Innovative Marine Aquariums

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

If anyone is using Meanwell LDD-L drivers, there is an eBay seller selling Meanwell CLG-150-36A drivers and will accept $10 each for them, shipped. The CLG is the predecessor of the HLG, and only lacks a little efficiency, but has the same build quality of the HLG. Get em while you can!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEANWELL-CLG-150-36A-150W-Single-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-/181378333673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3afdbbe9

not bad whis it was 48v though

so this could only power say 3 luxeon m's per ldd right?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

See now that's a fixture I can get behind. I just can't do solo LEDS on sps tanks. Good job

Then you're about to not like it anymore.

not bad whis it was 48v though

so this could only power say 3 luxeon m's per ldd right?

No, only two. The LDD-L output 32v with 36v input, each M is 11v minimum. If you could get your hands on the 6v or 3v M, then you could run more, but they need higher current to reach full output.

Then you're about to not like it anymore.

No, only two. The LDD-L output 32v with 36v input, each M is 11v minimum. If you could get your hands on the 6v or 3v M, then you could run more, but they need higher current to reach full output.

so how many 700ma ldd can I run off of one of those? 4? maybe 5

lol I was hoping you would just tell me so I don't have to do math

so luxeon m at 700ma 11v is 7.7watts = about 19 luxeon m's right?

jedimasterben

You could run 150x LDD from one of them if you have one watt of LED on each :P

But you wouldn't wire that PS right to LEDs would? Wouldn't you wire it to drivers like LDDs?

Yep.

I know it says 36A but on the spec sheet it says max current of 4.2A. So it does have the capability of handling 36 700ma drivers, what is is the meaning of 4.2A max current?

I know it says 36A but on the spec sheet it says max current of 4.2A. So it does have the capability of handling 36 700ma drivers, what is is the meaning of 4.2A max current?

+1

More info pleas

CLG Specs

CURRENT ADJ. RANGE - 2.1 ~ 4.2A

CONSTANT CURRENT - 27 ~ 36V

VOLTAGE ADJ. RANGE - 31 ~ 41V

jedimasterben

The CLG and HLG series are constant current or constant voltage supplies, the -150/-150H models supply up to 150 watts of power. There are models that range from 12v output (with high current) to 48v output (with low current).

When powering LDD, you only pay attention to the output voltage (which selects how much output voltage you'll have from your LDD) and the maximum wattage, as a 1A LDD running 6v of LEDs will pull nowhere near 1A, while still giving 1A on the output side.

To make it a little easier, I'll use that specific power supply (the CLG-150-36A), one LDD-700L, and 12v of LEDs.

The CLG will output a constant 36v and up to 150 watts of power.

The LDD-700L are taking that 36v input and output up to 32v with 700mA constant current. You're only powering 12v of LEDs, though, which is 375% of the total voltage output. The LDD will ALWAYS receive 36v input, but the amount of current it needs depends on the voltage of the LEDs it is powering, so instead of always pulling 36v at 700mA (which would be 25.2 watts), the LDD will only pull 311mA from the power supply, which at 36v is 11.2 watts of power pulled from the power supply, with 8.4w of that going to the LEDs, and the remaining 2.8w wasted by the LDD in the conversion.

Long story short, figure out how many watts of LEDs you're powering (so the voltage of the LEDs times their current) and get a power supply that gives at least that many watts. If using less efficient power supplies, add ~20% to the watts and use that. The HLG and CLG are made to run at full or nearly full capacity so you don't need that 'spare area' for them.

The CLG and HLG series are constant current or constant voltage supplies, the -150/-150H models supply up to 150 watts of power. There are models that range from 12v output (with high current) to 48v output (with low current).

When powering LDD, you only pay attention to the output voltage (which selects how much output voltage you'll have from your LDD) and the maximum wattage, as a 1A LDD running 6v of LEDs will pull nowhere near 1A, while still giving 1A on the output side.

To make it a little easier, I'll use that specific power supply (the CLG-150-36A), one LDD-700L, and 12v of LEDs.

The CLG will output a constant 36v and up to 150 watts of power.

