ReefCleaners.org

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

bdevillier19

Its hard to see on my cell phone but it looks like the outer PCB have 4 LEDs each?

Never mind. Didn't refresh the page before posting. Looking good.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Its hard to see on my cell phone but it looks like the outer PCB have 4 LEDs each?

Never mind. Didn't refresh the page before posting. Looking good.

Yes, so with this revision, it would have:

4x Vero 10 4K @ 350mA (~1,180lm)

8x Luxeon M RB @ 1A (~6,200mW)

12x Luxeon Z B @ 1A (~85lm)

4x Luxeon Z C @1A (~74lm)

8x Luxeon UV 0400-0450 @ 1A (~960mW)

8x Luxeon UV 0425-0650 @ 1A (~1,260mW)

Sounds like the begning of killer kessil style hmalide murderers

Eh, kinda. Metal halide, despite the bulb itself being point-source, with reflectors distribute the light far better than a 3" long cluster of LEDs ever could, even without lenses. It's just the nature of the beast.

jedimasterben

So with the luxeon z and UV as well as the PCBs, what is the cost per 4 led board?

The LHUV-0400-450 are $13.80 each, the LHUV-0425-650 are $12.24 each, the LXZ1-PB01 are $2.42 each, and the LXZ1-PE01 are $1.30 each. The boards are $2 each. So, half the boards have 1x 400-405nm, 1x 425-430nm, 2x 470nm and cost $32.88, and the other half have 1x 400-405nm, 1x 425-430nm, 1x 470nm, 1x 495nm and cost $31.76. That is materials cost, I'm having Steve's mount them for me, so that cost is extra and TBD.

If you were not doing the Luxeon UV on those boards, the Luxeon Z cost anywhere from $0.98 each to $2.70 each depending on the LED and if you get them from Future or Mouser (Mouser seems to have much better binning at higher cost), a board with 4x LEDs can cost $6-12.

bdevillier19

Wow that's pretty cool. That could make for some really cool projects.

I need to quit checking your builds so often. Not good for my bank account. Lol.

How big are the 4up PCBs?

NirvanaandTool

Pretty much - new things are becoming more available (and much cheaper, too), so I figure since I haven't bought most of the diodes yet, I can figure out exactly what I want. I have used the XP-E and XP-E2 (and Rebel ES) in the past, but definitely not the Luxeon Z or UV, so I'd love to test them out.

And just think - with the Luxeon Z, you can buy the bare diodes from Future for ~$1.00-1.30 apiece, 20mm 4up boards for $2 each, and then have a place like Steve's mount them for a small fee (can't imagine it would be more than $30 or so for a small run), you've got an ultra cheap array that takes up little space.

Hell, if someone can design a PCB for them to get them printed up, then you could do very large, high-powered multichips that still take up only a couple of inches of space. :)

Yea I understand. Plus you are our guinea pig so try out all the new LEDs and report back in. Kthx. :lol:

In the meantime, maybe I'll get my cluster built sometime this year with the XPE2s, BXRA 950s, LuxM's & the LGB HVs. Old school design :P

The concept sounds awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.

jedimasterben

Nice. Keeps things nice and close.

Yeah, there is an incredibly tiny amount of space between the LEDs. Those four (including the space between them) is still less than the size of a single Cree LED.

Yea I understand. Plus you are our guinea pig so try out all the new LEDs and report back in. Kthx. :lol:

:P

jedimasterben

Shiitttt, I just calculated total LED wattage - the new revisions put me right around 230w, so my 240w HLG power supply won't work. :(

jedimasterben

Yeah, but I still don't think I'm gonna use the HLG-240H, though the HLG-320H is $123 :/

Anyone wanna buy an HLG-240H? lol

jedimasterben

No, but I probably should have, with a 2560x1440 res. this is the B1 revision, though, and the A1revision of the Asus 780 overclocked very well and was very power efficient, so I should have no problems overclocking this beyond 780 ti performance on water. Load temps will be around 35-40C :)

bdevillier19

and my wife says i have expensive hobbies. lol :lol:. i need to calculate my power supply still so i might be interested.

Yeah, but I still don't think I'm gonna use the HLG-240H, though the HLG-320H is $123 :/

Anyone wanna buy an HLG-240H? lol

I'm in the market for one of those I think..what's the going rate?

jedimasterben

and my wife says i have expensive hobbies. lol :lol:. i need to calculate my power supply still so i might be interested.

Yeah, I've got three very expensive hobbies - reef tanks, LEDs, and high-performance computers lol. I'm still considering swapping out my CPU and motherboard for an i7 4770K and an Asus Maximux VI Hero, but that's another $450ish that I'd gotta drop for a shot in the dark with overclocking. According to Asus, "70% of CPUs can clock to 4.5GHz, 30% of CPUs can clock to 4.6GHz, 20% of CPUs can clock to 4.7GHz, 10% of CPUs can to 4.8GHz, with varying amounts of voltage." My i7 2600K has been running at 4.8GHZ with 1.4v at load since I got it, and I literally told the BIOS to set it to 4.8 with everything else on auto, loaded up first try, stress tested stable, and been running ever since.

If I could get a 4770K that would run 4.8GHz, then I'd see a 20% increase in performance per clock and a bit lower power consumption with a good chip, but a mediocre chip with 4.4-4.5GHZ at higher voltage will diminish that performance gain very quickly.

I'm in the market for one of those I think..what's the going rate?

They're ~$95 shipped new from various places. This one I never even got to plug in :(

Yeah, I've got three very expensive hobbies - reef tanks, LEDs, and high-performance computers lol. I'm still considering swapping out my CPU and motherboard for an i7 4770K and an Asus Maximux VI Hero, but that's another $450ish that I'd gotta drop for a shot in the dark with overclocking. According to Asus, "70% of CPUs can clock to 4.5GHz, 30% of CPUs can clock to 4.6GHz, 20% of CPUs can clock to 4.7GHz, 10% of CPUs can to 4.8GHz, with varying amounts of voltage." My i7 2600K has been running at 4.8GHZ with 1.4v at load since I got it, and I literally told the BIOS to set it to 4.8 with everything else on auto, loaded up first try, stress tested stable, and been running ever since.

If I could get a 4770K that would run 4.8GHz, then I'd see a 20% increase in performance per clock and a bit lower power consumption with a good chip, but a mediocre chip with 4.4-4.5GHZ at higher voltage will diminish that performance gain very quickly.

Unless things have changed since I was in the market ~6 months ago, Haswell processors are not overclocking well and are harder to delid. I bought an Asus Impact which was DOA. Save the $450 IMO.

jedimasterben

Unless things have changed since I was in the market ~6 months ago, Haswell processors are not overclocking well and are harder to delid. I bought an Asus Impact which was DOA. Save the $450 IMO.

Pretty much the same as it was. Probably will wait for the next gen stuff, if it is any better.

Archived