Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

One Stop Guide for Your Shrimp!

AFellowReefer

Well hopefully more people who have kept these shrimp will come out with their experiences. I wouldn't want any one else to get bumblebees and have them just die. I was going to breed them because I read a report of them being relatively easy to breed. Their larvae were big enough to consume BBS. But those dreams left when I lost my shrimp.

Oh I forget to mention, awesome write up!

Yea! First person to give their review! It is now in the bumble bee shrimp section!!

Thanks guys!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well there you go - When I was asked what shrimp I wanted, I said "oh, either Hinge Beaked or Peppermint, either is fine" and I'm SO SO glad that I ended up with 2 peppermints. I really didn't have much of an idea how different they all really were!

Invaluable thread! Thanks!! :-D

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Question regarding Pedersen and White Spotted anemone shrimp. Can you have more than one in a tank? I want to get 2 White Spotted and 2 Pedersen. I read on KPA website that they will host ricordeas too, and I have alot of rics. Final question, if I later on get a skunk cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp, will they kill the smaller anemone shrimps?

• Like 1

Great thread. I'm going to pick up 3 skunks now :)

I have to add that sexy's have dropped from one of my favorites to being banished to my "tank of shame". Despite constant feedings they (3 of them) got a taste for my zoa/paly skirts and decimated almost every colony (which you did mention may happen if not fed enough). I hope they are better behaved for others but they're off the list when it comes to my DT. Maybe once they got a taste for the skirts they still eat them hungry or not?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
AFellowReefer

Question regarding Pedersen and White Spotted anemone shrimp. Can you have more than one in a tank? I want to get 2 White Spotted and 2 Pedersen. I read on KPA website that they will host ricordeas too, and I have alot of rics. Final question, if I later on get a skunk cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp, will they kill the smaller anemone shrimps?

Sorry I took so long to answer your question. Its been a while since I have been on. They might host ricordeas, but from what I've heard you have a better chance at them hosting hairy mushrooms. Also the pedersons and the white spots should all be fine as long as you provide enough hosts. Generally they will remain with each of their species. And lastly, scarlet skunks and fire shrimp are both very harmless and should be no problem with your smaller shrimp.

Great thread. I'm going to pick up 3 skunks now :)

I have to add that sexy's have dropped from one of my favorites to being banished to my "tank of shame". Despite constant feedings they (3 of them) got a taste for my zoa/paly skirts and decimated almost every colony (which you did mention may happen if not fed enough). I hope they are better behaved for others but they're off the list when it comes to my DT. Maybe once they got a taste for the skirts they still eat them hungry or not?

Oh man! I'm sorry that happened. Unfortunately, something like that may happen. We have to remember that crustaceans are opportunistic and may go a head and eat what we don't want them to. You're probably right though. We all know sexy shrimp have a proclivity for eating zoa skirts. And once they got the "taste of blood" they didn't come back.

In regards to the scarlet skunk cleaner- be careful how many scarlet skunk cleaners you put in your tank. Depending on your tank size, a mated pair will be established and then they will kill the odd man out. This shouldn't occur if you have a tank I would say 30+ gallons.

What about the Emperor shrimp? That's seen relatively often in regards to some of the rarer shrimp.

Yea that's actually one I realized I missed and am going to work on. I have been pretty busy lately, but I will definitely add an emperor shrimp part to the encyclopedia. Thanks!

In regards to the scarlet skunk cleaner- be careful how many scarlet skunk cleaners you put in your tank. Depending on your tank size, a mated pair will be established and then they will kill the odd man out. This shouldn't occur if you have a tank I would say 30+ gallons.

Thanks :) I've actually decided to avoid shrimp altogether. They're not easy to catch if they do turn rogue lol.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Question: I recently got a skunk cleaner shrimp. I don't have any fish, just a few hermits and some soft coral. How often should I feed the cleaner shrimp and how much? I have small shrimp pellets and I've given him 2 of them this week spaced out over a few days. Should I be feeding him every other day, or twice a week? Since I don't have fish or LPS to feed, I am really only feeding him.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this incredibly informative resource. Very helpful in planning which shrimp might be best for my tank...and which ones to rule out completely given my setup.

• 2 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

Question about my Skunk cleaner....he has been in my tank for 2 weeks and was very active and scrambling for food, coming to meet me and walking on the surface getting pellets etc. But since he has molted he hides behind the rock and won't come out...I know they hide until their new shell gets hard but its been 3 days and he doesn't seem to be feeling well, he doesn't come out to eat even, although I am spot feeding him small pellets and some Mysis, he lets them descend to the sand bed before he's interested....I dose iodine also, what is wrong with him. Jaques is one of my faves and I don't want anything to happen to him :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I had to sign up to say thanks for such a great thread, btw about the peppermint shrimp they eat apista not aipsta , that's the only grammar mistake I found lol... Hope u don't take it the wrong way! It's a super long post! Added to my bookmarks!

Ps: I'm only talking about the grammar mistake because u said this is a shrimp encyclopedia (I hope I spell that word alright)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
JerseyFireShrimp

does anyone like this? 80 views is a lot with no replies. When I say I worked real hard on this, I worked REAL hard on this. You don't even have to read this thing all the way through, as I know it is a lot of information... but just saying "nice work" would mean a lot to me...

This is a superb article and I appreciate the fact that you did so much work on it. As a beginner who's close to starting his first reef tank, the information presented here is very valuable. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

does anyone like this? 80 views is a lot with no replies. When I say I worked real hard on this, I worked REAL hard on this. You don't even have to read this thing all the way through, as I know it is a lot of information... but just saying "nice work" would mean a lot to me...

I found this really really helpful!

• 2 months later...
braidensfish

Hey, great thread. Just wondering what size tank i would need for the following, and if they're all compatible
5x Sexy shrimp
1x White spotted anemone shrimp
1x Periclimenes pedersoni/Caribbean anemone shrimp
1x Periclimenes hothuisi
1x Pom pom Crab
2x Porcelain crab

The tank will have
2x Bubble tip anemone
4x Mini maxi carpet anemone

TIA :):D

• 3 months later...