Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Supermarvin's PicO III

supermarvin76

They will be fine in qt for two weeks. Personally i like to dose seachem stability while fish are in qt, it keeps the bacteria population up so you dont get any nasty ammonia spikes.

Also the cord is routed upward so that if it got knocked off the glass it wouldn't fall to the floor and break, i have mine routed down and attached to my stand (does the same thing).

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey man, sry ive been awol just letting my diatom bloom get all cleared up before i post any new pics of mine. just an fyi, if you havn't used your 9002 skimmer I'd just return that piece of junk... my definition of a piece of junk is something that literally does not work out of the box (though it should) without modifications.

Mine won't even make small bubbles let alone skimmate. The water level is perfect and it should atleast be making these. But oh well I will have to modify if I want to have a skimmer I would just suggest another option at this point is all. Many others will indeed suffice out of the box without modifications.

supermarvin76
They will be fine in qt for two weeks. Personally i like to dose seachem stability while fish are in qt, it keeps the bacteria population up so you dont get any nasty ammonia spikes.

Also the cord is routed upward so that if it got knocked off the glass it wouldn't fall to the floor and break, i have mine routed down and attached to my stand (does the same thing).

I think I have Sea Chem Stability. Is it possible to overdose, or should I just toss in a cap everyday? Also, how can I remove this sticky thing off my glass without scratching the precious low iron glass?

hey man, sry ive been awol just letting my diatom bloom get all cleared up before i post any new pics of mine. just an fyi, if you havn't used your 9002 skimmer I'd just return that piece of junk... my definition of a piece of junk is something that literally does not work out of the box (though it should) without modifications.

Mine won't even make small bubbles let alone skimmate. The water level is perfect and it should atleast be making these. But oh well I will have to modify if I want to have a skimmer I would just suggest another option at this point is all. Many others will indeed suffice out of the box without modifications.

Hey!

I have the 9002 running right now, with the airline mod done to it. It's gurgling something fierece, and I've tried clearing the airline and adjusting the water level. I can see a lot of moisture in the cup, but no skim gunk yet. Also, I have micro bubbles in my tank.

I am starting to see diatoms on my sand.

supermarvin76

So, a QT update here, with a question.

Yesterday I looked at the QT, and it was not clear! Why? There's nothing in it with the exception of a heater, air pump, and MaxiJett. So.... I took the air pump out, and replaced it with an AC70 running only the carbon and sponge. I know the carbon needs to come out if medicine is needed and the sponge will be rinsed daily or at least every other day.

I also put in some SeaChem Prime- not Stability as tristanschlueter mentioned. (I had forgotten what it was) Should I dose stability in the QT?

Anyhow, I have a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater brewing and warming as I type this. I am planning to do a 5 gallon water change on the QT, and then pick up some clowns this evening or tomorrow..

Thought? Send yo thoughts....

And because I support the Golden Rule, here is a thrilling FTS of the QT. :haha:

IMG_3707_zps4b0b1572.jpg

I don't agree with that. I ran mine for 8 months or so stock and it worked fine. The mod isn't to make it work, the mod is to make it easier to adjust. Additionally, I went with the mod because occasionally I would get a little bit of noise and then not long after that I was getting buildup on the venture elbow. This was cause by the water level being increased during tank maintenance being sucked into the venture airline. I haven't had the problem since the mod.

I'd never say the skimmer works wonder but it does work and probably as good, if not better than other nano skimmers on the market. If you feel yours is defective or you just don't know how to use it then you should return it.

supermarvin76

I don't agree with that. I ran mine for 8 months or so stock and it worked fine. The mod isn't to make it work, the mod is to make it easier to adjust. Additionally, I went with the mod because occasionally I would get a little bit of noise and then not long after that I was getting buildup on the venture elbow. This was cause by the water level being increased during tank maintenance being sucked into the venture airline. I haven't had the problem since the mod.

I'd never say the skimmer works wonder but it does work and probably as good, if not better than other nano skimmers on the market. If you feel yours is defective or you just don't know how to use it then you should return it.

Screeeeeeeech! That's the brakes on this thread becoming a 9002 debate. :D

Now how about that killer FTS shot of the QT?

supermarvin76

I've done a 5 gallon water change on the QT and it was looking good. So, based on my question in the fish forum, I now have a black and an orange Ocellaris relaxing in my humble QT.

I'm hoping to have them, up and into the real tank around the weekend of the 20th.

supermarvin76

These test kits (using Salifert) are SO hard for my to tell the difference of the colors on. I think the display is at 0 or near 0 ammonia, and Nitrates are 10-15. Let's maybe call the Nitrates at 12.5ish.

So based on nothing other then my own brain, I am thinking about doing a 5 gallon water change this week, and then let it run fish-less for another week. Around the weekend of the 13th, adding a few snails. Then run for one more week, doing a 10 gallon water change around the 20th, and then toss my prized clowns in there.

Whataya think? ;)

Sounds like a good plan! This will give you time to observe the new additions and make sure they are earthy and happy. Congrats!

supermarvin76

So I just woke up and I heard a strange sound coming form the tank area. Upon further inspection, I noticed the MP10 just barely, and I mean barely spinning. I was running it around 60% in reef crest.

I tried repositioning it thinking it got bumped somehow. No change.

Tried unplugging it and plugging it back in again. No change.

The only thing that caught my eye is the on the wet part I noticed (I don't know if this has always been there or not) a red ring partially visible.

This thing has been wet and running flawlessly for 2 1/2 weeks now. It was working fine when I went to bed last night.

This is going to eat at me all day at work until I can get it solved.

I hope you resolve the problem ASAP! I never owned an MP10 or any of the EcoTech Marine products but will be making some purchases very soon. Will check back for the end results.

supermarvin76

I've sent an email to both BRS, where I ordered it from and directly to EcoTech.

I have no idea how I am going to be able to function today at work until I figure this out though...

Take the wet side out and make sure that the cover is completely attached to the base (it twists on), the red ring should not be visible. I bet it just got loose somehow and is probably not a big deal.

supermarvin76

Take the wet side out and make sure that the cover is completely attached to the base (it twists on), the red ring should not be visible. I bet it just got loose somehow and is probably not a big deal.

Sweet beans. Thanks. I'll try this as soon as I get home.

Have you tried a hard reset?

Yes I have.

supermarvin76

Just got off the horn with EcoTech. They said the wet side is shot and they'll send a new one with a return label for me to send this one back.

However, I had to go though google accounts which may not have been too bad, but I have a bunch of different google accounts, and yahoo accounts and I couldn't remember which was whic because I'm an idiot.

So, if I didn't screw up the google accounts thing, I shudder be back in business by Thrusday.

Fingers crossed everyone please.

Wow it was actually bad huh? Ecotech is really good about making things right though.

No kidding, a lot of my friends who are also into the hobby says the same thing. Whether the product is failing EcoTech Marine will be there to make it right.

supermarvin76

Wow it was actually bad huh? Ecotech is really good about making things right though.

Apparently. When I was on the phone with EcoTech, they had me remove the wet side and then run the dry side on full power to see if the noise was still there. It wasn't, so they immediately sent me an email with instructions on how to receive a replacement.

It sucks that I had to go through Google Accounts. I would have thought that with a company such as EcoTech I would be able to just deal with them directly. Guess it's not that bad if you're a normal person with one Google Account, but I'm me. Apparently in life I subconsciously enjoy making things as difficult as possible for myself.

Here's to me not having screwed up the replacement order, and my new wet side showing up on Thursday! HERE HERE!!!

Guess it's not that bad if you're a normal person with one Google Account, but I'm me. Apparently in life I subconsciously enjoy making things as difficult as possible for myself.

hahaha! I know what you mean!

supermarvin76

Did a water change today. What a PITA!

I need to figure something out. I turned off the ATO, skimmer, and return pump.

Then drain 4-5 gallons from the display.

Then burned some Apista and rinsed those rocks in the waste water bucket

Then added about 4 gallons back directly to the display.

Then plugged everything back in, and ensured the water level was back to where it should be and made minute water adjustments to ensure such.

Then... NO MORE AND THEN!!!

Is it ok to add the water directly to the display?

AND- the two clowns are both chowing down and doing awesome in the QT.

supermarvin76
How much water are we talking about? I'm sure it will be okay but just check your salinity level.

4-5 gallons. But mind you that is about 25-30% of the display.

4-5 gallons. But mind you that is about 25-30% of the display.

Should not be a problem. That's how I normally do it with the 15 gallon and how I plan on doing it with the PicO S III.

Archived