Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

Sorry to hear about the nem :(

So what tank do you think will become the new RFA tank?

How is Gertie doing in the new digs? I saw the pic earlier and things looked good. Keep the updates coming :D

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about the nem :(

So what tank do you think will become the new RFA tank?

How is Gertie doing in the new digs? I saw the pic earlier and things looked good. Keep the updates coming :D

Gert's still in the same tank but her inhabitants changed, much more rock, no more nems, but she's doing well. I have to order a cuc for sure and let her have at some snails! They have 2 shops out here but they want like $3 for a snail. I can't/won't do that.

Hey, that looks pretty good. :D

Yeh, not bad for just trying to get some stuff in there.

It will remain the 40g tank w/ crushed coral and I'll repaint the back white. I'm guessing I can use a razor to scrape off the paint???

I've been in touch w/ Dave and he happens to be coming through my area in 2 wks time so our paths will cross. And I'm coming up with a different name for the nem tank. Then I have to look into some flow.

It will remain the 40g tank w/ crushed coral and I'll repaint the back white. I'm guessing I can use a razor to scrape off the paint???

I've been in touch w/ Dave and he happens to be coming through my area in 2 wks time so our paths will cross. And I'm coming up with a different name for the nem tank. Then I have to look into some flow.

Yep, a razor should work fine. Just have plenty of spare blades and change them often. They scratch the glass a lot more easily when they aren't completely sharp.

It was just painted a couple mos back but I decided on going brighter now so hope it comes off with some ease. OR what can I remove it with, for example, some liquid on a sponge, circular motion, kind of thing? That would be cleaner than the bunch of black on my floor since I have no garage to do this in and my kitchen is tiny.

It was just painted a couple mos back but I decided on going brighter now so hope it comes off with some ease. OR what can I remove it with, for example, some liquid on a sponge, circular motion, kind of thing? That would be cleaner than the bunch of black on my floor since I have no garage to do this in and my kitchen is tiny.

What type of paint did you use? There are products to take it off but they could hurt the plastic rim of the tank. A razor blade might be the best solution. I know lacquer thinner would take it off but that could hurt the plastic for sure. The silicone on the tank should be impervious to almost anything.

That light will be sweet on a 40 :)

Gert's still in the same tank but her inhabitants changed, much more rock, no more nems, but she's doing well. I have to order a cuc for sure and let her have at some snails! They have 2 shops out here but they want like $3 for a snail. I can't/won't do that.

Wow 3 bucks for a snail :blink: I can get hermits for a buck local and some snails for a buck also........

Just use a straight edge razor blade. Don't bother with any solvents. It's really won't be bad. Just lay down some of the packing paper you probably have from the move in the area where you will be scraping the tank. (Or can you scrape it on your patio? The weather here is supposed to be nice enough this weekend.)

Yeah, I have to drain it first and take out the 5 rocks in it and put them in a bucket.

Heat wave- 57 for Sat and 60 for Sun.

Tomorrow I have someone from our local club coming over w/ a ladder so I can get the fan ceiling light in and a drill to put some holes in the 55g fish stand turned entertainment ctr.

I need to go to Lowes and pick up some large aquarium hose so I can open the patio door here and let it flow right out. Then I need to remove the black mini gravel. It did dirty very quickly so now I see I would have hated it.

I love the look of black gravel but I can't imagine keeping it clean. Every time I blow off my rocks I get a little sandstorm of white stuff.

Annette, if I were you, I'd take some of the donation money and go to Petco during their $1/gallon sale to just get a new 40B. Scraping the entire back glass free of paint sounds miserable to me! Maybe I'm just lazy :lol:

Annette, if I were you, I'd take some of the donation money and go to Petco during their $1/gallon sale to just get a new 40B. Scraping the entire back glass free of paint sounds miserable to me! Maybe I'm just lazy :lol:

I agree with Felicia! And there is $25 more on the way. Get a new 40b! Fresh tank, fresh start. :)

I agree with Felicia! And there is $25 more on the way. Get a new 40b! Fresh tank, fresh start. :)

Exactly! Then you wouldn't have to scrub it and everything either. I love starting over with a brand new, sparkling clean tank!

I thought of that too. I wonder when the next Petco sale ss coming up. That would be the easiest, quickest way and then sell the 40B to my local club.

I thought of that too. I wonder when the next Petco sale ss coming up. That would be the easiest, quickest way and then sell the 40B to my local club.

Do it! In the meantime get a light ordered, custom Nanobox takes lots of time :)

See, I have an affliction that causes me to do things the hard way, I'm of 100% Polish descent on each side! ha ha.

I get it! I'm like that a lot and very stubborn, but think about the fact that time is money. Getting the paint off in a way that will look good and not scratch up the glass is going to take hours. I'm thinking a new one for $40 is more than worth skipping that giant effort. And like you said, you could sell the perfectly good old tank for like $20 or something :)

Not sure if Petco is still on I was in there today and no sale.......it was going on last week though. Bad thing now about the Petco tanks is they can not be drilled now.......they are now using tempered glass...........

See, I have an affliction that causes me to do things the hard way, I'm of 100% Polish descent on each side! ha ha.

I do the same thing but am only half :lol: the other half is Czech......

I only bought it this yr at the sale before Christmas sometime. I think that's the best way to go, though very few people in my local club are buying tanks.

Not sure if Petco is still on I was in there today and no sale.......it was going on last week though. Bad thing now about the Petco tanks is they can not be drilled now.......they are now using tempered glass...........

When did that happen? I feel like I heard this rumor back when I bought mine, but I called Tetra (Marineland) who makes the Petco tanks and they told me they were only using tempered on the bottom of the 40 breeders. There's a label on the bottom panel that says tempered glass, but its only referring to that bottom panel. At least that's how mine was.

When did that happen? I feel like I heard this rumor back when I bought mine, but I called Tetra (Marineland) who makes the Petco tanks and they told me they were only using tempered on the bottom of the 40 breeders. There's a label on the bottom panel that says tempered glass, but its only referring to that bottom panel. At least that's how mine was.

I was reading a note in one of the tanks at Petco the other day and it said do not drill tempered glass.....also a local fish store told me the same thing. He had a customer bring in a tank to drill and it popped......he called and the manager said yes all panels are now tempered. I might be just local who knows.

I was reading a note in one of the tanks at Petco the other day and it said do not drill tempered glass.....also a local fish store told me the same thing. He had a customer bring in a tank to drill and it popped......he called and the manager said yes all panels are now tempered. I might be just local who knows.

Weird! Yeah the one I bought had a note about not drilling tempered glass, but it was just in reference to the bottom panel. They just didn't bother to say which panels were tempered. I'd definitely check and see what brand your local Petco is using and give them a call to double check. I know I've heard that different Petcos carry different brands. I believe some carry Aqueon and some carry Tetra.

Weird! Yeah the one I bought had a note about not drilling tempered glass, but it was just in reference to the bottom panel. They just didn't bother to say which panels were tempered. I'd definitely check and see what brand your local Petco is using and give them a call to double check. I know I've heard that different Petcos carry different brands. I believe some carry Aqueon and some carry Tetra.

Ours are Aqueon.......

Archived