SaltCritters.com

The Oasis: ADA BTA Build

kveekx

400th Reply (New Sump Building) Celebration

First things first, gotta cut a mat to go under this nice rimless tank like the ADA!

QvMSI3R.jpg

Next I had to sand the glass I had cut at Lowes. I used 120 grit to sand down the edges that were going to be exposed (top and some of side) I was done in under five minutes and those parts are dull and safe.

FTqxOKA.jpg

Laying the first line of silicon! Now that I think about it, I wish I would have put the silicon on the glass baffle not ther tank but that part is hidden so it isnt a big deal!

ha1LXEe.jpg

Here it is being held in place I have heard of using CDs or books but I prefer painters tape.

GeTvb2P.jpg

Then next baffle is the wall to make the back of the display refugium. Here I am drilling the holes to let water flow into the final return chaimber.

R5BGi3z.jpg

Here are the finished holes they aren't as uniform as I would like but I can just put some mangraves in front of the holes to hide them a bit.

1Eparho.jpg

Here is how the tank will be sitting for a week so It can have extra dry time and I can gather supplies for the fuge.

tynzgcd.jpg

I will try to clean up the silicon a bit more over the week. But it wont be as nice as Nanotopias work.. :) To make up for it though I want to do something cool in the fuge like those awesome nature aquariums. I dont think I will be able to pull off something as nice but I can take some inspiration from them! The things I already know I am going to have are mangroves, flame algae, xenia, gsp, cheato, and other macros.

Here are just a few of the nature tanks I have found. ALL IMAGES FROM GOOGLE. NOT MY PICS.

GBoaWtT.jpg

ii5W3yO.jpg

fPyiCwJ.jpg

DYTIosX.jpg

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 4

'cept it's CADlights...and they are quite the varying opinions on that company to say the least... :P

Yeah I know. But there has been some successful cadlights buyers. :)

FishBrawler
'cept it's CADlights...and they are quite the varying opinions on that company to say the least...:P

Must have two different people doing the work... a good and a bad one! Haha

Deleted User 4

CAD Lights sucks!

Someone here on nr bought a zen series from them. Looks just like an ada. For half the price.

Deleted User 4

my lfs has those, if they had been released sooner i would have gone with the 15g instead of the mr. aqua.

Yeah the zen series looks 10x times better than mr. aqua.

:)

Which lfs are you referring to?? I should go check out the zen series in person...

8 comments. Not a single about my sump just CAD lights.. facepalm lol

Okokok. I'll stop. :(

Nice progress on the sump though. :)

Yeah the zen series looks 10x times better than mr. aqua. :) Which lfs are you referring to?? I should go check out the zen series in person... Okokok. I'll stop. :( Nice progress on the sump though. :)

Haha thanks! It should be sweet in the end. Going to use a couple types of sand to give it the look of those nature tanks!

Deleted User 4

I dunno I absolutely love my 7 gallon cadlight zen the quality is totally insane for the price.

Oh yeah, so you're the one who bought it on here.

Haha thanks! It should be sweet in the end. Going to use a couple types of sand to give it the look of those nature tanks!

Yeah, you're throwing macros and gorgs?

Oh yeah, so you're the one who bought it on here.

Yeah, you're throwing macros and gorgs?

Never thought about gorgs. Maybe if I can get some cheep!

Yeah I had heard mixed things about cadlights so I was leery to order but once I got the tank I was in disbelief with how awesome the tank was.

Ordered some cool stuff today! I first ordered the stuff needed to do a 2NW and 1RB DIY from Rapid LED to put over the refugium. And I ordered 10 red mangroves seeds on ebay! Every thing should arive in the Tuesday to Thursday range!

Got back from a week long vacation and got back to some sad things...

1.LaReefs BTA is a bit bleeched.

2.Agave Polyp is closed

3.Cant find nem crab(Ill update if I find him)

4.The red slime that was almost gone is a new big patch on the left side of the sand bed.

5.Leak tested the sump and there is a lot of patching to do on the baffles.

I am going to try to reverse these issues and I will keep all of you posted!

nanoreefer11

Got back from a week long vacation and got back to some sad things... 1.LaReefs BTA is a bit bleeched. 2.Agave Polyp is closed 3.Cant find nem crab(Ill update if I find him) 4.The red slime that was almost gone is a new big patch on the left side of the sand bed. 5.Leak tested the sump and there is a lot of patching to do on the baffles. I am going to try to reverse these issues and I will keep all of you posted!

Man thats a lot.. good luck man!

I had no idea you were on a vacation week. Sucks, makes me not to ever want a vacation....
Ahh.. nothings dead so thats a plus. I found the crab and fixed the silicone. So I tackled the first two easy ones. The other three will take a bit more work. I was ready to take out my GFO tumbler when I got the fuge but Im afraid to take it out now that there is a big patch of red slime again. I think I am still going to sell the GFO tumbler and build the media basket for the sump to run Floss and Chemipure or Purigen. I like the natural approch better because it is a lot more fun to trim algae rather than change GFO. On a side note I'm planning on getting a Tunze Nano ATO soon. Between a ATO and fuge Im hoping to turn all this bad stuff around.

Man thats a lot.. good luck man!
Thanks! Im gonna need some luck for the slime and Agave for sure!
I hope you get back on track soon. Good Luck bud.

Thanks! I really hope so too! Even if the DT takes a while to get back on track I will be able to entertain you all with pics of the Fuge and the DIY LED build!

Got some stuff yesterday!

I got this ottoman from Target for $20!

yucxjiP.jpg

The best part is my 5 gallon container fits perfectly!

3dc1irU.jpg

I also got some sand for the fuge! Caribsea Sugar Grade Sand. (Tried to put "N-R" in it but it was a bit of a fail haha.

X6JYg2w.jpg

Also some bad news.. It looks like the agave is a gonner... :(

To try to even out the bad with the good I will be building the media basket for my sump that I will show off later!

Archived