Top Shelf Aquatics

3 gallon mantis tank

Based

I didnt want to jack that persons thread, but you wouldnt believe all the stupidity you here working at a fish store, people have honestly asked me if they could keep a nemo in a bowl with fresh water. Cant wait for finding dory to come out, hopefully ill be off at my real college and not my community college (Dont know what to major in, i was going to major in architecture, then i read all the processes of it and decided it wasnt going to happen because it takes like 8 years of school, then like 10 years after that to actually start making big money) for i dont have to here people if the can put a blue tang, probably theyll say dory in a fish bowl.

It is pretty depressing how many people have the IQ of a walnut. Common sense should tell a person with little/no fish experience that a fish from the ocean can't live in a freshwater goldfish bowl.

Hell, I remember when I was little and I never asked my mom to buy me fish from the salt water isle cuz I had enough sense to know they needed salt water and that was long before nemo and I was like 6.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, is surprises me. And this one day i got the 2 weirdest questions one being do you guys have cold water fish and i was like no we dont have the room for cold water fish, and he was like well a lot of places in michigan sell cold water fish, and i was like ok, no place in michigan have cold water fish that i have seen. Then like a hour later a guy was like do you guys sell plants, and i was like we do for fresh water but not saltwater, the reasons those questions shocked me is they both looked at everything in the saltwater fish room and i have never heard them since i been working there in april (facepalm)

He came I saw the USPS truck do a u turn in front of my house at 1140ish then I recieved a email from USPS that it was delivered, the lady put it in my mail box, I thought you had to sign for express, barely any water in the bag, currently dripping him at a fast pace, he's lime green!

usps is the bad way to ship.... :/ Fedex and UPS are waaaayy better...

But I'm sorry about the delay :/ That really stinks...

But glad you got him! :]

It actually came before schedule but the lady put it in the mailbox and didnt bring it to the door. I wish there was a facepalm icon

It had a fragile handle with care sticker with the this side up arrow, he's doing good, he's cruising around the tank, he's 2", he has cool white dots on him, we'll it might be a girl, didnt look yet

He's having trouble getting a hermit out of its shell right now lol, he tossed it lol he actually like hangs from this one spot in the rock like a bat would, it's pretty funny. Pretty unique creature, very active aswell, I just got to go find some tongs to feed it with. Also what are some frozen foods they will eat, ik mysis, brine, and scallops I believe? But will they eat krill? Or is krill too large for him right now?

Mine currently is just watching the hermit like a hulk, by the way how are your 2 mantises been doing? Haven't seen any updates as of recently

Islandoftiki

You can feed just about any raw shellfish if you cut it up small enough. One or two mysis would be about the right amount to feed that little guy. If you cut up other foods into about 3/16" cube or so, that should be about right. If all of the food isn't being consumed within about 10-15 minutes, cut back the size of the portion. My 5" peacock mantis gets 1/2 of a krill soaked in selcon every day. My G. Ternatensis is about 4" and get 1/2 krill every other day, or 1/4 of a krill every day. Depending on how much interest he's showing in food when I feed the fish, I'll sometimes feed him daily. Most people feed every other day or every three days My peacock would be quite upset if she didn't get fed every day, but it's not necessary.

They are doing great, I was just on a small vacation and got back last night. I plan on getting some updated pics of things I hope this weekend, I got a new lens for my camera but I need to figure out how to use it. Shopping around for an aquaclear for my 5.5g atm.

Islandoftiki

Also, if you're using supermarket bought seafood, rinse it well, they sometimes add a preservative to the ice coating. I've used Costco bought scallops, and shrimp. I currently use krill that I buy from the local fish store. One bag of krill will last for nearly a year.

I'm thinking about doing the Refugium mod with the aquaclear, but I want to find a different light first because the aquaclear would make the 9 watt light it came with not be in the canter and that would bug me and plus some of the light would be just hitting my dresser. And what does selcon do for mantises? I'm guessing shell rot? I wouldn't have to worry about with my wennarae getting shell rot as I'm not mistaken since they're usually found in shallow areas, but I could be wrong.

Is it the San Francisco Bay brand krill? I believe it's see threw with a light green label, not sure, but ik we carry it at my work because I feed it to the puffers and what not.

I wish I could describe all the characteristics of this little guy, he gots some unique colors and patterns, he gots multiple shades of green on him, also gots some purple markings, white dots on his top, and near the end of the tail the green starts fading to a almost orangish color, his legs are yellowish green, and so much other things, ill try to get some good shots

Islandoftiki

And what does selcon do for mantises? I'm guessing shell rot? I wouldn't have to worry about with my wennarae getting shell rot as I'm not mistaken since they're usually found in shallow areas, but I could be wrong.

It's a like a vitamin supplement. Their diet in our tanks isn't quite as varied as it would be in the wild, so it helps for overall health. I've noticed a marked improvement in coloration in both my G. Ternatensis and my O. Scyllarus since I started soaking their food in Selcon.

Archived