Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

That's what I figured. Dang. Well, looks like I'm going to be killing some bacteria. I wonder what kind? Probably a Vibrio species. I'll likely chuck the CPE just to be sure.

Any tips to kill it other than what I have planned?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see your tank settle down a bit and starting to grow out!

Maybe, lol. This white crud could be problematic. My wife currently thinks my tank isn't working, lol.

Is the bacteria all over your tank or just the AC70? If it's just on your AC70, have you thought about just taking the AC70 out, removing your filter media, and just scrubbing the filter clean?

Is the bacteria all over your tank or just the AC70? If it's just on your AC70, have you thought about just taking the AC70 out, removing your filter media, and just scrubbing the filter clean?

Just the AC70 - and yeah, that's my plan tonight. Water change and I'm going to let the AC70/media basket/tubes soak in hydrogen peroxide and then vinegar for a while. I'm going to chuck the LR rubble and the current CPE and use fresh CPE. Hopefully that will help.

Just the AC70 - and yeah, that's my plan tonight. Water change and I'm going to let the AC70/media basket/tubes soak in hydrogen peroxide and then vinegar for a while. I'm going to chuck the LR rubble and the current CPE and use fresh CPE. Hopefully that will help.

Sounds like a plan :D

I did my water change last night and did a major clean up of the AC70.

I rinsed it out and all of the components within (intake tube, U tube, mediabasket and shelf), scrubbing by hand.

I then soaked everything in hydrogen peroxide for about 30 minutes - 1 hour.

I then rinsed everything and scrubbed by hand again.

Then I did a vinegar soak of everything for about an hour.

Rinsed with water, reassembled, and used brand new CPE. I tossed the told, just in case, and I tossed the LR rubble I had put back there.

I'm still not sure if it was bacteria or algae. I first thought bacteria because of the color, but it was actually brownish-greenish-black when the LED lights were not on it, which makes me think algae of some kind. Either way, let's hope this took care of it.

On another note - I need to figure out the top off and heat problem. I have been running a fan on the tank because it has been at 80-82 degrees constantly after adding the rio 50+ and with the weather outside. The fan dropped the temperature to 77-78, but this caused a lot of evaporation so I bought a glass lid. The glass lid basically does nothing. I lost about a quarter of a gallon of water since last night (about 10 hours from water change to top off this morning). An ATO is still 100% required, but I feel like this is not normal... I may have to move the tank somewhere else to get it to cool down without losing too much water.

It's not bad to have it that high, but it removes the "breathing room" I have been trying to allot myself on the tank for temp swings. I prefer the tank to be in the 78 range, so that if something happens, the tank has room to go up or down a few degrees without problem. At 80-82 degrees, it only gives me a degree or two of upper limit if something happens.

I have that bacteria everywhere in my tank. I also have a fuzzy type that grows on the rocks. It doesn't really do much other than look ugly, possibly removing nutrients as well. I make myself feel better about it by telling myself that it looks "natural" :lol: .

I just want it gone. I'm heading home from work now, so I'm crossing my fingers that there are no signs of any yet.

Gasp! My wife said it would be OK if I moved the tank out of the office and downstairs into the main room at least until summer is over. I discussed the track with her and she gave the go ahead.

Basically the coral are kind of grumpy. Everything is OK except the temperature being high. Nothing I do right now seems to be helping. So I asked if we could move the track downstairs. She said that she just doesn't like the color of the light showing all over the place. I now have the task of building some sort of wooden canopy to contain everything and keep the light in the tank.

That or get a nano box tide ? I really hope I win this July competition for the light. I doubt it but maybe. I took my picture tonight and am coming up with a word of some kind.I know the direction but I can't quite figure out the exact word. In going to post or tomorrow when I get the picture off of the camera.

The good LFS doesn't carry damsels typically, they said. I was hoping for a yellowtail damsel :( They do have blue/green chromis though. Hmmm... Not sure about that both because of color and because of space. I want something hardy.

I could try out another goby, but I'm a bit concerned about their longevity. I also want something to eat some of these amphipods.

I am also determined to have chaeto in my damn tank again. I will have macro, dangit.

Why do you want chaeto?

Only because the last one died in my tank. How can i keep a reef tank if i can't even keep macro like chaeto alive?

jedimasterben

So success is measured by chaeto growth? lol

On a serious note, just let it ride. Keep things stable, keep your hands out of it, keep nutrients low, keep temperature within range, and you'll be on the path for success.

Hahaha no, but it's a challenge. Chaeto should grow and mine died. The microbiologist in me is dying inside.

In all seriousness I am just letting it ride for now. Pictures in a bit

Fts:

vf4wBII.jpg

Used my wife's camera and I have no way to edit photos, so they are going to be blue.

GtgyjzA.jpg

You can see that these zoas have really started to grow out. They've been getting really big lately. Makes me happy.

Punk rocker (or whatever it is) has 5 polyps showing from the base, 3 of which have already started to open. You can see the biggest one here :)

CnbKZbR.jpg

GSP is now on my glass courtesy of the nanomag. I didn't really like this particular glass cleaner - it spun around too much and had little contact with the glass. I am going to get a different one. GSP is happy as hell here - only irritated by a snail just before I took this.

FGUESYO.jpg

Hammer is ok... I think the heat has it unhappy. It's kind of skinny and small the last few days and the smaller head that was showing at the middle left of the base is gone.

WzENwvT.jpg

This little ricordea florida is ok - not as big as I wanted it to be, but it's coloring up nicely - finally.

mzOcaQs.jpg

The Kenya tree is doing well - a couple of new branches plus it stays extended all the time now. Very pretty. Not a great picture.

QYEUOB2.jpg

The other ric is doing really well. It likes this spot a lot. It started yellow and blue, but has turned more orange and blue. I still like it a lot. It was a bit tucked it here, a snail again. But in general it stays open and fluffy a lot.

9GH0NKH.jpg

No pictures of the sad little xenia or the unhappy blue sympodium though - I need to get some but only once they are healthy and happy again.

jedimasterben

Hahaha no, but it's a challenge. Chaeto should grow and mine died. The microbiologist in me is dying inside.

I can't keep it either, anymore, along with several other 'beginner' corals that I've never been able to keep. Some thrive, some don't, it sucks, but that is hobby in a nutshell :D

I can't keep it either, anymore, along with several other 'beginner' corals that I've never been able to keep. Some thrive, some don't, it sucks, but that is hobby in a nutshell :D

So true... lol

Our car engine crapped out. Blergh. I detest car shopping. So much time and money, and now we're on their terms because we have no car. Dumb.

Well, we finally got a car. I love it! I did a LOT of research on what cars were great buys for what we wanted and found 3 models. Ended up going with.....

20140717_191902.jpg

Mazda CX-5 2103 Touring package. We got a great deal and are very happy with it :)

There are some absolutely amazing people on this forum - it is wonderful and very special to have such amazing friends as Metrokat, JBB, and Dave Fason. I will elaborate a bit more later. I am moved to the verge of tears right now - literally.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived