Cultivated Reef

Ninja's 12g PicO S III ~ Tank Leaking Taking it Down ~

ninjamyst

Sooo I got an orange plate coral today...for $30! it was $50 when I asked at 1pm. Then I walked by again at 2pm and he said $40. Then I walked by again as they were packing up their stuff at 3pm, and I got it for $30 =P. He also threw in a yellow leptastrea frag for $5. My question is...can plate corals touch another? I have a green helmet plate which looks to be different species than this large orange plate. Can they touch? Can plate corals touch zoas / rics ??

i see plate corals close to each other at the LCS or really on top

of each other. they will often crawl over another one for some reason.

ha! so i think you're okay there. not sure about the other corals?

and also, yippee on a great deal! that's how i feel about my flower

nem for $25!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooo I got an orange plate coral today...for $30! it was $50 when I asked at 1pm. Then I walked by again at 2pm and he said $40. Then I walked by again as they were packing up their stuff at 3pm, and I got it for $30 =P. He also threw in a yellow leptastrea frag for $5. My question is...can plate corals touch another? I have a green helmet plate which looks to be different species than this large orange plate. Can they touch? Can plate corals touch zoas / rics ??

As someone once told me, great price on that orange plate!

Yes, my orange is touching my green which is touching my purple, all huddled in the corner. I've had my plate touch other LPS like favia and the favia be okay. Euphyllia gets furious at it and sends the stingers out. Dunno about zoas and rics, though I doubt it.

$40 a pop. Crazy expensive. When the price goes down, I will look again. Hopefully by then they will improve the tank filtration to make them easily to care for.

Your boyfriend didn't know?! There were at least 10 different vendors / LFS from Chicagoland area there and some from Michigan and even Ohio. It's every year so make sure to go next year! They have tons of raffles. People were winning Kessil lights, all sorts of food, skimmers, anything aqua related, and they had at least 10 50+ gallons tank for raffle and a bunch of nano ones. We put $20 into a 120 gallon tank but didn't win =(. My dad put $1 into a Aqueon 5 gallon, and he won it. ARGH. But we wouldn't know what to do with 120 gallon tank anyways if we won. Haha.

Well, he thought it was vendor only. :( I feel like we missed out. We spent all day Saturday driving around to LFS looking for a pink bird's nest for his tank and came up empty handed. I bet we woulda found a nice one there...

Well, he thought it was vendor only. :( I feel like we missed out. We spent all day Saturday driving around to LFS looking for a pink bird's nest for his tank and came up empty handed. I bet we woulda found a nice one there...

awww...next year! maybe you will win a tank next year too!

This will make you feel better though. I saw one pink rock anemones at the convention, and it was going for $50. The guy said pink is rare, and it was tiny too! So you should feel good about that pink nem you got from Insane Corals.

As someone once told me, great price on that orange plate!

Yes, my orange is touching my green which is touching my purple, all huddled in the corner. I've had my plate touch other LPS like favia and the favia be okay. Euphyllia gets furious at it and sends the stingers out. Dunno about zoas and rics, though I doubt it.

My frogspawn already sent a stinger out and zapped the orange =(. I caught it quickly and moved it further away. May have to sell more zoas to clear up the sandbed...

awww...next year! maybe you will win a tank next year too!

This will make you feel better though. I saw one pink rock anemones at the convention, and it was going for $50. The guy said pink is rare, and it was tiny too! So you should feel good about that pink nem you got from Insane Corals.

Sweet! That does make me feel good!

I've been watching Insane Coral's website like a hawk cause I want to snag a second nem. Pinky needs a boyfriend! :wub:

Fishsticks2187

Pink streaked wrasse FTW :). Mine gets really playful at dusk. It's comical to watch him. I swear he thinks he's a puppy :)

(hope you don't mind the photo, ninja!)

IMG_8281_zpsa20241e5.jpg

great shot! my pink streak wrasse hides anytime she sees me take out my phone. how many times a day/ a week and what do you feed your pink streaked wrasse? i feed mine twice a day mysis but i dont know if that is over kill

Plate on plate is ok. Zoas on plate shouldn't be a problem. Ricordea on plate, bad news is my guess. You could always try it and see :). Nice price :D.

wooohoo. just found out my plate photo won Photo of the Month at the local forum; theme was "feeding". Won a $25 gift certificate to http://premiumaquatics.com/ =)

14838634729_18e3a8b9e5.jpg

That's fantastic...congrats :happydance:.

great shot! my pink streak wrasse hides anytime she sees me take out my phone. how many times a day/ a week and what do you feed your pink streaked wrasse? i feed mine twice a day mysis but i dont know if that is over kill

Thank you :). I feed all fish twice a day. This one doesn't eat a ton of the food I offer, but he's a fatty. He's definitely picking at stuff in the tank. Things I've fed that I've seen him eat are live blackworms, NLS pellets (the tiny ones), and frozen cyclopeeze.

gorgeous! i just bypassed the neon green

hammer for a more purple one. your fotos

are making me regret that. ha!

also new plate envy. but i literally have

no more room on my sand bed!

Hey ninja,

What do you run your nano box at percentage-wise? Channel 1 & 2?

right now, i am running 110 blues, 50 whites. so 43% blues, 20% whites. I want to go higher but I am scared I will loose color with zoas because of too much light.

right now, i am running 110 blues, 50 whites. so 43% blues, 20% whites. I want to go higher but I am scared I will loose color with zoas because of too much light.

Thanks!

It just looks so crisp yet no sign of windex anywhere! :wub:

Looking good bro! I love the plate too. I just picked up a micro plate and I am infatuated with it. Great pics as always!

doh! u just reminded me that i was suppose to pick up a micro plate at the convention too. i saw it on my way in, and had them put one aside for me to pick up lter. i totally forgot about it....it was tiny! size of a quarter. dang.

doh! u just reminded me that i was suppose to pick up a micro plate at the convention too. i saw it on my way in, and had them put one aside for me to pick up lter. i totally forgot about it....it was tiny! size of a quarter. dang.

That's how big the one I have is. Sits next to the micro blasto now. My LFS hd about ten of them. They are awesome. I would like to get six or eight in different colors. Would be sweet.

Hey ninja, any update on Mooshu? How has he been doing since his surgery?

Thanks for asking about Mooshu! They took off the bandage and he's back to his normal jerky self, except his skinny chicken leg is showing =P.

Archived