Pod Your Reef

Supermarvin's PicO III

supermarvin76

Quick question...did you have any issues mounting your ai sol using the mounting bracket? I read on another thread that it interferes with the media basket in the center chamber. Any feedback would be great! Thanks.

I have the shallow version of this tank (18x18x9) and have no issues with the mount other than this mount isn't design for our custom dimesions. However, mounting the AI Nano with the stock bracket it came with in the middle chamber on the back wall is a snug fit, I didn't even have to secure the mount with the 2 screws.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the shallow version of this tank (18x18x9) and have no issues with the mount other than this mount isn't design for our custom dimesions. However, mounting the AI Nano with the stock bracket it came with in the middle chamber on the back wall is a snug fit, I didn't even have to secure the mount with the 2 screws.

Sounds good! Thanks for the reply!

supermarvin76
Quick question...did you have any issues mounting your ai sol using the mounting bracket? I read on another thread that it interferes with the media basket in the center chamber. Any feedback would be great! Thanks.

The only issue is I need to remove the light bracket prior to removing the media basket.

The only issue is I need to remove the light bracket prior to removing the media basket.

This was a big deal for me, too. I have the Kessil and gooseneck so I mounted it on the back glass in "chamber 1". I think it looks cool.

Question, with the stock mount for the AI Nano, is the unit completely centered to your display from above?

supermarvin76

Question, with the stock mount for the AI Nano, is the unit completely centered to your display from above?

I've not measured, but it looks pretty stinkin close to centered.

• 3 weeks later...
supermarvin76

So I've not posted in a while... Sue me! :D Between work, school, kids, and other activities I've not had much free time.The only thing I can say is I'm glad I have a full time job so I have a place to go to for some rest!

Here's the updates:

• I've added a Watchman Goby- which I hate the little bastard because he hides all the time! Well, not really all the time because for I see sand piles all over the place, but I really only see him poking out of his holes about 2 times a day, and right around bed time he scoots around a little. He has a great house though with about 6-8 'doors'. I am worried a little that I have not observed him eating yet. I've had him a week and tried frozen mysis with garlic juice place at his main entrance.

• I also added a skunk cleaner shrimp. Pretty cool little guy and he loves getting ahold and feasting on a piece of mysis.

• I undid the Tunze 9002 skimmer mod. I just couldnt get it to work very well. I did this last night, and it is skimming like a champ right now. However, it is considerably louder. I'm hoping it just needs some time to break in again, but I really don't know what I'm going to do if that's not the case. It is very noisy, but working well. The biggest problem is that the tank is right in the main couch / TV / family area.

• I've found a little black worm. Looks like a centipede. It is much thinner than a standard air line tube, about 5" long ( I think, I've never seen all of it) black with an orange spine and it looks like a centiede. It move's about how you would expect a worm to, except it it sense motion (or I don't know what) it will shoot back into it's hole with lightning speed. From looking online, I think it's a Nereid, but really don't know that for sure.

• I really want to find a place to hide my thermometer and magnet cleaner, and I would also like to take this dang Tunze sticky pad thing off my glass. I am getting tired of seeing it from the other side of the tank. Any suggestions as to how to remove is easily and safely without scratching the safire glass?

I promise to make another post before the official start of summer!!!

Can you try to snag a pic of the worm? I'm curious to see what it is. As for the watchman it's possible he's eating but just not when you are watching, I hope he does well though :/

supermarvin76

Can you try to snag a pic of the worm? I'm curious to see what it is. As for the watchman it's possible he's eating but just not when you are watching, I hope he does well though :/

I don't think I can get a picture if that worm. As soon as I get closer to look, it shoots back into the rock. The first time I saw it was this past Friday, and I haven't seen it since.

On anither note, I am seriously considering adding a fire fish and green chromis. I know people will flame me and say I can't, but there is a lot of room in this tank. (Relatively speaking of course). The watchman hides all the time in his house, the clowns just do their own thing, I would suspect the fire fish would just kinda hide and come out know and then and the chromis will do what they do, just sorta cruise around. I really think all the fish would be able to have "their" space; the is room on all sides of my rock work to include plenty of room behind the rocks.

All that combined with the fact that I have the Tunze 9002 skimmer bubbling and foaming away and I do weekly 10-15% water changes, I think it'll be ok.

You could probably get away with adding the firefish, but 6 fish is going to be a pretty high bioload. I'm not saying it can't be done but you'd have to really keep up with maintanence. Maybe look into getting a small goby instead of the chromis?

supermarvin76

You could probably get away with adding the firefish, but 6 fish is going to be a pretty high bioload. I'm not saying it can't be done but you'd have to really keep up with maintanence. Maybe look into getting a small goby instead of the chromis?

It would actually only be 5 fish:

2 clowns

1 watchman

1 fire fish

1 chromis

supermarvin76

Something has to give with this Tunze 9002 skimmer!!!

As I previosly mentioned, I undid the mod because I couldn't get it to work very well. I have it set up like it "should be" now and it's working great, but the noise from the air intake is VERY loud.

I've read that this could be from water in the air line, but I don't understand how that could have happened. I have the water line about 1/4" below the marker line on the skimmer. If I raise the skimmer anymore ( lower the water level) I don't think it skims as well.

I don't know what to do! It's working great but is very very loud. Again, the noise is the air intake.

timothybui

Something has to give with this Tunze 9002 skimmer!!!

As I previosly mentioned, I undid the mod because I couldn't get it to work very well. I have it set up like it "should be" now and it's working great, but the noise from the air intake is VERY loud.

I've read that this could be from water in the air line, but I don't understand how that could have happened. I have the water line about 1/4" below the marker line on the skimmer. If I raise the skimmer anymore ( lower the water level) I don't think it skims as well.

I don't know what to do! It's working great but is very very loud. Again, the noise is the air intake.

This is giving me second thoughts on purchasing the 9002 skimmer.

supermarvin76

I have the skimmer going silently now. I really don't know what I did. I took it apart and put it back together about 6 times and waited over night. It is pulling foam, but not a lot of it. I wonder if this is because there simply isn't much in the water for it to pull. However my water is crystal clear.

I have seen some string things coming from a few places on a couple pieces of rock. They are sometimes retract or extend out about 5". I think, but don't know for sure they are vermetid snails. I also found another apista anemone I need to blast away with Red Sea Apista X.

And here is the little Watchman who I hate to love. He hides all the time except he pokes his head out after dusk, does a lap or two around the tank, and then I won't see him again for another day. Kinda like him, kinda hate him for that; because I figure if I am going to have his bio-load in the tank, I would at least like to see him....

IMG_3964_zps4bac3c58.jpg

Taken with my iPhone 4S and edited in phone in Snap Seed.

If someone could tell me how to embed a video, I would love to give a virtual tour of my tank..

I couldn't figure out how to host a video with any quality except to upload it to Youtube and use the embed link they provide here. Watchman is kinda lame, thinking about swapping him for something else?

supermarvin76

Watchman is kinda lame, thinking about swapping him for something else?

I'd really like to, but I don't know how to catch him without tearing apart the tank. I think I would really like a diamond goby.

How do I catch him?

supermarvin76

I am finding more and more critters in my tank. Found the crazy black and orange worm the other week, and some whacky nudibranch that looks like a black and white lady but today.For reasons mentioned in an earlier post, I believe my tank can handle two more fish. I was planning on a chromis and a purple fire fish. BUT...I am now thinking about a chromis and (drum roll please) a six line. GASP!

I've heard all the horror stories about sixlines. So here's my thinking. I really like their personalities. The watchman goby I have has a perfect house he can retreat to. In fact, he spends most of his time in there anyway. There's 4-5 ways he can get in or out, it's actually pretty Cool. Next- the clowns are awesome. I love them. And the chromis, well, I'm honestly hoping he will be the weak sacrificial fish if need be.

My thoughts and hopes are that if aggression does occur; it will be toward the chromis, which I'd be ok with.

I dunno.....

supermarvin76

I don't haver any pics.... SORRY! I really haven't done anything to the tank aside from add the fish, shrimp, and CUC...

I have silenced the skimmer though. It's foaming away like mad too. I also think I need to buy a fan. It's running a bit above 80 right now.

As I am tying this, the tank is in "dusk" and I see my watchman swimming all around- a sight I seldom have seen. Are these guys nocturnal?

Anyone else on my six line plan?

I hate that I always get home after the tank is at dusk... I really want to know how everything is reacting during the day, but I only get to see that on my days off.

supermarvin76

So I was playing around with the MP10 and got a cool wave. Well, not really a wave, but was sure able to get the water rocking back and forth really good.

I think I am going out later today looking for a six line and a chromis....

supermarvin76

Got the coolest fire fish I've ever seen and a little tiny six line. So far the opposite of what I thought would happen is happening. The six line is hiding and is nowhere to be seen, and the fire fish is out and about.

I sure hope I don't regret this..... :unsure:

Also, I am very confident that within a year, maybe two at the most, this tank will be coming down due to a move.... We'll see.

Archived