SaltCritters.com

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

Wow, I am again floored. This is insane! Kat and JBB - you two. whoa.

Also - in tank news. The punk rocker zoa is officially a plural. The 5 other polyps have made themselves known. They are all out with tiny little tendrils and the main polyp has "squatted" down low.

The Hammer has been really skinny lately, and looking at old pictures, it was a lot darker before. I'm not sure why, but I think it may have to do with the fact there is now 2 heads/mouths. For sure. It is starting to push out from itself more and I can see two almost individual heads.

I found the 3rd foot of the xenia stuck in the sand. I glued it back on the rock work to the front right. All 3 bunches are starting to do better. I just plan on keeping things stable now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to be more of a skeptic. I am all the time, except when it comes to my own tank - then I'm willing to believe just about anything. I r a reef n00b. Great reef blog I found over the weekend and it pointed some stuff out to me that Kat has mentioned before, too. http://packedhead.net/ by Rich Ross.

Anyways, a pretty uneventful weekend. Big update coming soon but for now here is where I stand.

I did a major overhaul of the AC70 this weekend. I did a 1g water change and when I did, there was blackish gunk ALL over the inside of the AC70, including inside the CPE bag :( I tossed the filter floss, as I always do, rinsed the CPE to no avail, and then did a microbiologist's version of cleaning of the AC70 and all its parts. I swapped the AC70 impeller back in and turned the flow all the way down (this has to do with the forthcoming update). I added activated carbon back in and tossed the CPE as it was covered in nasty biofilm. I realized that the last time I had carbon problems was because I was using the whole bag of carbon that came with the AC70 (aka like 2 cups or so for a large tank). I calculated with the BRS calculator, and the carbon I have, that I need like 2 tablespoons of carbon... No wonder I was pissing my tank off!! I added 2 TBSPs of carbon to a filter bag and put it in the back. So far so good.

Except the GSP... It has been hidden away for 2 days and there is a blackish stuff on some of the polyps... It's hard to tell. I am going to do a melafix dip tonight. Hopefully that will help.

Other than that all good. Xenia is making a come back. The punk rocker has 6 total polyps, all open and happy. The original one is squatted down and about the size of a nickel. Very nice to see.

The hammer looked a bit unhappy almost like it was damaged. The base of the hammer (all the way at the main rock) has been chipped/eaten away? I'm not sure what is going on there, but I'm afraid the base will give way now... How far down down the hammer coral actually extend in to its skeleton?

Bought some brightwell Microbacter7 to help reseed after my heavy cleaning and PhytoChrom for feeding purposes.

By the end of this week, I'll have the bigger update here.

$100 for a 10g AIO is pretty good...I like that no light is included. That 10 gallon + nanobox eco will be a pretty sweet combo.

I agree! Especially without the rounded edges. It seems you get a decent amount of stuff with the IM 10g, too. Screen top, nice stock pump, etc. The nanobox Eco/Tide is perfect for this tank.

this is such a nice tank.

Mine? Thanks! I appreciate it. Or the IMs? They are nice :D I'm glad they have cube options rather than the rounded edges.

Anyone have any advice on the Tom's aqualifters? I recently acquired one (more later, no spoiling!) that wouldn't pump, so I replaced the guts (both the diaphragms and the inserts) and it still won't pump. I know that I installed them correctly - I've tried the inserts both ways and I verified via the old inserts "scar" on the gaskets. I also watched the BRS video (which was largely useless, I have to say) and it says there is a left and right (they don't actually show it), and I paused the video on one frame in which I could see the inserts without the diaphragms on, and I installed mine as they show. It still won't pump! It starts to pull water in but never pushes it back out. I think it was previously used for kalk dosing, so maybe it's clogged?

Anyone have any advice on the Tom's aqualifters? I recently acquired one (more later, no spoiling!) that wouldn't pump, so I replaced the guts (both the diaphragms and the inserts) and it still won't pump. I know that I installed them correctly - I've tried the inserts both ways and I verified via the old inserts "scar" on the gaskets. I also watched the BRS video (which was largely useless, I have to say) and it says there is a left and right (they don't actually show it), and I paused the video on one frame in which I could see the inserts without the diaphragms on, and I installed mine as they show. It still won't pump! It starts to pull water in but never pushes it back out. I think it was previously used for kalk dosing, so maybe it's clogged?

:(

This tank of course!!

:(

I think I may try and use some wire or something to try and see if its clogged. I tried blowing into it and the one side is totally fine, but the other has almost no air coming through.

So it is the output nozzle that seems clogged? Have you tried it with water?

I think it's actually the input nozzle, but I have tried with water. It starts to pull the water, and then nothing comes out the other side, and when I remove the guts of the system, there is a bunch of water in the diaphragms. When I blow into the intake/output, I can push air easily through the output, but not through the intake. I'm going to soak the red part in vinegar and use a thin wire or something to see if I can just physically remove anything that might be blocking it.

Maybe the vinyl tubing is clogged?

No, I bought brand new tubing and tried it with 2 short pieces. Is there vinyl tubing inside as well that I am missing?

Ok, I have a livestock purchasing conundrum. I have only purchased a fish once, and it was an LFS. I have only ever purchased CUCs online through Reefcleaners.

I would like to get a yellowtail damsel. There are 3 options:

A.) Order one from LiveAquaria or Blue Zoo for 5 bucks, plus the overnight shipping charge (from Cali to NC is like 35-40 bucks, I think).

