Top Shelf Aquatics

Nepenthe's Nouveau NUVO16

Nepenthe

I have heard of other people having trouble with that skimmer and they contacted IM and they were able to help them out. I like my Hydor though.

Just when I think I have it tuned in and working great for a couple days, it starts to overflow. I should have gone for the AquaMaxx HOB that I was planning to get all along. You're right though, I'll give them a call just to give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe I'm doing something screwy with it and I just don't know.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...what an update!!!! omgomgomg Love it all...reef, cacti, and pups :wub:

I didn't realize you had the Razor. Looks great on your tank!!!! Now I'm even more anxious to get mine LOL.

Wow...what an update!!!! omgomgomg Love it all...reef, cacti, and pups :wub:

I didn't realize you had the Razor. Looks great on your tank!!!! Now I'm even more anxious to get mine LOL.

Gena, thank you so much! Yeah, lots of life over in at my place.

I got my mom a mixed pot of succulents for mothers day. It's sitting on a porch, I don't think she remembers it exists.

Hey did you already get rid of the IM skimmer if not pm me and I can send you pics of what I did with mine toget it to stop overflowing. Mine works great now.

I got my mom a mixed pot of succulents for mothers day. It's sitting on a porch, I don't think she remembers it exists.

That's the best part about them (not your gestures of kindness the succulents).

Hey did you already get rid of the IM skimmer if not pm me and I can send you pics of what I did with mine toget it to stop overflowing. Mine works great now.

Please do! Any help would be much appreciated. I'm about ready to find other creative uses for it.

Well the first thing I did was contact IM and let them know what the issue I was having was and they didn't even hesitate to send me out a couple new parts. After playing with it and trying a few things I finally realized that the air intake valve was sucking in a good amount of what looked like salt creep and clogging the airline in turn making the skimmer run totally wet. I took a piece of airline tubing I ha laying around and connected it to the air intake and ran it back behind the tank so it is only suckin in fresh air and not air/water from the rear chamber of the tank. Since I did this the only time I have had an over flow is when I forgot to empty the collection cup. I'd recommend taking the skimmer apart, pump and everything and give it a good cleaning and then try it with the airline running from the air intake.

Here's the best I could do with my 10 month old climbing my legs lol. Let me know if you have any other questions.

null_zps6dd7664f.jpg

Well the first thing I did was contact IM and let them know what the issue I was having was and they didn't even hesitate to send me out a couple new parts. After playing with it and trying a few things I finally realized that the air intake valve was sucking in a good amount of what looked like salt creep and clogging the airline in turn making the skimmer run totally wet. I took a piece of airline tubing I ha laying around and connected it to the air intake and ran it back behind the tank so it is only suckin in fresh air and not air/water from the rear chamber of the tank. Since I did this the only time I have had an over flow is when I forgot to empty the collection cup. I'd recommend taking the skimmer apart, pump and everything and give it a good cleaning and then try it with the airline running from the air intake. Here's the best I could do with my 10 month old climbing my legs lol. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks man! I'll try that ASAP. I've fiddled with the darn thing a lot when I first got it. Guess it's time to give it another go. Your solution does make sense though.

Thanks man! I'll try that ASAP. I've fiddled with the darn thing a lot when I first got it. Guess it's time to give it another go. Your solution does make sense though.

It's worked perfectly for me. Give it a try and let me know.

Did you fiddle with your skimmer at all? I'm interested to know whether or not it worked for you.

I haven't had a chance yet. I'm going to do all my tank stuff this Sunday. I'll keep you in the loop!

joel sandoman

I see your current lighting schedule, but what did you start at and how often did you bump it up? Thanks. (just got my razor nano)

• 2 weeks later...

I see your current lighting schedule, but what did you start at and how often did you bump it up? Thanks. (just got my razor nano)

Sorry for the belated response. I didn't bump it up. I was running a Kessil and the stock lights on the last tank so I just threw everything that survived in. My last tank I think was actually a bit brighter because it was getting sunlight also. I can't wait to see how the Razor nano works out for you, it looks great.

Here's a current FTS.

9075531161_618713fbea_z.jpg

Its looking really great! And love the puppy and big dog pic. :)

Thanks, it's getting there little by little. In other non-related tank news I visited the Channel Islands last weekend and the visibility in the kelp forests was insanely good. We saw all kinds of great stuff: garibaldi, California sheephead, tons of urchins, crabs, GIANT sea cucumber.... I really need to invest in an underwater camera. We also saw not one, but two blue whales. I am SO upset that I didn't get a photo.

The ferry over:

9077801102_2a8e42dfac_z.jpg

To give you an idea of the clarity:

9075573019_cf99561e13_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

Don't you just LOVE the Razor????? I'm noticing a substantial amount of growth already and I'm only running at 50%!!!! Your tank looks great!!!! I love the colors!!!!

Don't you just LOVE the Razor????? I'm noticing a substantial amount of growth already and I'm only running at 50%!!!! Your tank looks great!!!! I love the colors!!!!

I do, I love this light so much! Worth every penny!

Thanks, it's getting there little by little. In other non-related tank news I visited the Channel Islands last weekend and the visibility in the kelp forests was insanely good. We saw all kinds of great stuff: garibaldi, California sheephead, tons of urchins, crabs, GIANT sea cucumber.... I really need to invest in an underwater camera. We also saw not one, but two blue whales. I am SO upset that I didn't get a photo.

The ferry over:

To give you an idea of the clarity:

9075573019_cf99561e13_z.jpg

Is that sargassum?

Is that sargassum?

It's Egregia menziesii. I've never seen Sargassum muticum, but my diver buddies say that it's showing up more and more in our waters.

Your tank looks great. I absolutely love how everything looks. Your last fts makes me want a maxi mini and a rock flower nem.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived