SaltCritters.com

One Stop Guide for Your Shrimp!

AFellowReefer

Great post! +1, very informative. I definitely learned not to add a coral banded shrimp with my cleaner, but if I choose to use the smaller blue CBS. Saved me some $ thx!

What would be the rule of thumb for how many shrimp per gallon of water? Right now I have a fire shrimp and skunk, I really want another and that would be a blue CBS? Thoughts? This is a 28g nanometers with about 22g of water.

• 1 month later...

I will never ever buy a Coral Banded Shrimp. I have a 3.5ft tank and I just added a firefish into my tank. Within 2 days, I could not find the fish and when I look into the CBS's usual hiding place, I saw my firefish with only his head, his bone and tail. I immediately took him out at night and place him in my sump.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Crystalseida

Im pretty new to all this and recently bought some shrimp. I think they are acting weird so I googled more info on them and this came up. I just want to say thank you so so so much for posting all this info. I love how you posted pictures as well. You did very good job! I read absolutely EVERYTHING and I never do that lol I set up an account on here just so I can talk to you and tell you how much I appreciate all your hard work' it has helped me out big time!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I currently have 5 sexy shrimp of various age.. I have never seen one eating any of my zoa's, and have only seen them on a zoa for a short time... they don't care for rock flowers or my mini-maxi, but simply stay in one of the three kenya trees I have... I feed the "area" with frozen mysis, but have never seen them eating anything. they are definitely fat and happy though. I have them in a 25 lagoon and they stay in the corner and rarely stray far from the kenya trees

the bumble bee shrimp I have seemed to be the village idiot to start with, but they quickly learn "when" feeding time is, and "where" it is..

start by hand feeding frozen mysis with tweezers in the same area of the tank.. they are clumsy, so make sure they don't drop it and actually get fed. I spot feed them daily when the lights are going down. I have read that they will harass sea cucumbers. I have 2 spiny cucumbers and have had to shoo the bee away from the cucumbers only a few times.. I don't think the bees like to be harassed and quickly learn to leave the cucumbers alone

other shrimp in the tank are a pistol (species unknown)

a skunk cleaner (that recently went to the LFS because it was just way too big)

and a glass anemone shrimp that I can't seem to officially ID. it's clear with red dots and levitates around with legs hanging down like some creepy alien life form looking for a race to decimate

excellent write up btw, I appreciate the time you took

• 3 months later...
squiddlydiddly

thanks for your shrimp guide...very interesting and informative. we are newbies in saltwater and have alot to learn. we purchased one scarlet banded last week and it was rather shy but yesterday added another and what a difference! both are the first active just before sunrise and have been super busy grooming our blue hippo tang and niger trigger....wonderful and amazing little creatures....great additions to our 150gallon tank

The Microprosthema Genus

The Microprosthema genus is a unique one as they will host flame scallops.

Microprosthema semilaeve (Lima Shrimp)

256480245_07fc51631a.jpg

Other Common Names: Lima Boxer Shrimp

Care Level: Difficult

Aggressiveness: Peaceful

Reef Compatible: Yes

Water Conditions: 75-82° F, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025

Maximum Size: .5”

Compatibility to other species: Do not house with fish that will hunt shrimp, such as groupers, anglers or lion fish. This is also a small shrimp, only getting a half an inch, so be cautious, as virtually every fish will eat these shrimp.

Origin: Caribbean

Potential Lifespan: 1+ years

Family: Spongicolidae

Looking like this crustacean came straight from Hell, this animal is very costly and extremely small. Very little is known about this shrimp. The animals itself is not difficult to care for, however they live in the mantle of flame scallops, which have always been regarded as challenging to take care of. When getting Lima shrimp, be aware they prefer groups as the male will have a harem within the mantle of the flame scallop. Their requirement to live in flame scallops and extremely small size has prevented this shrimp from becoming popular in the hobby.

So I have kept these guys successfully with and without a flame scallop. I saw them and pulled the trigger and picked up the scallops they were hosting only for the benefit of the shrimp. Like most flame scallops they didnt last in my 70 gallon cube even with me trying everything to keep them fed.

What happened after the scallop died? They became cave shrimp. I thought after the scallops died the shrimp did too, until I was being a nerd and looked at my tank from the bottom. Ends up they were living in the cave/burrow system created by my pistol shrimp and my goby. They lived there for close to a year when I lost power and was away for an extended weekend. I never saw them after the scallops died but they just hung out in the tunnels and did their own thing which I found funny.

Very cool looking shrimp though.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Looking to buy a pederson shrimp but I'm wondering if anyone knows if they prefer to be kept in groups/pairs/single? I only have one RFA in my 12 gallon so if they will fight over it then it would make sense to only get 1, thanks :)

• 1 month later...
Ravi balineni
On 3/20/2017 at 9:13 AM, zhark said:

Looking to buy a pederson shrimp but I'm wondering if anyone knows if they prefer to be kept in groups/pairs/single? I only have one RFA in my 12 gallon so if they will fight over it then it would make sense to only get 1, thanks :)

Super cute shrimp ,In a 12 gallon I doubt they will fight ...  if they fight you may have to buy another rock flower anemone ? and that's always fun !

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/6/2013 at 1:02 AM, AFellowReefer said:

does anyone like this? 80 views is a lot with no replies. When I say I worked real hard on this, I worked REAL hard on this. You don't even have to read this thing all the way through, as I know it is a lot of information... but just saying "nice work" would mean a lot to me...

Are you kidding?! I registered for this forum just to let you know how helpful it was! Thank you. Thanks for putting it all together.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
On 8/6/2013 at 12:24 PM, AFellowReefer said:

The Stenopus Genus

This genus includes the members of the coral banded shrimp, or boxing shrimp. It contains eleven species, and is part of the family of Stenopodidea.

Stenopus hispidus (Banded Coral Shrimp)

banded-coral-shrimp.png

Other Common Names: Boxing Shrimp

Care Level: Easy

Aggressiveness: Aggressive

Maximum Size: 3”

Compatibility to other species: Do not house with fish that will hunt shrimp, such as groupers, anglers or lion fish. Do not put these crustaceans with other shrimp, or small or slow moving fish as they may be killed or injured.

Origin: Throughout the tropical waters, including the Caribbean and Indo-Pacific

Potential Lifespan: 3+ years

Family: Stenopodidea

This is by far my least favorite shrimp offered in the hobby. The coral banded shrimp is a mean animal. They will kill any shrimp that infringes in their territory. They will also kill and eat small fish. I hear many stories of this shrimp killing a goby and eating it. They have been also known for injuring slower moving fish. Therefore I do not recommend the coral banded unless you set up a species specific tank. Ten gallons is of adequate size.

This shrimp really travels around, as they are found in almost every coral reef ecosystem. They are solitary creatures and should not be housed with members of their own species unless it is a mated pair. They are mostly nocturnal and during the day will remain in a rock crevice. Be wary if you have small fish or shrimp housed with the coral banded at night, as this is when most of the killing occurs.

The coral banded shrimp may sometimes pick at zoanthids, however this is uncommon. In nature, the coral banded will act as a cleaner shrimp and clean the fish, they should clean your fish as well, however this is not always the case. Feeding the shrimp is not difficult as they will scavenge for food and rid many pests. They will also eat bristle worms. The male is usually smaller than the female.

Stenopus tenuirostris (Blue Coral Banded Shrimp)

blueBandedCoralShrimp1.jpg

Other Common Names: Blue Boxer Shrimp

Maximum Size: 1.5”

Compatibility to other species: Do not house with fish that will hunt shrimp, such as groupers, anglers or lion fish.

Origin: Indo-Pacific

This is a much better alternative to Stenopus hispidus as the blue coral banded is much smaller and therefore much more peaceful and less prone to attack. It is actually curious why this species is not as popular as S. hispidus. This shrimp is nocturnal, and will remain reclusive during the day. They will also act as a cleaner shrimp, ridding you fish of parasites. Additionally, the blue coral banded is an attractive part of your cleanup crew as they will help eradicate pests in you tank. Do not keep this species with other of their own kind as fighting will follow. You may have them in mated pairs. This shrimp can be put with other peaceful shrimp, however be cautious when placing this shrimp with a smaller species of shrimp, as the smaller species may be killed. This shrimp will scavenge for food, you may also supplement their feeding with shrimp pellets and meaty foods, such as raw shrimp or fish.

Stenopus zanzibaricus (Gold Coral Banded Shrimp)

stenopus-zanzibaricus.jpg

Other Common Names: Gold Boxer Shrimp

Aggressiveness: Aggressive

Maximum Size: 3”

Compatibility to other species: Do not house with fish that will hunt shrimp, such as groupers, anglers or lion fish. This species will not tolerate others of its own kind, other shrimp, and will kill small and methodical fish

Origin: Caribbean and Indo-Pacific

Much like their cousin, Stenopus hispidus, these shrimp are very aggressive. They will often kill small fish and will kill shrimp. They are very territorial and will not tolerate members of their own species unless it is a mated pair. I do not recommend these shrimp for any set up except for a species specific tank, or you know you will ONLY have large fish (that will not eat them) and clen up crew (absent of any other shrimp of course.) However, be aware they may injure your larger fish as well. When young, these shrimp will provide a cleaning service for your fish, but as they get older, they become more aggressive and are less likely to clean your fish. They will also rid you tank of many pests, and are known for eradicating bristle worm populations in very short order.

i bought a cbs, as they are cheaper than skunk cleaners at my lfs. he was cool for a while, then he started eating my xenia. all of my lovely xenia is now dead. then he ate two of my dwarf yellow tip hermits, started stealing food from my cynarina, and to top it all of, killed one of my clownfish. lfs didnt want him back after i told them this. he now lives alone in the sump. CBS ARE NOT REEF SAFE!! he is such a character though. i will be buying a skunk cleaner to replace him.

On 11/7/2017 at 4:28 PM, themummra said:

Would 2 Skunk, 3 sexy, and 1 blue coral banded be ok in a 40breeder? The only other inverts  (besides coral and anemone) are trochus and cerith snails)

yes, i reckon. inverts (exept cephalopods) do not count towards total stocking.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:39 AM, Outofstock said:

The Microprosthema Genus

The Microprosthema genus is a unique one as they will host flame scallops.

Microprosthema semilaeve (Lima Shrimp)

256480245_07fc51631a.jpg

Other Common Names: Lima Boxer Shrimp

Care Level: Difficult

Maximum Size: .5”

Compatibility to other species: Do not house with fish that will hunt shrimp, such as groupers, anglers or lion fish. This is also a small shrimp, only getting a half an inch, so be cautious, as virtually every fish will eat these shrimp.

Origin: Caribbean

Potential Lifespan: 1+ years

Family: Spongicolidae

Looking like this crustacean came straight from Hell, this animal is very costly and extremely small. Very little is known about this shrimp. The animals itself is not difficult to care for, however they live in the mantle of flame scallops, which have always been regarded as challenging to take care of. When getting Lima shrimp, be aware they prefer groups as the male will have a harem within the mantle of the flame scallop. Their requirement to live in flame scallops and extremely small size has prevented this shrimp from becoming popular in the hobby.

So I have kept these guys successfully with and without a flame scallop. I saw them and pulled the trigger and picked up the scallops they were hosting only for the benefit of the shrimp. Like most flame scallops they didnt last in my 70 gallon cube even with me trying everything to keep them fed.

What happened after the scallop died? They became cave shrimp. I thought after the scallops died the shrimp did too, until I was being a nerd and looked at my tank from the bottom. Ends up they were living in the cave/burrow system created by my pistol shrimp and my goby. They lived there for close to a year when I lost power and was away for an extended weekend. I never saw them after the scallops died but they just hung out in the tunnels and did their own thing which I found funny.

Very cool looking shrimp though.

wow, i didnt even know this existed! neat little critter

On 1/18/2017 at 2:12 AM, squiddlydiddly said:

thanks for your shrimp guide...very interesting and informative. we are newbies in saltwater and have alot to learn. we purchased one scarlet banded last week and it was rather shy but yesterday added another and what a difference! both are the first active just before sunrise and have been super busy grooming our blue hippo tang and niger trigger....wonderful and amazing little creatures....great additions to our 150gallon tank

keep an eye on the trigger... if he gets hungry, he might eat the shrimp. nigers are definitely the best trigger in this respect, and the only one anyone in their right minds would put in a reef tank

5 hours ago, BlennyBoi said:

i bought a cbs, as they are cheaper than skunk cleaners at my lfs. he was cool for a while, then he started eating my xenia. all of my lovely xenia is now dead. then he ate two of my dwarf yellow tip hermits, started stealing food from my cynarina, and to top it all of, killed one of my clownfish. lfs didnt want him back after i told them this. he now lives alone in the sump. CBS ARE NOT REEF SAFE!! he is such a character though. i will be buying a skunk cleaner to replace him.

The blue and yellow varieties are tiny.  I had a blue one and he was no more than 1.5" and a model citizen.  I miss him. :sad:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is awesome guide, very well done and I am very thankful you made it!

I have a 10G tank and it recently got overrun by Algae and Aiptasia while I was on Holidays. 
Strongly considering fully clearing it and making it a Coral + Shrimp tank, this has really helped!