Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

Dino rock or no?

:lol:

if you dont take Bennys reef herpes, try the BRS pukani . It is some nice stuff, super porous and extremely light weight from what I hear.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

if you dont take Bennys reef herpes, try the BRS pukani . It is some nice stuff, super porous and extremely light weight from what I hear.

Hahaha, will do. I'm ordering the tank from MD and sand from them, too (their special grade Arag alive is cheaper, and they also offer dry special grade).

Do I want arag-alive special grade or dry? Dry is more expensive.

jedimasterben

I was going to do 10lbs - does that seem normal or is 15 better?

Dino rock or no?

Freshly acid washed.

Less is more.

if you dont take Bennys reef herpes

FU :)

Freshly acid washed.

Less is more.

FU :)

Acid washed.... mmmyeeeeessssss....

yeah man, 10lbs would be rad. How much for the rock + shipping?

dry is more? :huh:

then go arag-alive

yeah, 10lbs arag-alive is 17.99, dry is 26.49 for 15lbs. You get more, but I don't need more. I just need enough.

jedimasterben

Acid washed.... mmmyeeeeessssss....

yeah man, 10lbs would be rad. How much for the rock + shipping?

Just whatever shipping is. Want me to cement some together? Let me know, and give me the dimensions of your tank, and I'll make something.

Just whatever shipping is. Want me to cement some together? Let me know, and give me the dimensions of your tank, and I'll make something.

48x20x21

Awesome! Let me know how much it is (I assume special shipping is not required. Also look into "media" shipping via USPS). Hmmm, I may take you up on the cementing. I have epoxy, though. I'm not sure what kind of structure i want - similar to my current set up with 2 islands or one big tower kind of thing... The dimensions are 11.8" long x 11.8" wide x 13" tall (display only, obviously) if you want to think about it at all.

48x20x21

lol

jedimasterben

48x20x21

You took that tank down, though, or else I'd do it. :P

Awesome! Let me know how much it is (I assume special shipping is not required. Also look into "media" shipping via USPS). Hmmm, I may take you up on the cementing. I have epoxy, though. I'm not sure what kind of structure i want - similar to my current set up with 2 islands or one big tower kind of thing... The dimensions are 11.8" long x 11.8" wide x 13" tall (display only, obviously) if you want to think about it at all.

Media mail is limited to printed media or archival discs only.

What I'll do is some time this week I'll put a few rocks together and send some pics, tweak the idea if you want, etc, and then I'll put them together if you like it. I should have just enough mortar to do it :)

I've got two styles of rocks. The first is reefcleaners rock, which I don't have much of, the second is old live rock from KPA. The KPA rock is not white and still has specks of encrusting things left on it that are colored (don't ask how, they were in the same bath as all the other rocks) so from the get-go they look a lot better than the RC rock. I'll send pics and such, though.

You took that tank down, though, or else I'd do it. :P

Media mail is limited to printed media or archival discs only.

What I'll do is some time this week I'll put a few rocks together and send some pics, tweak the idea if you want, etc, and then I'll put them together if you like it. I should have just enough mortar to do it :)

I've got two styles of rocks. The first is reefcleaners rock, which I don't have much of, the second is old live rock from KPA. The KPA rock is not white and still has specks of encrusting things left on it that are colored (don't ask how, they were in the same bath as all the other rocks) so from the get-go they look a lot better than the RC rock. I'll send pics and such, though.

Awesome, thanks! I've been reading more about the IMs and some people still seem to be having leaking issues (16g, etc.) and it makes me VERY hesitant to go that route. I may have to find something else AIO-wise. Lame.

jedimasterben

Awesome, thanks! I've been reading more about the IMs and some people still seem to be having leaking issues (16g, etc.) and it makes me VERY hesitant to go that route. I may have to find something else AIO-wise. Lame.

Ok, just let me know what you end up going with.

Ok, just let me know what you end up going with.

Definitely. I'm not sure who else makes a nice AIO that size that is actually decent. So far no problems reported with the Fusion series, but the one guy here just had his 16g start leaking after a couple of months. And with JBB having to redo a couple of his seams in the back, I'm really hesitant. Damn. I literally had the IM 10 in my MD cart with sand and was waiting to check out until I finished something here in lab.

jedimasterben

Definitely. I'm not sure who else makes a nice AIO that size that is actually decent. So far no problems reported with the Fusion series, but the one guy here just had his 16g start leaking after a couple of months. And with JBB having to redo a couple of his seams in the back, I'm really hesitant. Damn. I literally had the IM 10 in my MD cart with sand and was waiting to check out until I finished something here in lab.

There's gonna be bad eggs no matter which company you choose to purchase from.

There's gonna be bad eggs no matter which company you choose to purchase from.

Yeah, I know, but IM has kind of a bad history with this particular type of bad egg - though in fairness, it's always the curved glass ones.

That PicO 5g is looking mighty fine right now. But half the size for 2 times the price hurts a bit...

Maybe I will buy the 10g and reseal it, just in case?

I think I'm going to risk it. It's 100 bucks, which is pretty cheap overall. And I am moving the tank downstairs onto the hard flooring, not on the carpet. I just have to get or build a stand. We went to Ikea yesterday to look at stuff on our way back from Atlanta, and I almost got a shelving unit that looked great, but I don't think it could handle the weight of the 10g tank on top. I'm trying to go back to the drawing board and figure out what I want/need.

I hear great things about the new Cobalt heaters! I've got a Jager TruTemp 75W running in my Nuvo16 and it keeps the temperature at 81F perfectly, even though my room cools down to 65 or so at night.

I'm tellen ya Tibbsy, I've had my PicO 5g for a week now and it's the most beautiful piece of aquarium work i have ever seen and the stock back media area works like a charm but let other new owners chime in as well.

I'm tellen ya Tibsey, I've had my PicO 5g for a week now and it's the most beautiful piece of aquarium work i have ever seen and the stock back media area works like a charm but let other new owners chime in as well.

I love the PicOs, but 200 for half the tank is tough. Though, with the heater and sand purchase, the two cost the same... The PicO would allow me to keep my sand and heater... But I can't get the fish I want with the PicO

just win the giveaway contest =P. i had a dream yesterday about the 5g PicO. If i win, i will do a caribbean tank:

- florida rics covering the ENTIRE sandbed.

- two very very small islands of zoas and sponge

- gorgonians everywhere

- a pair of neon blue gobies

but if i had to choose between paying $100 for 10g Fusion vs $200 for 5g PicO, I will choose 10g Fusion too...more water = win.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived