Cultivated Reef

3 gallon mantis tank

Based

That looks like old superglue from your rocks.
yep, just forgot about that lol

Could that be releasing chemicals in the water? Because 2 disintegrated when i picked them up when I started noticing strange behaivor

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, just forgot about that lol

Could that be releasing chemicals in the water? Because 2 disintegrated when i picked them up when I started noticing strange behaivor

Nah.. once superglue cures it's harmless. Maybe when it was curing it could put something in the water assuming you used a lot? Superglue just degrades in saltwater and that's why it shouldn't be used to secure rocks. It just won't work long term. One of the methods recommended online for getting superglue off your hands is to rub your hands in salt then wash it off.

It works for frags okay since there's no friction and the frags are light and eventually attach on their own.

I don't even care if I get superglue on my fingers anymore because it comes off my hands so easy once I expose it to my salt water.

Nah.. once superglue cures it's harmless. Maybe when it was curing it could put something in the water assuming you used a lot? Superglue just degrades in saltwater and that's why it shouldn't be used to secure rocks. It just won't work long term. One of the methods recommended online for getting superglue off your hands is to rub your hands in salt then wash it off.

It works for frags okay since there's no friction and the frags are light and eventually attach on their own.

I don't even care if I get superglue on my fingers anymore because it comes off my hands so easy once I expose it to my salt water.

yeah I didn't overload in superglue, but I used superglue because that what people on here told me to. When they're about to molt do they look a little different? Like their shell, I swear her smashers are getting lighter

Not sure but I believe they stop using their smashers when they get close to molting and just do a lot of threat posturing instead of actual smashing.

She's been doing a lot of threat posturing today and yesterday also she's moved a couple pieces of rubble to all 3 entrances to her burrow, so I hope she molts and stops acting weird even know she's been getting better

Sand should be here tomorrow, and i just placed my order with reefchicks.com for Hawaiian Sherberts, Bam Bams, and Blow Pop zoas, also 3 hermits and 3 snails for my mantis to munch on.

Water smells so bad, well not really, the rocks are what smell, idk why but they did, the water kinda smells bad but it's whatever, I tried my best to not make it cloudy but it still got cloudy. Corals arrive Wednesday

Ammonia test the water just in case a bunch of crap got in it.

Also did you see what I said in your algae thread? is it bryopsis? It will have hairs coming out of it. Hard to tell in your pic.

30didqp.jpg

What do you think the problem is?
Idk, but I feel like there's something wrong with her legs, dr Roy said that some lose their sense of coordination, so that's probably what it is, but my test kit just expired like 2 weeks ago so she was probably telling me what theirs something wrong

Couple Updates:

FTS:

image_zps6405777c.jpg

Corals:

image_zpse1155394.jpg

Mantis: (How she greets me)

image_zpsa7c5256a.jpg

The Blow pops havent fully opened yet, 2 of the polyps are starting to come around, everything else is looking great

Also since shes a female, and the Hulk really doesnt suit her gender, I decided to name her Mystique because shes mysterious.

Buying a 2nd mantis on friday, just need to tell my boss that wenneraes arent worth $25, this shrimp will live where mystique currently is. Just feel bad for the little guy because hes been there for months now, i believe since march, and he comes up to me all the time. The only problem is he doesnt eat live food.

You're going to have a mantis live in your back chambers? @.o isn't that mean? I figured being intelligent they like enrichment.

You're going to have a mantis live in your back chambers? @.o isn't that mean? I figured being intelligent they like enrichment.

It gots sand, rubble, 2 fine sized rocks, and good space for him/her to thrive. The only reason i am buying it is because im worried about mystique and if she passes which i hope not and someone ends up buying the guy at my work i dont want to spend another $50 on one

Idk.. mine both really love interaction. Watching people... watching cats.. stalking fish..

You should get a 2nd tank! Seems a waste to hide such a pretty critter back there.

Idk.. mine both really love interaction. Watching people... watching cats.. stalking fish..

You should get a 2nd tank! Seems a waste to hide such a pretty critter back there.

Oh it will get a tons of interaction, the back of the tank is glass so you can see from back there, and idk about pretty, this one is pretty dark green, which is another reason i didnt buy it, but i never noticed how small it is, so maybe thats why it didnt eat live, and theirs always the chance of her changing color during molts. I just wish mine would molt already for she could walk again and stop laying on her back which ive noticed that she did that a lot at night when i 1st got her, dun nah nah nah bat-hulk lol. So i think she finds it comfortable but she could walk a lot better

You think i should be safe with putting my zoas, palys, and mantis in on friday? Havent seen any cycle yet, but i have no experience with removing sand and adding new sands with cycled rocks. The hermits and snails seem fine.

If the water didn't show ammonia/nitrite then it should be fine. The rock is already cycled and dry sand won't cause a cycle. It just needed to process whatever you kicked up in the old sand.

I move around a lot and use all new sand and cycled rock and it's never a problem.

Archived