Innovative Marine Aquariums

Justin's Mixed 9G

Justind823

Looking good Justin

Thanks Kat. I haven't seen my tank in two weeks...but I hear all is well. I'll see it this coming Thursday night, do a water change then it's off to NYC for a week! I need to get a doser hooked up before this tank takes a turn for the worse

• 4 weeks later...

Cool, what kind of doser pumps are those?

BRS doser?

Yes they are BRS dosers. Bigger than I thought they would be but oh well. I've been trying to catch a deal with them for a while now and saw someone had them for sale in the hardware classifieds NIB so I grabbed them. I'm pretty excited to hook them up! The user reviews on them are excellent.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This an amazing nano tank. Very pleasing aquascape that makes great use of the limited space.

It's incredible how long it's lasted for such a "simple" set-up. I see no reactor, skimmer or any other fancy filtration system in your sump (which appears to function mostly as a refugium). Do you use any kind of media like carbon or GFO?

I'm hoping to get back into the hobby again after a five-year hiatus and your tank is an inspiration.

This an amazing nano tank. Very pleasing aquascape that makes great use of the limited space.

It's incredible how long it's lasted for such a "simple" set-up. I see no reactor, skimmer or any other fancy filtration system in your sump (which appears to function mostly as a refugium). Do you use any kind of media like carbon or GFO?

I'm hoping to get back into the hobby again after a five-year hiatus and your tank is an inspiration.

Thanks!

This has been the easiest setup I've had to date. Sure it's had its ups and downs for sure but overall pretty stable. You're correct, the sump is dedicated to only growing cheato but I do occasionally put a bag of chemi-pure in although it's been awhile since I've resupplied.

I remember your tanks from awhile back and I'm hoping you jump back in sooner than later!

Not much as far as a tank update other thank it's trucking along. We just got back from a vacation in beautiful St. Maarten so I'll be posting some photos from a couple of our dives and snorkel adventures. There was a lot of life under there that I'm sure you guys would appreciate photos of.

• Like 2

Dive pics! We went on two separate boat dives that day. The reef itself was pretty shallow - maximum depth was probably only 35'. Overall a pretty stunning reef. Lots of movement in the surge with all the gorgonians, sea fans and fish. The dive group was my dad (who's last dive was 15 years ago) my brother-in-law, and my girlfriend.

Here are some pictures in no particular order. These were shot on my dads Olympus TG-4 with a fish eye lens he bought for the trip.

25958802973_4967411650_c.jpgP4110175 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

26495654701_c2757e960d_c.jpgP4110181 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

26561739845_2dc5149409_c.jpgP4110145 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

26469398402_d4bb3446ff_c.jpgP4110119 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

26469393152_b3bbe7d547_c.jpgP4110202 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

TURTLE!

26561734505_b3a3f982b0_c.jpgP4110218 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

Watching the turtle

26561733465_5817e8374e_c.jpgP4110225 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

Check out that nem shrimp!

25958797803_da5211b7f1_c.jpgP4110243 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

26535724116_d103bd3ce2_c.jpgP4110155 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

Yeah yeah underwater selfie or whatever

26535726836_bd69730505_c.jpgP4110104 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

• Like 8

Almost time to start dosing! Everything is all rigged up, just need to calibrate the dosers and start testing. I made a little box to hide all the ugliness out of some scrap wood. Sorry for the crappy photos!

26309004100_f6e3ee0038.jpg

26516384171_5f066bb941_m.jpg 26516383781_f2339c3186_m.jpg

• Like 9

Amazing pictures of your dive.

Thanks Ninja! I was pretty impressed with the camera my dad brought. Glad I didn't bother bringing the GoPro

• Like 1

Thanks Ninja! I was pretty impressed with the camera my dad brought. Glad I didn't bother bringing the GoPro

I used underwater before but could never get pics as sharp and bright as yours. I may have to look into that Olympus.

jedimasterben

I need a little plant or something for the top of that box I just made. Thoughts?

I like gerbera daisies, they're pretty and relatively undemanding :)
  • Like 1

I used underwater before but could never get pics as sharp and bright as yours. I may have to look into that Olympus.

Believe it or not that was a scattered clouds kind of day. Also, it shoots in RAW but he only sent me the jpegs and all I did was one click auto edit on them. So yeah I'd check it out and I'd recommend the fish eye. It gets some distortion on landscapes but underwater it levels out nicely.

Nice pictures ...!!

Thanks!

I like gerbera daisies, they're pretty and relatively undemanding :)

Undemanding is key, I'll look into those. Thanks

• Like 1

Just did a water change...things are getting a little cramped in the stand! These dosers are huge.

26579148506_270a22bfa9_c.jpg

Also, got some bearings in the mail today to do a rebuild on the MP10. I was hoping the QD upgrade would solve the noise issues I've had for awhile but it only helped a little. Looks like a pretty simple task to throw in new bearings so I'll be getting around to that soon.

• Like 3

I need a little plant or something for the top of that box I just made. Thoughts?

I would do something like this. Very undemanding, perfect lighting in your location, and no dirt for your cat to get into :lol:.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-24%20at%2011.10.

• Like 4

i love the stand for your tank and little box you made.

throw a succulent on top of the box as suggested! down here in Southern California, we don't even have to water them, extremely low maintenence plant.

• Like 1

i love the stand for your tank and little box you made.

throw a succulent on top of the box as suggested! down here in Southern California, we don't even have to water them, extremely low maintenence plant.

Thanks!

I'm down in LA right now for work actually. I'll probably pick something up in my travels this week when I'm shopping around for the job

• Like 1