The LDD-700L are taking that 36v input and output up to 32v with 700mA constant current. You're only powering 12v of LEDs, though, which is 375% of the total voltage output. The LDD will ALWAYS receive 36v input, but the amount of current it needs depends on the voltage of the LEDs it is powering, so instead of always pulling 36v at 700mA (which would be 25.2 watts), the LDD will only pull 311mA from the power supply, which at 36v is 11.2 watts of power pulled from the power supply, with 8.4w of that going to the LEDs, and the remaining 2.8w wasted by the LDD in the conversion.

Long story short, figure out how many watts of LEDs you're powering (so the voltage of the LEDs times their current) and get a power supply that gives at least that many watts. If using less efficient power supplies, add ~20% to the watts and use that. The HLG and CLG are made to run at full or nearly full capacity so you don't need that 'spare area' for them.

couldn't help the 10$ price just got 3 for my vivarium

NirvanaandTool

If anyone is using Meanwell LDD-L drivers, there is an eBay seller selling Meanwell CLG-150-36A drivers and will accept $10 each for them, shipped. The CLG is the predecessor of the HLG, and only lacks a little efficiency, but has the same build quality of the HLG. Get em while you can!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEANWELL-CLG-150-36A-150W-Single-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-/181378333673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3afdbbe9

See it's stuff like this that makes me not want to check this thread anymore. I buy stuff and then a week or two later you post something better or cheaper or newer. :P Just kidding.

I picked up a Meanwell NES-350-48 from Mouser a couple weeks ago. Based on its claimed ~87-88% efficiency I couldn't see spending the extra on a HLG. But man that CLG is a freakin deal!

My cluster (when it actually gets built in the longest freaking build ever in the history of fish tanks) will be the outdated Evil Cluster. BRXA 950s, Steve's M's, XPE2 Blues, Cyan Rebel's, & LGB HV's. Oh well, still better than no light! :lol:

jedimasterben

See it's stuff like this that makes me not want to check this thread anymore. I buy stuff and then a week or two later you post something better or cheaper or newer. :P Just kidding.

I picked up a Meanwell NES-350-48 from Mouser a couple weeks ago. Based on its claimed ~87-88% efficiency I couldn't see spending the extra on a HLG. But man that CLG is a freakin deal!

My cluster (when it actually gets built in the longest freaking build ever in the history of fish tanks) will be the outdated Evil Cluster. BRXA 950s, Steve's M's, XPE2 Blues, Cyan Rebel's, & LGB HV's. Oh well, still better than no light! :lol:

I think Evil's original counts as the 'outdated' one ;)

I bought the HLG because of the IP rating - being anywhere near a tank, after seeing how much saltwater I spill on a regular basis, it's best to have a good IP rating!

it's in my sig but it's 151 gallons and so I wont need near that amount- But I have lots of leds projects ;)

Tru dat, and at $10, can't beat it with a stick. Well, you could, but it wouldn't get ya very far :)

NirvanaandTool

Haha good point. We'll call your original Version 1.0 so I've got Version 1.1 since I've got the XPE2 blues instead of the Rebel ES blues.

Yea that's a really good point. I may tuck mine in a project box or something and just vent it so it has airflow. I dont know, that whole portion of my build is so up in the air. Still a bunch to do before I can get to wiring and all that.

jedimasterben

Same here, I can't wait to have it all here and put together, but I'm absolutely dreading how much work there is to do lol.

Think this has enough enough voltage to run a borealis array? Might get two of them instead of one meanwell hlg-240h-48a if it's good enough.

jedimasterben

The LDD-L ouptut 32v and the LDD-H output 33v with a 36v input.

Only difference is that the HLG is newer and a few points more efficient.

I was more referring to the possibility of channels taking too much voltage for this to work.

Can't find any documentation for the fV for blue and royal blue Luxeon z at 1000mA.

jedimasterben

The RB/B channel will be around 34.75v average, so the 36v CLG won't work unless you tune the output voltage up, but I'm not sure how high you can turn it. I know on the 48v ELN drivers you can take them to 52v no problem, so I'd imagine you can get to ~40v on the CLG. Be sure to use LDD-H and not LDD-L, though!

I've got done lddh coming in. :)

If the don't work I'll just put one on the hardware classifieds and get a small hlg and keep the other for the small channels.

jedimasterben

But then you have to have two power supplies plugged in to power a single array lol, plus you have two power supply inefficiencies to deal with. :)

Archived