Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ArabTanker's Next Chapter - Photo Dump On Every Page

ArabTanker

I am really pushing the limits when it comes to feeding and lack of maintenance haha.

Also. Came home today and saw that there's an ich outbreak clown and tang are covered. Damsel seems fine. Couldn't check the wrasse because he's sleeping. They're all eating. Should be fine right?

Hmm I wanna say yes,but,knock on wood I've yet to have anything like that in the tank. Miss Kat would know how to deal with this probably,she knows most everything :)
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ick requires treatment in a QT tank of all the fish, not just the ones showing the spots. The DT has to run fallow for 72 days. The life cycle of the parasite is 11 days or something, which means tomorrow you will not see the spots but on the 11th day the same 2 fish will likely show signs. "covered" is a severe outbreak, the ich parasite is in the gills, when it runs out of room it goes on to the body and is visible. If the fish are gargling at the surface, a fresh water dip will ease them a bit, the visible parasites will fall off. However they are not dead and gone just because you can't see them

NLS ick pellets and Dr Gs medicated foods can help keep the ich from becoming over whelming but doesn;t cure the problem. A QT and treatment with Chloroquine phosphate is the only cure.

Hmm I wanna say yes,but,knock on wood I've yet to have anything like that in the tank. Miss Kat would know how to deal with this probably,she knows most everything :)

Ick requires treatment in a QT tank of all the fish, not just the ones showing the spots. The DT has to run fallow for 72 days. The life cycle of the parasite is 11 days or something, which means tomorrow you will not see the spots but on the 11th day the same 2 fish will likely show signs. "covered" is a severe outbreak, the ich parasite is in the gills, when it runs out of room it goes on to the body and is visible. If the fish are gargling at the surface, a fresh water dip will ease them a bit, the visible parasites will fall off. However they are not dead and gone just because you can't see them

NLS ick pellets and Dr Gs medicated foods can help keep the ich from becoming over whelming but doesn;t cure the problem. A QT and treatment with Chloroquine phosphate is the only cure.

Would it be irresponsible of me to see if they'll just see it through? I think Ick is pretty normal in established tanks, no? I think theres an outbreak right now because the skimmer has been off for the past two days. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Would it be irresponsible of me to see if they'll just see it through? I think Ick is pretty normal in established tanks, no? I think theres an outbreak right now because the skimmer has been off for the past two days. Thats the only thing I can think of.

I don't think it's irresponsible.

But the skimmer has nothing to do with it.

jedimasterben

The skimmer wouldn't affect anything unless you have no surface agitation to allow oxygen exchange (but it's really unlikely). Ich is a living parasite, not a disease, and it lives inside a fish's gills until it has the opportunity to take over, like kat said.

You can ignore it, but I can tell you this - you're biding your time and you may end up losing the fish in the end, but you may not. Up to you on what to do. :)

Feed at least twice a day of not three times, keep them fat, you might be fine. You will go through 2 or 3 visible cycles, then a few gills only cycles, then it will settle down until you add another fish. The smaller the tank the bigger the risk ich can overrun everything.

My concern here would be the look of the fish. If they are literally covered in white dots you may have a problem. I never see more than a few dots on mine.

You can ignore it, but I can tell you this - you're biding your time and you may end up losing the fish in the end, but you may not. Up to you on what to do. :)

My concern here would be the look of the fish. If they are literally covered in white dots you may have a problem. I never see more than a few dots on mine.

They do have a lot of spots on them... Especially the tang. How do you guys catch the fish in order to quarantine them? Can I get this medication from a big box store? I have two 10g tanks. Is one enough or should I set both up?

Sorry to hear about your torch! I have no idea pistol shrimp could be so destructive!?!

Thanks. Yeah, neither did I. But this type of pistol is know to be aggressive. I would stay away from them.

jedimasterben

You can get chloroquine phosphate from New Life International. http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-Shield-Powder/dp/B00MNQWACU

Double the dosage on the bottle, no exceptions. CP only works if the dosage is correct, and a half dosage won't have any effect.

You can also use copper sulfate or Seachem's Cupramine, but there are increasingly copper-resistant strains of ich that are popping up. CP is best, though, as it is much gentler on the fish AND it also explicitly kills brooklynella and many other parasites. Combine it with praziquantel and you've got a killer combination to treat the inside and outside of the fish!

Love how your tank is evolving.

