Pod Your Reef

3 gallon mantis tank

Based

If the water didn't show ammonia/nitrite then it should be fine. The rock is already cycled and dry sand won't cause a cycle. It just needed to process whatever you kicked up in the old sand.

I move around a lot and use all new sand and cycled rock and it's never a problem.

its not dry it's live
  • Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

You think i should be safe with putting my zoas, palys, and mantis in on friday? Havent seen any cycle yet, but i have no experience with removing sand and adding new sands with cycled rocks. The hermits and snails seem fine.

Changing out the sand bed shouldn't cause a cycle unless you have your rocks out of the water for hours. The majority of the nitrifying bacteria live on the rocks. Some bacteria is in the sand, but most of it is in the rocks. If you keep the rocks in a bucket with a heater and a powerhead, you shouldn't see a cycle with the new sand. I wouldn't expect to see any sort of cycle.

If i can get the shrimp at my work for $12 ill try to set up a tank for it, i just need to find somewhere to put it, i was thinking about upgrading to one of those pico s shallows around christmas time. So it might have to stay back there for a little bit. Its either a wennerae or oerstedii. Ive never seen its meral spots.

Mystique seems a lot better, I think she's sensitive to light, she only lays on her back when the lights are on, but is walking fine with the lights off

Hulk seems to. Be enjoying his spot in the fuge he's been digging a lot, going to have to set up a tank soon for him

Yay more mantis tanks! Glad Mysti is feeling better.

Yay more mantis tanks! Glad Mysti is feeling better.

she has a pretty nice burrow going on. I only have room for a tall tank, know any brands?

she has a pretty nice burrow going on. I only have room for a tall tank, know any brands?

Not sure.. just search around for a column or hex tank. A standard is cheaper though :> What about getting a stand that fits two tanks? Shelf below the other or whatever.

Not sure.. just search around for a column or hex tank. A standard is cheaper though :> What about getting a stand that fits two tanks? Shelf below the other or whatever.

there honestly no room in my room due to my window, I got my bed, a night stand, a desk, my nano cube, a dresser, my window and closet screw me over. I was thinking about drilling the top drawer on my desk and putting my Xbox and AT&T box in there and putting a dymax iq3 where they're at

Put it on the dresser?

model cars and littl collectible things I put on top of their, and it would look really awkward because the dressar is really long

model cars and littl collectible things I put on top of their, and it would look really awkward because the dressar is really long

Put them both up there. One on each end with models in the middle :P

Put them both up there. One on each end with models in the middle :P

once I get my hours back at work, as girl put in her 2 week notice today so yippee! I will deffinetley be getting a pico for the hulk, I floated them both in the pico to see what would happen and the hulk was really interested in mystique while mystique was trying to figure out what this plastic contraption she was in lol. But the hulks tank is going to be all macros, something different for me I guess

image_zps48c3f644.jpg

Actually I got room for another picotope

Wooo! So what kind of mantis is the dark one?

I think macro tank is a great idea. My blue guy Bane LOVES his macro. He crawls in it and climbs it a lot and uses it as cover to sneak up on hermits and snails.... like they had any chance of getting away lol

Wooo! So what kind of mantis is the dark one?

I think macro tank is a great idea. My blue guy Bane LOVES his macro. He crawls in it and climbs it a lot and uses it as cover to sneak up on hermits and snails.... like they had any chance of getting away lol

I'm pretty sure he's a wennerae, he's small, dark green, and has white merals. What kind of macros do you like?

Red titan, blue ochtodes and caulerpa prolfica are my three fav's.

They grow the fastest out of my macros and none of them rip or fall apart easy once they get established.

My other ones look nice but since they are fragile, it's annoying to find pieces floating around the tank after mantis playtime.

Well I'm getting the tank early in September.

For my next corals for mystique will be Sticky Punch Zoas, Hawaiian Punch Zoas, Armor of God Palys, Chuckies Bride Zoas, Cotton Candy Zoas, and Feelin Peachy Zoas

where you gettting all your zoas/pallys from?

reefchicks.com

pretty sure shes about to molt, she hasnt accepted food in two days

What was that one stuff called that i should dip their food in? Im ordering from marinedepot and drs foster right now for the new tank

No, I don't have an exact ID. I have a rough guess: http://crustaceamayotte.free.fr/illustration.php?n=11&sp=314

He got moved to the 2 gallon pest tank a while ago. He lives in the old mantis cave now. I think he molted again the other day. His entire cave entrance was completely blocked off for a couple days.

this stuff? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5009

Archived