Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3 gallon mantis tank

Based

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used petco store brand, the dry kind. It looked the same as carib sea when I used it. Was only about $7 I think.

Should i go bare bottom, and their sand was like for freshwater

if i do should i put a pvc pipe in the tank?

Should i go bare bottom, and their sand was like for freshwater

if i do should i put a pvc pipe in the tank?

Oh freshwater.. yah don't use that.

I don't know, is she any better? Does it look like she doesn't like the sand? How long until the sand you ordered arrives?

I would stick a PVC in there either way just to give her a place to escape for now since she is stressed, you can always take it out later when she's better.

Oh freshwater.. yah don't use that.

I don't know, is she any better? Does it look like she doesn't like the sand? How long until the sand you ordered arrives?

I would stick a PVC in there either way just to give her a place to escape for now since she is stressed, you can always take it out later when she's better.

It says 3 days, but i always get packages earlier than what it says, Shes been real nasty today, she just hit a rock 4-5 times, she showed off her smashers to me a couple of times, but ive noticed when she walks the always keeps one side of her walking legs on the glass or rocks. Also when she sits up like on her back shes real sturdy like she puts her legs on the rocks and just chills. I'm starting to think it is the substrate and also that she needs to molt but doesnt want to on the substrate. I was also doing research on the substrate and i found that it killed someones lizard so i put my hands in the tank and touched it and its pretty sharp.

Islandoftiki

Make her a PCV burrow that's kind of U shaped and about 2 to 3 times her body length if you can. Dr. Caldwell is a big proponent for PVC burrows. You can also drill out a piece of live rock like I did for my G. Ternatensis, but you need a pretty large chunk of live rock to do that.

I wouldn't use anything that's ever been exposed to copper medication.

thats my thought, dont know how to operate my dads saw, going to have to call him dont know if i have room for a u shape burrow, i will try to construct one when i get my new sand

I have used QT stuff in tanks with inverts all the time without problems. I know silicone soaking copper up is a myth but not sure about PVC.

Considering how cheap PVC is, I would just get a new one.

thats my thought, dont know how to operate my dads saw, going to have to call him dont know if i have room for a u shape burrow, i will try to construct one when i get my new sand

Just use a hand saw :P

Islandoftiki

A normal hacksaw will work just fine. The nice thing about a U shape burrow is you can have both openings facing forward to the viewing area. If you have one opening in the front, and one in the back, guess which one will become the favorite? Not the one in the front.

Islandoftiki

shes been doing a lot of rock work, 1st time ive seen this with her, shes also been interested in the rubble

Sounds like she's doing a bit of civil engineering. I would think that's a good behavior to see. She's probably starting to set up a home.

Sounds like she's doing a bit of civil engineering. I would think that's a good behavior to see. She's probably starting to set up a home.

Yeah she made a home in the rocks. post-78934-0-93863300-1376680824_thumb.jpg if she molts before I add the sand how long should I wait to add it? Because ik if she molts she going to be more sensitive to level changes until her new exoskeleton fully hardens

What make you think she's going to molt?

She will close off her cave and prob stop eating when she gets ready to in which case just wait till she's done and re-opens her cave and is back out being normal.

What make you think she's going to molt?

She will close off her cave and prob stop eating when she gets ready to in which case just wait till she's done and re-opens her cave and is back out being normal.

because she's been interested in the rubble and she actually made a burrow and she's been real nasty lately

Cant someone get me pics of a male mantis, im still not 100% sure if i have a male of female, ive seen the black and white photos, but still not sure.

Cant someone get me pics of a male mantis, im still not 100% sure if i have a male of female, ive seen the black and white photos, but still not sure.

l_lisa3.jpg

D80F1E97-orig.jpg

So thinking this might be a part of a molt, thinking it it was maybe one of her legs or something. post-78934-0-96331500-1376757617_thumb.jpg it's kinda translucent greenish/yellowish, I found a couple of other parts like that over the last week but they looked different and I didn't think anything about it.

Curse you insomnia I've been up for 30 plus hours and start college in two days . From what I read mantises for some reason molt during full moons, and the next full moon is in a couple of days, I heard her just clicking a couple minutes ago, she's been trying to break a piece of rock I believe

Thinking about upgrading the filter, also really wished I would of painted the back of the tank black, hope my mantis fully molts, still don't know

What what thing I found in the tank was

Archived