Cultivated Reef

Justin's Mixed 9G

Justind823

Very nice! Has kind of a mysterious look. Could imagine a small moray peeking out of the dark lower right area ;)

That is awesome! You are so handy :).

Nice job on the top! I'll have to remember this next time I need a new one.

Thanks all! I haven't seen my tank in two weeks!!! I hope everything is okay... fingerscrossed:scarry:

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Small update!

I've been away from my tank for 10 days now. I do this so much it really doesn't bother me anymore which probably sounds crazy to most of you :lol:

Last weekend we took our friends backpacking in the Sierras. We only went for 4 days since it was their first time but I think they are hooked. I've been down in LA all this past week for work and I'll be headed home on Tuesday.

I forgot to bring the DSLR but my phone took some decent shots

30196788205_46e8bf4971_c.jpg

30196788535_53b31fa113_c.jpg

29567705564_fb29322d23_c.jpg

In tank news...

Before I left I rescaped a bit. I moved the ducan colony from the top right to the bottom left. The day after I moved it I saw how much happier it was, literally twice as big as usual. It was just getting too much direct flow up there. I shifted a few other things around too but that was the most notable. I also added a Marinepure ceramic biomedia plate to the sump! Once I get home I'll be sure to get some pictures up!

• Like 9
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys! The tank is alive and doing okay...

I've been away from it so much lately that the livestock has been suffering. The tank seems stalled as far as coral growth which I'm sure is do to lack of regular maintenance. Also, my pistol shrimp is MIA, assumed KIA since it's been awhile since I've heard a click ?

I have increased nuisance algae and yet little to no growth from my macro. In fact my cheato is growing more hair algae on itself than actual cheato. Most likely my levels are off and not stable but I haven't had time to test. I feel that once I get the dosers properly dialed back in things will start to look up.

Since I'm not able to do a water change as often as if like I'm debating on adding an air stone driven skimmer to the setup. I'd rather not since I like my KISS system, thoughts?

I was able to perform a big water change and do some hair algae scrubbing this morning before headed back down to LA.

Anyway, hopefully I can get this tank back on track during the holidays when I'm around it alittle more.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So turns out my alk doser has been dosing more that it should since I last calibrated it. 1.7 instead of 1.1 per minute. That's what has been off with the tank as of late. Unfortunately my pistol shrimp is confirmed dead probably due to the alk spike. :angry:

These past couple weeks I've been getting the tank back on track with frequent water changes and shortened and dimmed light cycle and now things are looking up!

I'll get some pictures posted soon!

Have a great holiday everyone!

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Long time no post amiright?!

I'm excited to say this tank is looking pretty good again!

I replaced some of my rock which allowed me to rescape a bit and I'm very pleased with the result. It was covered with a dense green carpeting algae of some sort that was engulfing everything in its path. I went a picked up a couple of corals from a local guy the other day and I'm also expecting a package from Liveaquaria on Thursday containing only some choice invertebrates. :happydance:

I know this post is meaningless without pictures but I'll try to get some up on Thursday after I acclimate the new critters :)

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

:welcome:

Couldn't help myself.  

Cant wait to see the new pics. 

Hah! Yea that's right back for more

Did you ever get that UNS tank setup? I did, however it only ever was filled with freshwater and then it quickly turned into a planted tank...

12 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That's great to hear it's doing well again @Justind823, I'm looking forward to seeing the new 'scape!

Yea I just need the dry rock I added to start getting some color -- it's pretty bleach white still. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Justind823 said:

Hah! Yea that's right back for more

Did you ever get that UNS tank setup? I did, however it only ever was filled with freshwater and then it quickly turned into a planted tank...

I did but wasn't happy with the end result so i tore it down with the intent of making it better then life / work got in the way. Things are slowing down a bit now so hopefully i can get back to it. Its too nice of a tank to not have it running. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

I did but wasn't happy with the end result so i tore it down with the intent of making it better then life / work got in the way. Things are slowing down a bit now so hopefully i can get back to it. Its too nice of a tank to not have it running. 

Agreed, I'll need to get some shots of what I have going on in it right now.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Justind823

No reef pics yet but here is a shot of my UNS planted tank. In need of a trim but I like it

33742548144_1241d4654b_z.jpg

After taking this picture I realize I need a better light with a wider spectrum! I'm just using a 3UP WW and that's it!

