Cultivated Reef

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

I still can't believe how impossibly tiny the Luxeon Z/UV are!

IMG_20140315_115158319.jpg

And remember that there are FOUR of them mounted to each board!

How big are these boards. They dont look that large seeing as the spot in the middle should be the rough equivalent of a 3535 package in surface area.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Just treated myself to a new soldering iron (Weller WLC100 station), another chisel tip (ST2), some no-clean flux, tinner, polishing bar, and a couple of other goodies. I've gone so long with a crappy soldering iron with no station for it, shitty tips, and having shitty solder joints, it's about time I sprung for some quality equipment.

jedimasterben

I'm looking forward to it. I've never had nice stuff like that before, even though it is still technically 'low-end' :)

I also bought a pair of Klein wire strippers the other day, they do 20-32AWG, unlike my current ones that are all rusty and do 12-20AWG, making it very difficult to strip 22 or 24 AWG :)

NirvanaandTool

Whoa where'd you get Klein strippers that go that small? I have the standard pair that does 12-20 but not past 20. BTW Klein ftw - use their tools for everything.

Nice on the soldering station. I just got one too, a different brand though. Got an Aoyue based on some reviews on RC & Amazon. Figure its not like it goes bad, always need a good soldering iron.

Reefmaster1996

I got a Chinese copy of that exact same station, it's blue instead of red but it's exactly the same and works like a charm, best soldering iron ive used, it cost me about the same as the weller you got

jedimasterben

Whoa where'd you get Klein strippers that go that small? I have the standard pair that does 12-20 but not past 20. BTW Klein ftw - use their tools for everything.

Home Depot, not in the normal spot for electrical tools (like multimeters, testers, etc) but they are next to the Cat5/6 cable.

Nice on the soldering station. I just got one too, a different brand though. Got an Aoyue based on some reviews on RC & Amazon. Figure its not like it goes bad, always need a good soldering iron.

Never heard of it, but I know Weller makes some quality stuff, so why not :)

I got a Chinese copy of that exact same station, it's blue instead of red but it's exactly the same and works like a charm, best soldering iron ive used, it cost me about the same as the weller you got

Nice, I'm excited to get to use it :)

Reefmaster1996

Finally got to lay out all my LEDs, all I need is a stormx, 8xtv LEDs, some thermal adhesive and wire, and I can finally hook it all up and test it, before I make an acrylic box for it to make it all pretty.

Super excited for the first flick of the switch on both our builds

NirvanaandTool

Home Depot, not in the normal spot for electrical tools (like multimeters, testers, etc) but they are next to the Cat5/6 cable.

Never heard of it, but I know Weller makes some quality stuff, so why not :)

Nice, I'm excited to get to use it :)

Cool I'll have to look for it the next time I'm at Depot. Which seems like its at least a few times a week for house or tank stuff haha

I hadn't either but it gets good reviews so it was worth a shot. Came with a bunch of different sized tips too.

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Also - the NDA has lifted, if anyone wants to talk about the Bluefish controller, let me know :)

IMG_20140401_232219411.jpg

Also - the NDA has lifted, if anyone wants to talk about the Bluefish controller, let me know :)

IMG_20140401_232219411.jpg

Just do one of your awesome write ups. Then nobody will have any questions. :P

bdevillier19

im sure everyone wants to know about it. my concern is, is the added cost of the blue fish worth it? i know the mobile control and the UI are nice, but how much better is it than the storm x? if all the accessories were available now so one could see how much it would take to make an apex style controller it would be easier to make the decision. i just dont want to drop $200 on just the light controller only to find out that the future accessories take for ever to show up or cost an arm and a leg.

im sure everyone wants to know about it. my concern is, is the added cost of the blue fish worth it? i know the mobile control and the UI are nice, but how much better is it than the storm x? if all the accessories were available now so one could see how much it would take to make an apex style controller it would be easier to make the decision. i just dont want to drop $200 on just the light controller only to find out that the future accessories take for ever to show up or cost an arm and a leg.

What he said, plus any major pros and cons would be helpful so we can decide about pre-ordering please

jedimasterben

Just do one of your awesome write ups. Then nobody will have any questions. :P

:lol:

Is the added cost worth it? Yes. At this point, I haven't used the Storm X, but there is a lot more that the Bluefish is capable of. As a lighting controller alone, I don't think I could justify it, but looking at is as a reef controller, the value goes up considerably.

Spencer has said quite a bit that he will be keeping prices competitive, so I'd imagine that the new features won't be all that much. I can't wait for the powerbar :)

What he said, plus any major pros and cons would be helpful so we can decide about pre-ordering please

Gotcha. I'll try and put my notes on it into an, uh, more readable format lol.

bdevillier19

Well I guess time will tell. At this point, saying his prices are competitive with just the light controller means nothing because there is no other device to offer an apples to apples comparison. Like you said, as a stand alone light controller its a bit pricey, but as a complete controller I'd definitely be interested. Any idea on when the power bar is supposed to make its public showing?

jedimasterben

SOOOOOOOOOOO CLOOOOOOSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE! PICTURES WILL BE UP!

-Dave

OH LAWDS, MY BODY IS READY

My tank won't know what to do coming from this:

IMG_6197.jpg

Well I guess time will tell. At this point, saying his prices are competitive with just the light controller means nothing because there is no other device to offer an apples to apples comparison. Like you said, as a stand alone light controller its a bit pricey, but as a complete controller I'd definitely be interested.

Yeah, adding in wireless control and app-control to a hybrid between the Storm and Storm X would be the closest comparison.

Any idea on when the power bar is supposed to make its public showing?

No, all we've been told is that it will exist at some point :lol:

Reefmaster1996

I'm also interested in future updates and opinions on the bluefish, I think I'll wait it out to see if it's worth it after people give it a good time tested review.

jedimasterben

Looking to use 8020 aluminum extrusion to hang the light. One 'double' rail will mount to the wall parallel to the tank, and will have two arms coming off and over the tank. It's inexpensive, easy to drill, and should look sexy. I will be able to adjust the arms left and right, the mounts to the arms, and the wire length that attaches to the Nanobox unit, so I will be able to get it to hang perfectly centered. :)

jedimasterben

You'll have to email Steve's and ask them, I wasn't charged for the reflow, but I've worked with them on a lot of things in the past.

Archived