank would have to cycle anyways... The NanoBox Tide will cover this tank, yes?

Yeah, the display is 11.8x11.8x13 so it'll cover it. Now to convince my wife ;)

Also - because I despise my rockscape - does anyone know anything about the Aquamaxx Dry Rock from MD? I figure if I end up ordering the tank from them, I may as well get my rock from them, too. I like live rock, and I really like the premium rock from KP Aquatics, but 35 bucks plus 75 overnight shipping is crazy for 10lbs of rock, no matter how nice it is. That and I'm determined to become as sustainable in this hobby as I can - no unnecessary maricultured things.

woohoo...can't wait to see this plan unfold.

IF it unfolds. No guarantee yet. But considering the price of the tank, the fact that my wife hate having all the gadgets visible, and that she wants "more room for more stuff" I think I might be able to convince her without too much trouble. I'll definitely get a fire fish (which is the fish I've always wanted) and maybe a small clown if I go this route.

Edit: I'd also need to look into a replacement pump. I think the Rio + series would work. I don't think the stock pump will cut it. Maybe something like this http://www.amazon.com/Rio-800-Powerhead--Gallons-Watts/dp/B003C5RA3U/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1409238662&sr=8-8&keywords=rio+plus

jedimasterben

I still don't fully understand expensive media baskets. The media inside them isn't really that efficient anyway, still takes many passes over it to get the work done

I still don't fully understand expensive media baskets. The media inside them isn't really that efficient anyway, still takes many passes over it to get the work done

It doesn't adsorb nearly as quickly as when media is in a reactor, but that can be an advantage in smaller tanks when you don't want the water quality changing too much, too fast (or nutrients getting sucked out of the tank like a black hole, without feeding to make up for it). I suppose either or would just be a matter of preference, and whether or not your media can withstand being in a reactor (I'm not sure how well Purigen, for example, would do in there).

If the wife wants more room for more stuffs , GO FOR THE 20 !!

Haha, that's too much maintenance for me right now. I like the 10 just fine ;)

If the wife wants more room for more stuffs , GO FOR THE 20 !!

You guys are the best influences. :P

tell your wife I said it was okay

It's more about the fit/quality, to be honest. The media baskets allow for more concentrated and directed flow over the media. This is important because, as you said, the media ISN'T that efficient on its own. It requires many passes, so forcing the water to go over it is important. I like Stevie's baskets because, at least with the AC70, it forces the water in very specific channels, resulting in a greater turnover of water throughout the media, rather than the media just idly sitting there. I'm not really sure how else to make it work in these tanks? A reactor maybe?

You guys are the best influences. :P

Right?

Ok - so Aquamaxx Dry rock. Sand is next... http://www.marinedepot.com/CaribSea_Dry_Aragonite_Fiji_Pink_Reef_Sand_15_lb_Dry_Sand_for_Saltwater_Reef_Aquariums-CaribSea-CS0022-FISSDS-vi.html or http://www.marinedepot.com/CaribSea_Tropic_Isle_Tahitian_Moon_Sand_20_lb_Dry_Sand_for_Saltwater_Reef_Aquariums-CaribSea-CS0821-FISSDS-vi.html? Is there another sand I should be thinking about? There is also this - though I don't need 30 lbs and unfortunately that's all they sell http://premiumaquatics.com/products/tropic-eden-reefflakes-aragonite-sand-30lb.html

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived