Cultivated Reef

One Stop Guide for Your Shrimp!

AFellowReefer

AFellowReefer

I think I figured out which shrimp was missing - the marine ghost shrimp. They're not popular and usually rare in the hobby, but they're excellent feeder shrimp. :P Of course, this guide refers to ornamental shrimp, so feeder shrimp will not be included (I think).

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/271125-marine-ghost-shrimp/

Yes, I thought about adding these shrimp, but I am sticking to ornamentals, not feeders. Perhaps some people do keep them as pets though, so I might add that to the encyclopedia.

This is impressive! How long did it take you to do all this? Regardless, very informative. :)

Thanks! It took me about two months writing things here and there, finally the last two days I was on overdrive in attempt to finish!

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Impressive. Perhaps some additional info on what social groupings are good/which conspecifics tolerated? Like paired skunk cleaners being prone to killing off a 3rd, the odd-number group preference of the sexies (which you DO list, just using the example) or which different shrimp species can be housed in the same 10-15 gallon tank.

Good work! Learned a few things reading it... in this hobby it pays to not confuse "long" with "thorough". ;)

• Like 1
AFellowReefer

Impressive. Perhaps some additional info on what social groupings are good/which conspecifics tolerated? Like paired skunk cleaners being prone to killing off a 3rd, the odd-number group preference of the sexies (which you DO list, just using the example) or which different shrimp species can be housed in the same 10-15 gallon tank.

Good work! Learned a few things reading it... in this hobby it pays to not confuse "long" with "thorough". ;)

Good idea, I tried to do that under "compatibility," but was not as complete as I would of liked it. Will definitely add that to the encyclopedia.

How about sea star shrimp? Similar to the lima shrimp IMO.

I did not even know this species was offered in the hobby. But since they apparently are, I will definitely add them to my encyclopedia. I have always thought they are so cool how they live on starfish.

Rollermonkey

You mention that it's important to be able to ID Rhynchocinetes uritai, but then don't give us any identifying characteristics or a picture.

:(

A request, similar to what was asked: Can you make a matrix that shows which shrimp can be kept together? Kind of like the LA fish compatibility chart. Also, I think Hawkfish are known for eating shrimp, so you might want to include them in your no-no list of fish not to keep with ornamental shrimp.

Fantastic job though!

(And I wanted to pluralize shrimp with an 's' every time, just to grind your gears. :P )

• Like 1
AFellowReefer

You mention that it's important to be able to ID Rhynchocinetes uritai, but then don't give us any identifying characteristics or a picture.

:(

I did? Where? Rhynchocinetes durbanensis and Rhynchocinetes uritai have very similar habits and so it really does not matter to distinguish between the two. Also, it is rather difficult to distinguish between the two because of how (this is a direct quote under "The Rhynchocinetes Genus" (post #5-) "There is only a slight difference between the two as R. uritai has 7-8 teeth on their rostrum and coloration is somewhat duller, while R. dubanensis has 9-10 teeth on their rostrum (see shrimp anatomy for rostrum and teeth.)" The rostrum is the "beak" or "nose" of the shrimp and the teeth are the razor-like protrusions from the shrimp's rostrum.

If you are talking about the differences between Lysmata wurdenmanni and R. uritai, I was hoping you would continue down the list as that post has too much memory used up on it and can no longer handle pictures :(. Perhaps I can fit "proceed to The Rhynchocinetes Genus for further identification" in the peppermint shrimp section.

A request, similar to what was asked: Can you make a matrix that shows which shrimp can be kept together? Kind of like the LA fish compatibility chart. Also, I think Hawkfish are known for eating shrimp, so you might want to include them in your no-no list of fish not to keep with ornamental shrimp.

Certainly! I'll start on it ASAP and will tell you when it is ready. I am adding-

-a bio on marine ghost shrimp

-a bio on sea star shrimp

-compatibility chart (don't know how I will go about making it... maybe make it in excel, take a screen shot and then post? Will have to poke around and see what I can do...)

Regarding hawkfish- It really depends upon the species, I might edit it and say "some hawkfish" or add them to the compatibility chart.

Fantastic job though!

Thanks!

(And I wanted to pluralize shrimp with an 's' every time, just to grind your gears. :P )

:lol:

Rollermonkey

I figured out what happened. I read your reply in the "Peppermint Shrimp For Aptaisia Control" thread.

Then I clicked into this thread, and skimmed when I got to Peppermints in here, and didn't notice that the recommendation concerning ID of the 4 species wasn't part of the quote.

You're wording in this thread is fine, and accurate. I just misapplied what you said in that thread to this one.

I did? Where? Rhynchocinetes durbanensis and Rhynchocinetes uritai have very similar habits and so it really does not matter to distinguish between the two. Also, it is rather difficult to distinguish between the two because of how (this is a direct quote under "The Rhynchocinetes Genus" (post #5-) "There is only a slight difference between the two as R. uritai has 7-8 teeth on their rostrum and coloration is somewhat duller, while R. dubanensis has 9-10 teeth on their rostrum (see shrimp anatomy for rostrum and teeth.)" The rostrum is the "beak" or "nose" of the shrimp and the teeth are the razor-like protrusions from the shrimp's rostrum.

If you are talking about the differences between Lysmata wurdenmanni and R. uritai, I was hoping you would continue down the list as that post has too much memory used up on it and can no longer handle pictures :(. Perhaps I can fit "proceed to The Rhynchocinetes Genus for further identification" in the peppermint shrimp section.

AFellowReefer, on 14 Aug 2013 - 21:25, said:

Here is an excerpt from my peppermint shrimp section from my guide on shrimp- I hope it helps you.

...Confusion: The Real Reason People think Peppermint Shrimp are “bad”

This is a common story; aquarist buys peppermint shrimp, peppermint shrimp added to tank, peppermint shrimp eats coral or dies within a few weeks. Common story, right? This is due to miscommunication of the common name. While MANY species look similar to peppermints, they are NOT peppermints. The most common imposters are the camel shrimp (Rhynchocinetes durbanensis & Rhynchocinetes uritai,) and the Catalina peppermint shrimp (Lysmata californica.) While camel shrimp will take care of your Aiptasia problem, they will also eat corals and are consequently not reef safe. Like the Catalina goby, the Catalina peppermint shrimp is a temperate species. They are unable to survive in warm temperatures for long periods of time and quickly die as a result. Therefore, please make sure that the species is Lysmata wurdemanni, and not the other three..."

Be aware, this is not everything on the peppermints, just an excerpt that is relevant to this thread. Make sure to buy L. wurdemanni AND NOT the other three. Learn how to tell the four apart from one another. This will increase the odds that you will have an actual peppermint shrimp.

• 2 weeks later...
AFellowReefer

Alright, as I said I would let everyone know, I just added the compatibility chart and the bio on sea star shrimp. the chart is in the first post and the bio is in the Periclimenes genus section. I still have to work on the marine ghost shrimp.

• 2 weeks later...

It was probably covered somewhere but for those contemplating about adding Sexies with Six-line wresse or even a Skunk Cleaner shrimp be cautious. They might end up being harassed or dead. Fair warning

• Like 1

great article, i work in an aquarium store in NC and with your permit ion would love to bookmark as a reference for customers?

Yea, absolutely! That's why it was created, to help people out as much as possible.

wow! this is the first I'm seeing this thread, outstanding job putting this together!!!

I will probably link this thread to a couple facebook groups I'm in if you don't mind..

one thing I'd be interested in is clam compatability.. are there any shrimp that will bother clams and/or feed on clams? I don't think that can be lumped in with coral. -I was pretty heartbroken when my emerald started munching on my clam, he got banished to sump and the clam was fine, then about a month later a fish started pestering it, he went to the LFS after no locals would adopt him with such short notice..

also agree this should be a sticky..

• Like 1

wow! this is the first I'm seeing this thread, outstanding job putting this together!!!

I will probably link this thread to a couple facebook groups I'm in if you don't mind..

one thing I'd be interested in is clam compatability.. are there any shrimp that will bother clams and/or feed on clams? I don't think that can be lumped in with coral. -I was pretty heartbroken when my emerald started munching on my clam, he got banished to sump and the clam was fine, then about a month later a fish started pestering it, he went to the LFS after no locals would adopt him with such short notice..

also agree this should be a sticky..

Thanks! And it is fine to link!

That's an interesting topic you bring up, I would say the Saron genus would be a no go, just because there are so many different species out there it is hard to make heads or tails, and generally pick at corals. The Lysmata genus should be with caution, as I have heard of them going after clams, but it is often due to the fact the clam is dying. And most the other shrimp should be fine. Emeralds are annoying. Those guys will eat anything, its ridiculous. That's why I just don't even bother with them anymore. And sorry about the clam!

Does anyone know where one might find Saron rectirostris? A very cool little shrimp, but I'm not sure if it is regularly available anywhere.

They are a very rare species to find, so I am not sure of anyone who sells these shrimp. I would say something like aquabid or a mom and pop store is the best place to find one, but it would not be something that they have "every day." Good luck on finding one though!

I love sexy shrimp. They are probably my faves. Seeing people use the word 'shrimps' makes me cringe as much as when I see 'starfish.'

"Starfish" bothers me too, but I'll be honest, I do say starfish sometimes. Its just as annoying as someone saying jellyfish. There was this one show I was watching that was referring to the Humboldt squid as a fish. "This fish does this," "This fish does that." Like what the heck people? It was such a blatant error on their part. I had to finally turn the show off it was bothering me so much.

• Like 1
Thanks! And it is fine to link!

That's an interesting topic you bring up, I would say the Saron genus would be a no go, just because there are so many different species out there it is hard to make heads or tails, and generally pick at corals. The Lysmata genus should be with caution, as I have heard of them going after clams, but it is often due to the fact the clam is dying. And most the other shrimp should be fine. Emeralds are annoying. Those guys will eat anything, its ridiculous. That's why I just don't even bother with them anymore. And sorry about the clam!

They are a very rare species to find, so I am not sure of anyone who sells these shrimp. I would say something like aquabid or a mom and pop store is the best place to find one, but it would not be something that they have "every day." Good luck on finding one though!

"Starfish" bothers me too, but I'll be honest, I do say starfish sometimes. Its just as annoying as someone saying jellyfish. There was this one show I was watching that was referring to the Humboldt squid as a fish. "This fish does this," "This fish does that." Like what the heck people? It was such a blatant error on their part. I had to finally turn the show off it was bothering me so much.

the clam is doing great now that all the clam eaters are out of the tank Lol..
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a couple of bumblebee shrimp for few months. I switched to feeding them every other day and a week into it I found one dead and the other one missing. I think these shrimp need to be fed every day. Mine only ate frozen(mysis and brine) and were terrible at "hunting." They also didn't eat any asterina stars, they were very healthy and active shrimp when I fed them frozen every day.

LOL, I already asked here:

"There is my thread! Thanks for reading! Questions, comments, and concerns are all welcome! Also, if there is anything I missed, or you would like to add, tell me, and I will put it up in the thread. I would actually like to have some user’s experiences for all of the species I mentioned, if you are willing, write one and pm it to me where I can then post it where it belongs. I hope this was a useful resource for whoever needed it!"

• Like 1

I had a couple of bumblebee shrimp for few months. I switched to feeding them every other day and a week into it I found one dead and the other one missing. I think these shrimp need to be fed every day. Mine only ate frozen(mysis and brine) and were terrible at "hunting." They also didn't eat any asterina stars, they were very healthy and active shrimp when I fed them frozen every day.

Yea! First person to give their review! It is now in the bumble bee shrimp section!!

Thanks, it's in my favorites.

Awesome Post!

Thanks guys!