Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FishDude 75 gallon beast

FishDooD65

FishDooD65
Wtf it started? Whereeeee???
all the petcos,oyou just have to have one of thier reward cards and you get a dollar per gallon
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FishDooD65

Awesome! I built my sump today. Modeled after a trigger systems sump...sort of lol. i think i did pretty good. DIY and i honestly did not silicone them to the best of my ability, its not too pretty but it works and thats what i care about,

At the shop working

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/redsihatch/media/20130701_143513_zps7aa7eecb.jpg.html'>20130701_143513_zps7aa7eecb.jpg

75% done

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/redsihatch/media/20130701_193156_zps172cbd0b.jpg.html'>20130701_193156_zps172cbd0b.jpg

Done!

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/redsihatch/media/20130701_194623_zpseb72b804.jpg.html'>20130701_194623_zpseb72b804.jpg

i got my filter sock holding bracket and i will use my tunze 9002 skimmer to start. then i will get a better skimmer with time. Progress is a great thing!

Awesome job with the sump! Looks very similar to my trigger sump and yours is a heck of a lot cheaper...nice!!!! Gonna cut up some egg crate for a sponge or filter media between the fuge and the return chamber?

FishDooD65

Awesome job with the sump! Looks very similar to my trigger sump and yours is a heck of a lot cheaper...nice!!!! Gonna cut up some egg crate for a sponge or filter media between the fuge and the return chamber?

Thanks Gena! You read my mind lol. I am cutting egg crate for that section and possibly putting my chemi pure elite in there instead of the sponge. I do not like sponges unless i get a lot of micro bubbles, if i get bubbles i will add a sponge. I highly doubt i will get bubbles anyways since i will use a filter sock to catch the water coming out of the overflow. I am buying like 20 so i can swap out when needed lol

Thanks Gena! You read my mind lol. I am cutting egg crate for that section and possibly putting my chemi pure elite in there instead of the sponge. I do not like sponges unless i get a lot of micro bubbles, if i get bubbles i will add a sponge. I highly doubt i will get bubbles anyways since i will use a filter sock to catch the water coming out of the overflow. I am buying like 20 so i can swap out when needed lol

I've been actually using the sponge on mine. It works great. It's easy to clean. The thing I like about it is it keeps macro pieces from the fuge out of that return chamber, therefore keeping that chamber nice and clean. You could also get that white and blue filter padding floss stuff (inTank sells it)and cut it exactly to fit that section. You could then change it out daily if needed. I like the sponge since it doesn't impede too much flow. Or just run your chemi pure as planned. Mine has a double shelf..one for the sponge and one to hold carbon, chemi-pure, etc.
FishDooD65
I've been actually using the sponge on mine. It works great. It's easy to clean. The thing I like about it is it keeps macro pieces from the fuge out of that return chamber, therefore keeping that chamber nice and clean. You could also get that white and blue filter padding floss stuff (inTank sells it)and cut it exactly to fit that section. You could then change it out daily if needed. I like the sponge since it doesn't impede too much flow. Or just run your chemi pure as planned. Mine has a double shelf..one for the sponge and one to hold carbon, chemi-pure, etc.
I thought about doing the double shelf but then I thought to myself for what. I will have two bags of chemi pure elite in there and that should block most things from getting to the return pump. If anything I can always just toss in a piece of sponge over the bags of chemipure and call it a day.

In other news, the sump is done and has been water tested. Great success! Now on to the next project, deciding on the overflow system and painting the stand and canopy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well hello everyone, I am back with an update. My tank is thinning out now lol, what i mean i just fragged some stuff. If anyone local is interested in buying some frags of what i have please PM me, its all mushrooms, some zoanthids, and red montipora caps. So far in my cube things are doing ok and still getting accustomed to the LED fixture. One thing i have learned is when you go with LEDs you definitely need some sort of dimmer, height adjustability, or mesh screens. I bleached some corals and didn't make adjustments quick enough but nothing serious i cannot come back from. As for my 55 build progress, I still need an overflow system and skimmer. The stand and canopy need to painted. I also need some rocks. Slowly but surely it will get done. One big thing comes to mind though, I am not sure if i will do a 55 FOWLR or 55 reef tank. I believe the FOWLR will be less expensive and will not require me spending money on some nice LED fixtures. I am not 100 percent yet on the 55 but i will keep on moving along and if i can build a reef, i will. If not fish only with live rock will work.

Here's the frag for sale thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/330121-selling-frags-in-miami-local-only-no-shipping/

Well hello everyone, I am back with an update. My tank is thinning out now lol, what i mean i just fragged some stuff. If anyone local is interested in buying some frags of what i have please PM me, its all mushrooms, some zoanthids, and red montipora caps. So far in my cube things are doing ok and still getting accustomed to the LED fixture. One thing i have learned is when you go with LEDs you definitely need some sort of dimmer, height adjustability, or mesh screens. I bleached some corals and didn't make adjustments quick enough but nothing serious i cannot come back from. As for my 55 build progress, I still need an overflow system and skimmer. The stand and canopy need to painted. I also need some rocks. Slowly but surely it will get done. One big thing comes to mind though, I am not sure if i will do a 55 FOWLR or 55 reef tank. I believe the FOWLR will be less expensive and will not require me spending money on some nice LED fixtures. I am not 100 percent yet on the 55 but i will keep on moving along and if i can build a reef, i will. If not fish only with live rock will work.

Here's the frag for sale thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/330121-selling-frags-in-miami-local-only-no-shipping/

don't get a HOB overflow. do the test to see if the back is tempered or not and drill it. I can't stand my overflow and it's 'the best one out there'.

• 2 weeks later...

So another update to my thread, i have removed and sold my BoostLED fixture. The light was way too strong for my tank even hung up over 12" over my tank and electrical tape to cover up some LEDs. One lesson learned is too many LEDs without dimmers and at full blast on a small tank is a recipe for being unsuccessful. Even under PC lighting with the stock biocube hood, my corals have responded better for the past few days. I took the opportunity to talk to Rick over at Reef Radiance and he has given me a tremendous deal. I have ordered a DM-155e light fixture, full spectrum with dimmers. I have not given up on LED and I am sure this time i will be successful with dimmers on the fixture. I also ordered another goodie, a Jebao wp25 wavemaker. My tank will be pimped out with Reef Radiance gear! I recommend RIck and his company to anyone, his prices are the best and his service and expertise is top notch!

Where did you order your jebao?

I ordered everything with Rick over at Reef Radiance. Send him and email rick@reefradiance.com and tell him Erwin sent you. He still has a few of them left.

So what was happening to the corals with the high powered LED's?

Well Kat, first of all I want to say i hope you are feeling better after the loss of your dear fish and hope your tank is doing great with your new light setup. First of all, I had the light at 10" over the waterline and i messed up a few pieces. I lost my mystic montipora and christmas favia from bleaching. I even put them in shade and in the sand bed to try and save them. No luck. I raised the light fixture to over 12"-13" over the tank. I noticed some of my zoas shriveling up and closing. I dipped them to make sure no pests and my params have always been in check. I saw my war coral losing tissue then my scoly and wellso started to shrivel up and lose some tissue at the base, mind you they were shaded under my frag rack of zoas. So I changed my lighting schedule to run blue and violets for 1 hours, then blue and white to run 2 hours, then blue and violet again for 3 hours. Nothing changed for the better. I then even put some electrical tape over LEDs to try to dim the LEDS from direct focus downward on the corals. I ran the light for only 5 hours and even ran less daytime lighting. i put it to a stop there before i lost another coral. i felt the light was the problem i was having with my zoas and palys not opening and my other LPS corals losing tissue. I sold the fixture two days ago and then I put back the factory biocube 29 hood witht the PC lights and I see my zoas and palys opening up now and overall everythng is a lot happier. One thing i can and will recommend from my experience, DON'T BUY AN LED FIXTURE THAT IS NOT DIMMABLE! Your corals will thank you for it later. if anyone does get a fixture that is not dimmable, hang the lights really high. I'm talking 13" plus in height from the waterline. My wife wasn't having that lol. The light spillage over the tank was horrible. you could not watch TV in my living room without being blinded from the LED fixture lol. It had to go. So now i got a great deal for the new LED fixture and it is dimmable. I think i am going to be successful with this light after getting the right recommendations from Rick at Reef Radiance. Like i said at the end of the day, this fixture was too powerful for my tank.

All I have to say is this Jebao is a beast lol. I had to buy a dimmer to put inline with the power source and controller to lower the voltage in order to lower the flow. This thing moves water! Its pretty strong for any nano tank. I definitely do not recommend running this pump in a tank under 20-30 gallons tops.

Hello followers! I'm sure there aren't that many of you lol. But to those that are around thanks for being there and taking the time to check out my thread. So I have been back to PC lights and everything is opening again and the corals are looking great/better. I am not putting LEDs back on the cube at all for two reasons; evaporation and reliability. I feel these power compacts will do the job and they work. I did get my nee LED fixture in and its great but it will go for the 55 build. I will just need to buy another fixture later. I still need an overflow box for the 55 and funds have been low lately so needless to say it will be put on hold. I'm picking up some nice frags this weekend and I will post pics of these babies when they come in. Here are some pics, not the best quality but as always they will do.

My fav JF Bloodshot

20130804_231244_zpscd2e5022.jpg

Miami Vice zoas

20130804_231309_zps49282457.jpg

Eagle Eyes

20130804_231453_zps418387c3.jpg

Bam Bams

20130804_231507_zpsdff5a744.jpg

CARs

20130807_204759_zpsb7ca8653.jpg

Sunny Ds from Claya

20130807_233257_zps7f2c12ff.jpg

Tyree Space Monster

20130807_233310_zpse262cb33.jpg

One more try at keeping a wrasse, got a healthy looking Sixline and 5 hermits.

20130807_143712_zps0328c01e.jpg

Sixline Wrasse, he's been eating like a pig and hunting pods. Looks promising!

20130807_204710_zps3eaa3a8d.jpg

Update: I got some very nice high end zoa frags for my collection! 3 polyps of Cornbred God of Wars, 3 polyps of Purple Hornets, A polyp of 24 karat palys, and electric cat eyes. This was a deal i could not pass up. Pics coming soon

Picked up my zoas this weekend and wow what a deal, i got 2 polyps of 24 Karat zoas, electric cat eyes, and a pink zipper. I also picked up some candy apple pinks and a pink elephant zoa. Next on my list is a big frag pack with some new high end stuff. this will close the deal on frags for a little while lol. Here's a clue for my new frag pack coming, it includes electronic willy wonka midgets, hawaiian beauties, and let's say there will be chaos lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Helllllloooo! I got some fire in my tank! Well, some nice polyps. Unfortunately my tank has taken a bad turn the last 2 weeks. I was having issues with hair algae, cyano/fungus on my polyps, and some other issues. From my experience, I thought about all the factors contributing to these issues and i did what I had to do. First i noticed the biggest change i did was change my light schedule to run my lights about 10 hours total. actinic on for one hour, then both actinic and 12k lights on for 8 hours, and then one hour of actinic then off. To top it off, i realized the bulbs needed replacement. I started the tank last september.... not good lol. I ordered new bulbs and a tunze pump from my good ol' buddy Stevie-T at inTank. My tunze 9002 pump was acting up and not working after unplugging and replugging. Now my lights will go on for one bulb on for one hours, then six hours both, and then one bulb on for an hour and then off. One issue solved with the lights and another with my tunze pump. Then i was having issues with cyano and fungus on some polyps. I found my UV sterilizer not working, the plug wasn't plugged in right and then i fixed that. I did a big water change along with dipping the infected polyps in Furan-2 and Peroxide. The polyps look clean and free of fungus/bacteria. Unfortunately my bloodshot was affected but i cleaned it up as best as i could. So that should address any bacteria with the UV fixed and water changed. I may stop dosing Fuel by Aquavitro because it might fuel the bacteria and algae lol. Let's see what happens after a few weeks and more water changes. Oh and i'm happy to say my sixline is alive, fat, and doing awesome! I can officially say that I can keep a wrasse alive! But anyways here's some eye candy! PICS TIME!

Bad Bulbs and Old Tunze pump gone!

20130819_210424_zps7eb56259.jpg

Hollywood Stunner

20130818_193831_zpsbc4a1ebc.jpg

Electric Oompa Loompas

20130818_204059_zps2adeb21b.jpg

Utter Chaos

20130818_204107_zpsf3210668.jpg

Miami Vice

20130818_204117_zpsa64c04a9.jpg

Cornbred Punk Rockers

20130818_214800_zps85eaa56e.jpg

Seduction and Green PE Palys

20130820_203836_zps11b948c9.jpg

Pink Zipper

IMG_20130818_202511_zpsa7a7829e.jpg

Tyree Space Monster, CARs, Orange Envy, and Sunny Ds

IMG_20130818_202616_zps9af68c71.jpg

Blondies

IMG_20130818_202435_zps8b90ed0d.jpg

Goblins Of Fire

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/redsihatch/media/IMG_20130818_202404_zps39eb704d.jpg.html'>IMG_20130818_202404_zps39eb704d.jpg

Five Color Rainbows

IMG_20130818_201953_zps1156982b.jpg

BeardedReeferLLC

People ask me all the time how I dose elements into my tank, this is how;

DCCMH_zps2c7d0cfd.gif

That haz me LOL'd on the floor +1,000,000 haha

Super nice zoa/paly collection you have going on here!!!!! And...congrats on the sixline success. :D
Hey Gena! Thanks! I'm going on a zoa and paly spending spree lol. I'm buying some new hawaiian palys soon and my good friend is bringing me two new zoanthids he owed me. I will heading to MACNA this coming friday. Maybe I will pick up some new frags while I'm there. Next month I will be adding new lps pieces.

Archived