B.) Buy one from the LFS. They have had the fish for a week at this point, sell them for $6, but they are the sister store to the place that I bought the YCG from that died from Brooklynella. This particular place I think is better (their stuff always looks healthier) and the people who work there seem to be better at tank-keeping. It's a risk, though. If I go this route I will have to do a QT, which basically would be the same price as the overnight shipping when all is said and done. They also have a no return/refund policy for marine livestock as they say that there are too many variables. Lame.

C.) I call the other LFS (an hour away) and have them get a yellowtail in stock that I can then drive and pick up. I have no idea what their policy is for livestock.

Why do you need to QT? You currently have no fish right? Just pick up a healthy looking one at the LFS... if it doesn't make it just go fallow for a couple of months

Why do you need to QT? You currently have no fish right? Just pick up a healthy looking one at the LFS... if it doesn't make it just go fallow for a couple of months

I just did a fallow of 12 weeks (now actually 16) because of the YCG. I'd like to avoid that again if possible.

I just did a fallow of 12 weeks (now actually 16) because of the YCG. I'd like to avoid that again if possible.

JMO

I would never pay $45 for a $5 fish. I would back myself to pick a healthy one at the store and then keep it alive

Also, I know a bunch of awesome LFSs and not a single one does returns on marine livestock. Best case scenario if it was a super expensive coral colony or something they offer 30-40% off your next purchase if they know you well

I guess that is part of the question - if the fish have only been there a few days, how do you tell? Some of them had nipped-looking fins, but no white spots (except one larger damsel had a light blue "stretchmark" kind of thing on one side), no shedding/mucus layer visible, no black spots, nothing of any cause for concern. How does one know what to trust? Especially if there is no returns...

The other LFS will order a fish or whatever I want for me, and I'd drive the hour to save shipping (it takes 40 minutes to get to the LFS mentioned above). The question is, how do I know there? What if THAT fish is sick?

A cheap QT tank would solve the problem, but again, it is a challenge. I suppose I could do that "QT in a bag" stuff, Safety stop I think it's called? That's only 5 bucks.

If you have a bucket you could QT in that as well. Too much effort IMO... ask them to feed it. If it eats vigorously and there are no dead fish in the tank it's in with ICH or any fungus/external parasites I'd take it. Damsel's are pretty hardy

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I knew damsels were hardy - heck people use them to cycle tanks.

I've called the good LFS an hour away and they don't carry damsels. Womp womp. They also don't carry safety stop. It looks like I am going to go to the sister LFS of the crap one. I'll see what they have. If it's crappy, I'll just be fishless a lot longer.

You might ask on a local forum for a fish. My bf picked up 2 chromis and I got a dottyback and a yellow coris wrasse along with a hermits and shrimp we got them a couple of weeks ago.

You might ask on a local forum for a fish. My bf picked up 2 chromis and I got a dottyback and a yellow coris wrasse along with a hermits and shrimp we got them a couple of weeks ago.

This! And if it's a local reef society, there's a very high chance that you'll get a healthy fish.

Tank and growth are looking sweet. I like your scape, looks cool. I noticed you had some gsp on your mag cleaner, can I ask if you are worried if the magnet starts to corrode (<spelling) if it will cause issues down the road? I guess the gsp would let you know its not happy and you could just toss it if it ever happened. I just heard that this mag cleaner has magnet issues over time.

This! And if it's a local reef society, there's a very high chance that you'll get a healthy fish.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of this. I think the issue is that it's likely that most of the people in this area got their fish at the LFS or its sister store as they are pretty much the ONLY LFS here that sells marine fish. I'll see what I can dig up. I may just put up a WTB ad on craigslist and see what comes up.

Online is definitely not an option. Kat brought up a good point - just because they replace the FISH for free, doesn't mean shipping is. I could end up having to pay 2 overnight shipping fees for a $5 fish. Not a good option.

Tank and growth are looking sweet. I like your scape, looks cool. I noticed you had some gsp on your mag cleaner, can I ask if you are worried if the magnet starts to corrode (<spelling) if it will cause issues down the road? I guess the gsp would let you know its not happy and you could just toss it if it ever happened. I just heard that this mag cleaner has magnet issues over time.

Thanks! It's nice to hear that people like this tank. I think it's bland and want to continually change it. Good to know I'm just a bit crazy! :D

I hadn't heard the mag cleaner had issues with corrosion over time, but it might? I'm not too terribly worried, though. If it does go bad, I'll pop it off and put the GSP back in the sand or on the rock somewhere. It is pretty poor-quality craftsmanship, though. The outer magnet is sliding out of the housing, so the GSP may be back on the sand more quickly than I planned.

I think the issue is that it's likely that most of the people in this area got their fish at the LFS or its sister store as they are pretty much the ONLY LFS here that sells marine fish. I'll see what I can dig up. I may just put up a WTB ad on craigslist and see what comes up.

:) The issue isn't whether the fish came from the LFS/sister store, but whether it's healthy when it gets to you. And if the fish's previous owner kept it in good health; it's a win win situation for you, especially since, ime, local reefers sell shit for cheaper too.

I think the best place for you to look might be on a local forum, keep an eye out for leaving-the-hobby sale threads. Usually great frags/fish at great prices.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived