SaltCritters.com

FishDude 75 gallon beast

FishDooD65

Hey Gena! Thanks! I'm going on a zoa and paly spending spree lol. I'm buying some new hawaiian palys soon and my good friend is bringing me two new zoanthids he owed me. I will heading to MACNA this coming friday. Maybe I will pick up some new frags while I'm there. Next month I will be adding new lps pieces.

Love the sounds of everything!!!!

Lucky you get to go to MACNA. You should take lots of photos and post them here...if you want to, of course. :)

Are you going to watch Reefgardener's presentation?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the sounds of everything!!!!

Lucky you get to go to MACNA. You should take lots of photos and post them here...if you want to, of course. :)

Are you going to watch Reefgardener's presentation?

Unfortunately i will not be there Sunday when Morgan will be presenting her presentation. I will be there friday only, i will get to see Tony Vargas, Mark Callahan aka Mr. Saltwater Tank, and the one i am eagerly waiting is Sanjay Joshi. I am sure i will meet many people and meet with some familiar faces. I couldn't pass up this opportunity, its a rare opportunity to go to MACNA, especially since its so near my home. I will take lots of pics so no worries!

Just checked my parameters and yuck. Calcium is at 520 and alkalinity at 12. Nitrate at 20. time for a big water change and no dosing lol. my ph is a little low at 7.8 also.

Well here it is! MACNA 2013 pics! I had an amazing time and if MACNA ever comes near you, i suggest you ditch work and go! its an experience of a lifetime and i got to meet so many great people. Chingchai Uekrongtham, Wade King, Brett Rahmer, Thomas Brown, Leng Sy, Eric Cohen, Jason Fox, Stevie-T, Julian Sprung, and so many more. It was awesome!

Here a link: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/332583-macna-2013-pics/

In other news, i completed a treatment of chemiclean to remove a small cyano and fungal outbreak. I have changed 20% of water in the last two days after the treatment and things look great. One thing I have not done in awhile is water changes and i am sticking to them weekly. Also feeding every other day and less food. I picked up some pink hippos and true hawaiian red people eaters today. My tank is looking great. I'm getting some Cornbred Latin Lovers this week and maybe some other goodies. Pics coming soon.

:wub:

20130831_174655_zpscffb2eea.jpg

Google pink hippo zoa

I just got three polyps Kat LOL. Everyone names them differently. These two polyps are huge and the hippos i got are small.... idk what the difference is but we shall see in time when everything grows out.

I just got three polyps Kat LOL. Everyone names them differently. These two polyps are huge and the hippos i got are small.... idk what the difference is but we shall see in time when everything grows out.

I don't know what the difference is myself but mine look like these and I bought them as pink hippos. Chuckys Bride might have more green IDK. They are a very nice sized polyp, not small, about the size of a dime. You will like them, they're very pretty.

I don't know what the difference is myself but mine look like these and I bought them as pink hippos. Chuckys Bride might have more green IDK. They are a very nice sized polyp, not small, about the size of a dime. You will like them, they're very pretty.

i would say the "chuckie's brides" that i have are about the size of a dime, maybe the the guy i bought the pink hippos from was wrong lol.

Another Update: I got some "pink hippos" and some true red people eaters from a buddy for a great deal. I have no pics yet but i will soon. My tank is looking great with all the the frags i have. I also managed to pickup some of the polyps i have wanted for awhile. Cornbred Latin Lovers, they are beautiful. Here's a pic

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/redsihatch/media/20130909_195525_zps888fb4fc.jpg.html'>20130909_195525_zps888fb4fc.jpg

FTS

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/redsihatch/media/20130909_235324_zpscbd4f18f.jpg.html'>20130909_235324_zpscbd4f18f.jpg

My tank looks like a massive frag tank, but i'm sure everyone's tank looks like this at the beginning stages. All i need now is time lol.

wtf is that o.o

no clue LOL

are you not dipping?

Yes sir, I dip everything in coral rx. sometimes things make it through dipping hence the further recommendation of quarantining your corals. i just dip and add it. if i see things aren't opening then i check for predators/pests and then take further action.

I'm pretty sure that's a peanut worm. If so then it's totally harmless.

Whatever it was is now gone.... i didn't want to take any chances on something i didn't know about

man you're stockpiling those zoas! It's nice to see your tank with some wicked pieces in it, keep up the good work

LOL thanks bro. things are moving along and i'm getting deals from local guys and friends....it helps keep my tank stocked up lol. how's school? are your folks taking care of the tank well?

