ReefCleaners.org

3 gallon mantis tank

Based

So i have been putting this off for a while.. Tank has been up for 2-3 weeks, i have changed so much on it, so bare with me!

Tank: JBJ 3 gallon Picotope

Lighting: Stock 9 watt light

Filter: Stock filter (Upgrading to the Tetra PF10 in near future.)

Heater: Tetra HT10

Substrate: Caribsea Instant Aquarium Tahitian Moon Sand mixed with some white live sand from my 28 gallon reef

Rock: 5 pounds of dry coral reef rock (Broke four good sized pieces with a hammer then glued a scape together.)

Stocking Plans: N. Wennarae (The Incredible Hulk) :D
Zoanthids
Palythoas
Shrooms/Ricordea
Maybe a Hammer or Frogspawn

post-78934-0-59026000-1373519083_thumb.jpgpost-78934-0-38479800-1373519100_thumb.jpgpost-78934-0-76867800-1373519113_thumb.jpgpost-78934-0-62952500-1373519127_thumb.jpg

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're fun little critters. I have one in a Fluval Edge and it's very interesting to watch. He LOVES mysis and also eats sinking pellets. We feed him both, as well as the snails I add as CUC from time to time. They get some work done before he does his work, so they're worth the occasional buy IMO.

You may want to go with less rock. If you give him too many places to hide, you may never see him. It'll also make cleaning more difficult.

Lovely little tank. Is N. Wennerae a smaller type of mantis shrimp?
Yes they're, they usually stay in the 2" mark from what I hear

They're fun little critters. I have one in a Fluval Edge and it's very interesting to watch. He LOVES mysis and also eats sinking pellets. We feed him both, as well as the snails I add as CUC from time to time. They get some work done before he does his work, so they're worth the occasional buy IMO. You may want to go with less rock. If you give him too many places to hide, you may never see him. It'll also make cleaning more difficult.
I glued the rocks :(

I decided to order from sealifeinc!

everytime i top off this tank it seems like the salinity drops, i top off at the same mark everyday to, started out at 1.025, and now its at 1.022. Also do N. Wenneraes prefer any specific salinity?

Are you having salt creep anywhere? That would lower your salinity. I know the lid on my 5 gallon quarantine tank is always covered in salt.

Nope no salt creep, isn't salt creep left over calcium? Always thought that salt stayed in the tank, also the tank it topless and my friend has the same tank and his salinity stays the same

Hmm. The only other thing I can think of is a slow leak somewhere. That would definitely lower your salinity since you'd be replacing the missing saltwater with ro. Check around the motor on the hob. I've had two leak on me, both generic petco ones though.

I haven't noticed any leaks, it's been up for 3 or so weeks and its sitting this like idek what it's called but I would be able to tell if it was leaking, ill double check though

Well duh, I forgot that I left my bigger hob filter on the tank for a few days and it had more space in the chamber for water so I topped off with more water, just noticed that this pico was poorly put together, I'm going to email jbj in the morning since 2 of my Moon lights are really dim on my 28 and the pico isn't sitting on the glass slab on the back left side

Well cat hair keeps getting into my tank, i think im going to make a custom lid, kinda like the nuvos! unless there is a lid for the jbj picotope that i just dont know about.

All the levels are perfect! Going to buy 7 snails and 7 hermits as a housewarming gift for the hulk tomorrow. Hopefully they get him in this week! :D

Haha I have seven cats a bird and a dog.... There's always something in my pico... And I have a sit on lid... I guess it goes in the drill holes :s

Haha I have seven cats a bird and a dog.... There's always something in my pico... And I have a sit on lid... I guess it goes in the drill holes :s

my family has 2 cats, a ragdoll and what was supposed to be a ragamuffin but it looks like we got scammed unless he doesnt got the long hair, but who cares hes awesome, both of them are! Except when i find their hair in my tanks :(

HOLY COW! 7 cats?! are some of them barn cats? I can't imagine the litterboxes if they lived inside.

Noooo I live in Youngstown....big city...smooshed cats. They are all indoors and rescues. My baby doll Sam has a neurological disease called cerebellar hypoplasia. Basically she can't find her balance...can't judge distances... Runs into crap....jumps over the couch instead of onto it....lol comical. It's ok she gets to suffocate me at night by sleeping in my head. Lol

The only cat I have whose anything nameable is my Russian blue... Eye rest are tabby shorthairs or calicoes or tortis...nothing special.

post-77492-0-07903100-1373762110_thumb.jpg

i named both of are cats, one i name casper because he was all white with blue eyes, and i was like 7 and casper the friendly ghost was on, and then my other cat is shadow, greyish/bluish cat.

Ahh they sound cute :) and also like fluffy heaters lol

And I meant nameable like species wise. All my cats have names of course..., Sam... Pig....Gatto....gretel....Merlin...autumn and tugboat. Lol we name some weird names...

We found him after we took a tugboat ride on the Ohio river.... He's got a lame leg, so my mom said he tugged at her heart to take him home lol

Ahh they sound cute :) and also like fluffy heaters lol And I meant nameable like species wise. All my cats have names of course..., Sam... Pig....Gatto....gretel....Merlin...autumn and tugboat. Lol we name some weird names...

Tugboat is an awesome name! A stray kitten followed my husband home, hissed at our dog and marched right into our apt. He had a really loud purr so I named him Motorboat. :)

Archived