SaltCritters.com

3 gallon mantis tank

Based

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly Idk what's wrong with her, she's acting really strange and I feel the worst it about to come, here's a video on youtube of her. Just watch her odd behavior. Stick in there little buddy.

Sadly Idk what's wrong with her, she's acting really strange and I feel the worst it about to come, here's a video on youtube of her. Just watch her odd behavior. Stick in there little buddy.

Really odd... how sharp is the substrate? Is it smooth or rough? Reading around tahitian moon sand, ect looks to have sharp edges and not smooth rounded one like most argonite.

"Many stomatopods live on dark substrates, so this should not be a problem for them in terms of "stress". What is a concern, however, is the type of black sand. Some that I've seen has very sharp edges. This could abrade the cuticle and delicate gill filaments.

This is why stomatopods should not be kept on silica sand."

ROy

edit: uh oh looking around I think black sand is made of silica I think which is a no-no. Just an idea, maybe it is irritating/injuring her. Apparently it is similar to glass.

Really odd... how sharp is the substrate? Is it smooth or rough? Reading around tahitian moon sand, ect looks to have sharp edges and not smooth rounded one like most argonite.

"Many stomatopods live on dark substrates, so this should not be a problem for them in terms of "stress". What is a concern, however, is the type of black sand. Some that I've seen has very sharp edges. This could abrade the cuticle and delicate gill filaments.

This is why stomatopods should not be kept on silica sand."

ROy

edit: uh oh looking around I think black sand is made of silica I think which is a no-no. Just an idea, maybe it is irritating/injuring her. Apparently it is similar to glass.

Umm, what do i do? Would using white sand from my display be ok? Thinking it will cause a cycle

Umm, what do i do? Would using white sand from my display be ok? Thinking it will cause a cycle

Hm, I suppose it is impossible to get some dry sand this late at night.

Yesterday I redid my fuge.. removed all my sand and washed it half a cup at a time then replaced some of it. Maybe you could switch the sand just don't add a full deep sand bed right away. Like wash it in salt water well and add a small layer of sand for now. It would need a large waterchange too in case the sand is dirty.

Otherwise maybe bare bottom just for the night?

It is a tough situation. Replacing the sand is going to be a chore and and stressful to the mantis to remove her. At the same time, if Roy says silica sand can injure stomatopods I am inclined to believe him.

Hm, I suppose it is impossible to get some dry sand this late at night.

Yesterday I redid my fuge.. removed all my sand and washed it half a cup at a time then replaced some of it. Maybe you could switch the sand just don't add a full deep sand bed right away. Like wash it in salt water well and add a small layer of sand for now. It would need a large waterchange too in case the sand is dirty.

Otherwise maybe bare bottom just for the night?

It is a tough situation. Replacing the sand is going to be a chore and and stressful to the mantis to remove her. At the same time, if Roy says silica sand can injure stomatopods I am inclined to believe him.

I got a few extra inchs of sand in the back of my nano cube i was gonna make it into a fuge but i never got to it, i can capture the mantis and i always have about 3 gallons of saltwater mixing just incase, should i do it now? i dont want rock resting on the glass of the tank, i dont have the best knowledge of cycles but i have done 2 tank swaps within my reefing career all in a day without cycling, so im guessing she will be ok but heavily stresses, i knew i should of gotten the Hawaiian black sand, but i just dont want to put my mantis life in danger.

When I set up my 5.5g I did it in a day and everything worked okay. Clean sand won't cause a cycle, just stirring up dirty sand but a water change and prime should help that. Keep the rock wet and it won't have any die off.

When I set up my 5.5g I did it in a day and everything worked okay. Clean sand won't cause a cycle, just stirring up dirty sand but a water change and prime should help that. Keep the rock wet and it won't have any die off.

I JUST USED ALL MY PRIME NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Should i rinse the sand out? Really dont want algae problems as i got some algae im fighting in my display from when i used tap water because i was too lazy to drive to get water

I would rinse the new sand with salt water, either old or new. Algae is annoying but it cleans your water ;)

If your mantis pulls through, you should really consider some display macro's to keep the algae at bay. The ones in my 5.5g have grown a lot.

TOO many bristles worms, theyre the one thing i want to stay out of this tank because i will have nightmares of them getting out of the tank, will have to go to my work rise and shine tomorrow and buy some sand, this is going to cause a cycle im betting.

I would rinse the new sand with salt water, either old or new. Algae is annoying but it cleans your water ;)

If your mantis pulls through, you should really consider some display macro's to keep the algae at bay. The ones in my 5.5g have grown a lot.

Do you know if CaribSea® Aragonite Hawaiian Black Sand has selica in it?

Do you know if CaribSea® Aragonite Hawaiian Black Sand has selica in it?

I would not use any black sand. There is no such thing as black aragonite I don't think. They just mix it with some aragonite so they can market it. I would assume it is "lava rock", iron in it and such.

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but that is how my Peacock was acting before it died. Specifically the turning over on the back. I hope you have better results than I though. To be honest, for me, it happened within about 24 hours.

Islandoftiki

Well, if you think the substrate is the problem, what I would do would be to move the rock, water and mantis to a bucket with a heater and powerhead, then swap out the substrate, (I'd use ready-to-go bagged live sand) then put everything back in. You might also want to consider providing a PVC burrow (even if you don't like the look).

I would not use any black sand. There is no such thing as black aragonite I don't think. They just mix it with some aragonite so they can market it. I would assume it is "lava rock", iron in it and such.

What should I get I'm about to go

I would just get some normal medium grain argonite (the white stuff). I use carib sea.

I would just get some normal medium grain argonite (the white stuff). I use carib sea.

should I get stability or prime or something?

Can't hurt to have prime on handy in case you see a small cycle.

all my work has is caribsea oceans direct in the .25mm-1mm live sand some guy purchased a 2000 and bought all the aragonite this morning

Archived