:wub:

20130831_174655_zpscffb2eea.jpg

Google pink hippo zoa

BTW Kat you were 100% correct on this. Pink Hippos are chuckies brides, same coral. The other pink hippos i got were actually pink elephants lol. this zoa name game is out of hand lol

LOL thanks bro. things are moving along and i'm getting deals from local guys and friends....it helps keep my tank stocked up lol. how's school? are your folks taking care of the tank well?

Schools going well, just general chem stuff right now, next semester i'll be taking some marine related courses. Parents don't know the first ting about the tank but they're managing, I wrote them out a detailed schedule lol. Just lost a jawbreaker mushroom a couple days ago but aside from that there haven't been many casualties.

Schools going well, just general chem stuff right now, next semester i'll be taking some marine related courses. Parents don't know the first ting about the tank but they're managing, I wrote them out a detailed schedule lol. Just lost a jawbreaker mushroom a couple days ago but aside from that there haven't been many casualties.

Thats good to hear, hopefully your fuge will keep up with the nutrient export and no problems at all is a good thing. sucks losing a mushroom but a jawbreaker shroom.... ouch! the one thing that sucks about school.... they always start you off with the b.s. classes lol.

Pink hippos then. Yay.

BTW pink rhinos also exist. :huh:

Some many different pink animals that name zoas/palys lol..

I took some more pics of some things i've noticed and a new frag.

My rastas are popping out babies.Three polyps, one is closed and three baby polyps.

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/redsihatch/media/20130916_174506_zps42aadd75.jpg.html'>20130916_174506_zps42aadd75.jpg

Red Devil PE

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/redsihatch/media/20130916_160741_zps80e19169.jpg.html'>20130916_160741_zps80e19169.jpg

FTS. it looks like a frag tank but the frags will eventually turn into colonies, hopefully lol

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/redsihatch/media/20130916_174250_zpsa36dff31.jpg.html'>20130916_174250_zpsa36dff31.jpg

Well in more news today i've decided to get something i have wanted and liked since the moment i saw them, I got a lettuce nudibranch. hopefully it will take care of some small patches of hair algae on my rocks.

Lettuce Nudi getting acclimated, i love it....so cool looking

20130917_210226_zps3a9bc3cf.jpg

Miles of Reefs' Florida Sunset polyp looking bigger and healthy

20130917_210959_zps6f9655e4.jpg

Red Devil PE with baby!

20130917_211208_zps8441d71b.jpg

****IN OTHER NEWS******

I've got babies on several frags! My Rastas, Armageddons, Pink Zipper, God Of War, Sunny D's, 24 Karat, Red Devil PE, and Latin Lovers all are growing babies, I'm so happy that the polyps are growing and producing more polyps. Finally a huge sign of progression after all the setbacks and situations. Looks like my good old power compacts with good bulbs produce great results so far. Thanks to all my followers and friends for the help, suggestions, and replys!!!

I was having babies till everything went down hill. :(

Sorry to hear about that bro. i was on the same boat until that dam LED fixture burnt everything in sight lol. It comes with the territory bro, don;t worry i'm sure you will be back on track soon. It took me two months to get things back in order and now I have something else up lol.

*****NEWS FLASH******

What i thought was cyano and diatom was in fact dinoflagellates aka dino. stringy brown algae with bubbles on its tips. I have a few small patches of it and I am not risking or taking any chances. Game Plan is i will not feed the tank and no lights on for three days. l covered the tank up so no light should be able to get in. The tank is up and running the only thing is no lights will be on and no feedings. I have heard many people have had success with this route and that it will not harm corals and fish. they sort of go into hibernation mode. A buddy has had success with this route with his SPS system and no harm was done to anything. Let's see what happens, new frags will be here tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

Well today was a bad day in the Cube. My heater failed and got stuck on, tank temp hit 88 degrees.... corals have closed and some look bad some are ok, and i lost one fish. I lost my longest living fish, my purple firefish. It sucks but thats the risk we take in housing these animals, he will be missed.

On the other hand i plumbed and setup a 265 gallon freshwater tank for my father in law and I have another tank build under by belt.

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/redsihatch/media/20130928_170741_zpsa0b49548.jpg.html'>20130928_170741_zpsa0b49548.jpg

Sorry to hear about the heater issue and the loss. Controllers are a good way to prevent these issues in the future. Looks like you are investing a good amount of money in corals, will save u money in the end if your tank was to crash from equipment failure. Not to mention, they are fun to play with.

Archived