Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Supermarvin's PicO III

supermarvin76

supermarvin76

Light diatoms appearing on the sand and Nitrate is about 15 this morning.

Any advice as to ordering a CUC? Yay? Nay? Wait another week?

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the modded skimmer churning now. Should I run real wet for a while? I have the venturie open a lot and its making a lot of bubbles, but it's gurgling loud too.

Also, I am starting to see the very beginning of brown diatoms on the sand! Should I look to order a CUC soon?

Lastly, I got the new bio-baffle I had ordered from Chris today. This one is 1" taller and I am now running the water level in my display about 1" from the top. Looks way sweeter than it did 2 hours ago. I'd really like to ditch this cover I have, but it would devastate me if a ittle fishy were to jump out someday- or a kid were to toss a toy in there...

Your skimmer is loud because either there is something entrapped in the airline or your valve is making it loud. You can try turning the valve closed all the way, turn the pump off then turn it back on. Then open the airline up all the way and see if it draws it through. Otherwise, try hooking an air pump up to it to blow the line clear or just used your lips to blow it.

I've run my Aquapod topless since day one and never had a jumper but it isn't rimless so this is new territory for me.

Light diatoms appearing on the sand and Nitrate is about 15 this morning.

Any advice as to ordering a CUC? Yay? Nay? Wait another week?

If you have tested for the entire cycle and your now in the clear, give it a day or two then perform a water change. Then you can start adding cuc and continue on your way. I would never recommend purchasing a full cuc on a new tank as they will likely starve and the last thing you want to do is feed your tank specifically for your cuc. Just go to your LFS and pick up a snail or two, coupled with a crab or two if you want to go that route. Wait until your tank is a little more mature if your going to order a full CUC package.

supermarvin76

Thanks. CUC and Apex is officially both on hold then.

I have however placed an order to filter floss, Chemi Pure Elite, Purigen, and a ground probe.

Thanks. CUC and Apex is officially both on hold then.

I have however placed an order to filter floss, Chemi Pure Elite, Purigen, and a ground probe.

Are you plugged into a GFCI?

supermarvin76

Are you plugged into a GFCI?

I have one sitting on my counter I just haven't installed yet. Why?

I have one sitting on my counter I just haven't installed yet. Why?

I would use an outlet tester to verify your ground is working properly before (and after) installing your GFCI. I assume you are replacing an existing outlet with a GFCI? From what I understand, it may not be the best idea to use a ground probe without a GFCI.

Agreed. No grounding probe with the GFI because the grounding probe is designed to send stray current to your ground and the gfi is designed to trip if it senses current on the ground. So your going to be tripping your GFI often. Why did you hold off on the Apex?

supermarvin76

I would use an outlet tester to verify your ground is working properly before (and after) installing your GFCI. I assume you are replacing an existing outlet with a GFCI? From what I understand, it may not be the best idea to use a ground probe without a GFCI.

Agreed. No grounding probe with the GFI because the grounding probe is designed to send stray current to your ground and the gfi is designed to trip if it senses current on the ground. So your going to be tripping your GFI often. Why did you hold off on the Apex?

So I'm confused. I do, or don't want I use the grounding probe with the GFCI?

If not, there is another outlet near I could run it to instead.

I held off on the Apex because I need to harness up a little more dough. And had to pay some bills. I hate bills.

So I'm confused. I do, or don't want I use the grounding probe with the GFCI?

If not, there is another outlet near I could run it to instead.

I held off on the Apex because I need to harness up a little more dough. And had to pay some bills. I hate bills.

Why do you want to use a grounding probe to begin with? A grounding probe will allow the flow of voltage (current) through the water which is a safety for you if you have your hands in the tank and there is a short in some electrical component in your tank. However this will not trip your breaker until the rated amperage is exceeded (typically 15 or 20 amp) on that circuit. With a GFCI (and no probe) if there is voltage in your tank and you are not properly insulated when you stick your hands in the GFCI will sense the imbalance in the circuit (interruption between the hot/neutral loop because it's now flowing into you and to the ground), the GFCI will trip within a fraction of a second and shut down to protect you.

I'm not actually sure if that would happen unless there is a short or break in some wire insulation inside the tank. In which case, this would be an indicator that something is very wrong and needs fixed.

Please note: I am not an electrician and I could be wrong in my understanding of how these things will truly work. There are many different factors that come into play such as magnetic fields and low voltage currents etc that may or may not be dangerous but would indicate stray voltage in your tank.

Also, if you're working in your tank, just wear rubber soled shoes and avoid touching other electrical components like your light fixture or an outlet or something.

Have you looked at the reef angel controller? I'd say its worth looking at.

Expensive but this looks sweet! Do you have it?

Ahhhhh!!! I have micro bubbles!!!!

haha details? how many - pictures help. has anything changed with your setup - specifically water level? try adjusting the locline return?

supermarvin76

haha details? how many - pictures help. has anything changed with your setup - specifically water level? try adjusting the locline return?

My skimmer is still loud. It loud from the water noise cavatating, but there's very little noise I can tell coming from the airline.

And then I also adjust the water level by loving the skimmer up about an inch, and now... Ahhhhh!!! I have micro bubbles that I can't get rid of!!!!

There's not tons of bubbles, but is still über annoying.

And my skimmer still hasn't skimmed anything out.

Give it time to break in! Also there probably isn't a lot in the tank right now, right?

This.

Also

My skimmer is still loud. It loud from the water noise cavatating, but there's very little noise I can tell coming from the airline.

And then I also adjust the water level by loving the skimmer up about an inch, and now... Ahhhhh!!! I have micro bubbles that I can't get rid of!!!!

There's not tons of bubbles, but is still über annoying.

And my skimmer still hasn't skimmed anything out.

You should love it harder than that.

supermarvin76

This.

Also

You should love it harder than that.

Touché iPhone spell check. It should read, "lowering the water level..."

supermarvin76

So my Friday update is there really isn't much of an update.

I do have my 10 gallon setup down stairs though with a heater, powerhead, and air pump. I do believe I may picking up 2 Percs this weekend and putting in the 10 gallon for a while. I don't know yet. Thoughts?

And, I am hating seeing the Velcro square sticky thing for the MP10 when looking at my tank through the side.

supermarvin76

Let your skimmer break in. Why is it that the cord for the MP10 must go up instead of going down?

I guess only because that's what the instructions say... I am paranoid about it breaking from falling.

Thoughts about getting two Percs to stick in the 10 gallon QT for a few weeks?

I guess only because that's what the say... I am paranoid about it breaking from falling.

Thoughts about getting two Percs to stick in the 10 gallon QT for a few weeks?

if your buying the pair and that's it I'd say Skip the qt

If u add additional fish later qt them. Ick on a new tank is no big deal. Ick on established tank suck

supermarvin76

if your buying the pair and that's it I'd say Skip the qt

If u add additional fish later qt them. Ick on a new tank is no big deal. Ick on established tank suck

I think it's going to be just the pair and a Yellow Watchman.

But I don't know if my display tank is ready yet...

Would they be ok in the QT for 2 weeks? Just 10 minutes ago I bought an AC70 for it too.

I need someone to think for me....

Archived