Got a lamp just like yours and am also very pleased with it. Am growing various SPSunder it, including a few acros.

Are you running yours with the optics? I got a h**l of a lot better colour mixing after I remved mine :)

Best of luck with the ich. Sucks!

-Nidding

You can get chloroquine phosphate from New Life International. http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-Shield-Powder/dp/B00MNQWACU

Double the dosage on the bottle, no exceptions. CP only works if the dosage is correct, and a half dosage won't have any effect.

You can also use copper sulfate or Seachem's Cupramine, but there are increasingly copper-resistant strains of ich that are popping up. CP is best, though, as it is much gentler on the fish AND it also explicitly kills brooklynella and many other parasites. Combine it with praziquantel and you've got a killer combination to treat the inside and outside of the fish!

Thank you Ben. I'm going to clean my extra tanks and buy the treatment. If theres another bad outbreak I'll isolate them and treat.

You always seem to get me to take your advice. IDK how.

Love how your tank is evolving.

Got a lamp just like yours and am also very pleased with it. Am growing various SPSunder it, including a few acros.

Are you running yours with the optics? I got a h**l of a lot better colour mixing after I remved mine :)

Best of luck with the ich. Sucks!

-Nidding

Thanks bud. Hope everything on your end is doing well! You have the same brand as mine? Mine is Mars Aqua. Mine still have the optics on it. I don't see a problem with the colors not mixing. How high is your light off the top of the tank?

Love the valley :wub:.

I vote for more kitty kat pictures.

And spotted fishy pictures.

Just post pictures man, just do it.

I've got something for you, ladies. Give me some time.

Yep. Got the mars aqua as well.

Mine is only 7" off the surface, so that is probably why I felt it didn't mix well. Just wanted to hear how you are running it :-)

I'm thinking of adding 2 t5's just to see how it would work :-)

I'm doing good over here. Moving the tank to a new apartment next week. That will both suck and be awesome at the same time. But I hope for no serious crashes.

For NR's resident Marilyn Monroe

20150809_143638.jpg

20150809_143625.jpg

20150809_143641.jpg

20150809_152414.jpg

Clown is more interested in the toadstool than the beautiful BTA right next to it.

20150809_152429.jpg

20150809_152448.jpg

Tang with ick

20150809_152544.jpg

20150809_152546.jpg

20150809_152555.jpg

Guard cats.

20150809_152654.jpg

Big man Thor (1y/o) in the front. Princess Titi (2y/o) on the table.

20150809_152706.jpg

20150809_152740.jpg

Added bonus for your viewing pleasure.

What kind of cat is Thor??? He looks like a Savannah! And what kind of toadstool is that/?? JMB, did you see it? Almost looks like a weeping willow.

Great photos, Sherif.

What kind of cat is Thor??? He looks like a Savannah! And what kind of toadstool is that/?? JMB, did you see it? Almost looks like a weeping willow.

Great photos, Sherif.

I wish I could tell you. Some type of tabby. My brother and I joke that he is half bobcat just because how big and muscular he is.

No idea what kind of toadstool it is either.

Thanks, Stella. :)

Took care of all ladies needs in one fell swoop, didn't you. :lol:

Playa

:closedeyes:;)

That is one beefcake of a tabby.

He is called Thor for a reason.

Wanted to drop this off before I hit the hay. After work I put in some hours to finish the stand.

Two different stain colors used.

20150810_201640.jpg

Two of the tiles I plan on using for the top.

20150810_203640.jpg

And this is the first time I used polyethylene. I held the screw driver up so you can see the reflection in the finish. This is before the final polish.

20150810_212328.jpg

All thats left is to cut and install the tile. Then put some trim on the permitter of the tile. Might be able to get some of it done tomorrow.

Wanted to drop this off before I hit the hay. After work I put in some hours to finish the stand.

Two different stain colors used.

20150810_201640.jpg[/url]

Two of the tiles I plan on using for the top.

20150810_203640.jpg[/url]

And this is the first time I used polyethylene. I held the screw driver up so you can see the reflection in the finish. This is before the final polish.

20150810_212328.jpg[/url]

All thats left is to cut and install the tile. Then put some trim on the permitter of the tile. Might be able to get some of it done tomorrow.

This is epic brother. Can't wait to see it done.

I'll do build photos of the custom chameleon furniture/cage I'm making for Action Jackson :)

Archived