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Justind823 said:

No reef pics yet but here is a shot of my UNS planted tank. In need of a trim but I like it

33742548144_1241d4654b_z.jpg

After taking this picture I realize I need a better light with a wider spectrum! I'm just using a 3UP WW and that's it!

I love this!!!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Okay a real update with an FTS that I've been promising probably for months now :) 

35088287914_8b5aa8e8c2_b.jpgIMG_9800 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

So obviously the tank has changed a bit. I rescaped and all was going well until... I started using a bad batch of salt. I was using it for about a month and then the tank started crashing. After a water test found I had an alk level of around 5...

I lost a lot of flesh on most of my LPS so corals are still a bit off. I have a branching frogspawn I'm nursing in low light and flow in the sump that lost a bunch of heads but the ones that survived are recovering nicely. The hammer has bounced back and is trying to split it's existing head and also grow a new one so it's very deflated.

Took a few other photos. Not the best macros as it was all handheld but here yah go! 

35119226093_4d21159bac_z.jpgIMG_9804 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

35088515504_22290c3560_z.jpgIMG_9823 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

Goby peekin

35887561586_2f4cd63cc6_z.jpgIMG_9830 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

The freshwater tank has been doing well! submerge the driftwood completely as I had gnats making babies up in there...

I also trimmed up the succulents and some plants and of course added the new light Dave sent me! 

I noticed after I put the camera away that I had some glare on the tank, sorry about that.

35887559156_f9ccab25ec_z.jpgIMG_9836 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
18 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Okay a real update with an FTS that I've been promising probably for months now :) 

35088287914_8b5aa8e8c2_b.jpgIMG_9800 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

So obviously the tank has changed a bit. I rescaped and all was going well until... I started using a bad batch of salt. I was using it for about a month and then the tank started crashing. After a water test found I had an alk level of around 5...

I lost a lot of flesh on most of my LPS so corals are still a bit off. I have a branching frogspawn I'm nursing in low light and flow in the sump that lost a bunch of heads but the ones that survived are recovering nicely. The hammer has bounced back and is trying to split it's existing head and also grow a new one so it's very deflated.

Took a few other photos. Not the best macros as it was all handheld but here yah go! 

35119226093_4d21159bac_z.jpgIMG_9804 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

35088515504_22290c3560_z.jpgIMG_9823 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

Goby peekin

35887561586_2f4cd63cc6_z.jpgIMG_9830 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

The freshwater tank has been doing well! submerge the driftwood completely as I had gnats making babies up in there...

I also trimmed up the succulents and some plants and of course added the new light Dave sent me! 

I noticed after I put the camera away that I had some glare on the tank, sorry about that.

35887559156_f9ccab25ec_z.jpgIMG_9836 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

That goby is hilarious. Looks like he's posing in the FTS. 

4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

That goby is hilarious. Looks like he's posing in the FTS. 

Haha well I tricked him into posing by feeding the tank shortly before taking that shot ;) 

I do love having a YWG. I've had one in pretty much every one of my tanks - great character. He needs another pistol shrimp friend though!

• Like 1
On 7/15/2017 at 4:45 PM, Justind823 said:

35812070401_70f4feb286.jpgVID_20170602_140819147 by Justin Desrosiers, on Flickr

Forgot to mention I also picked up a porcelain crab. Check this out...keep in mind I only bought one! Took me a sec to figure out which was which ;) 

So it molted right away?

Interesting. 

Also, just out of curiosity, what salt were you using?

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2017 at 6:32 PM, gogeta said:

Tank looks really good! That snail looks like he's planning a very slow get away though haha

Thanks!

On 7/17/2017 at 5:56 AM, DaveFason said:

Tanks are looking great. So glad the planted light is working how you want. 

-Dave

Thanks Dave! The light is great - just what I was looking for. 

On 7/17/2017 at 6:14 AM, Weetabix7 said:

So it molted right away?

Interesting. 

Also, just out of curiosity, what salt were you using?

Pretty much! I was using and I'm still using Fritz salt. I called them up and they sent me out a new box which tested on the mark.