Innovative Marine Aquariums

Supermarvin's PicO III

supermarvin76

ReefCleaners is a great choice. Most people recommend ordering for a smaller volume tank then you have, the owner of ReefCleaners is notorious for over-fulfilling orders.

For me I got a boat load of dwarf ceriths but everything else was exactly what I ordered. I ordered a smaller package for my Aquapod because I already had several snails in there and my tank was well established. If you have a new tank I wouldn't recommend a full compliment but if you only place a tiny order your savings would be marginal... Unless you don't have any access to CUC locally.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
supermarvin76

I don't know if I am ready for a CUC after only 6 days now. What do you think?

What I do know though is I have isopods! Little ones that look like tiny clear ants, and ones that I thought were flat worms, but I now firmly believe they are sand skaters.

Was looking at your stocking plans. A mandarin needs a minimum 30G tank. This is because they are constant grazers, eating during all waking hours. Even when the fish eats frozen foods they still need to eat constantly and they will wipe out pods in a smaller tank in a day.

supermarvin76

Was looking at your stocking plans. A mandarin needs a minimum 30G tank. This is because they are constant grazers, eating during all waking hours. Even when the fish eats frozen foods they still need to eat constantly and they will wipe out pods in a smaller tank in a day.

I'll cancel the mandarin. Perhaps I'll replace it with a diamond goby. Thoughts on that, or other suggestions?

I'll cancel the mandarin. Perhaps I'll replace it with a diamond goby. Thoughts on that, or other suggestions?

Diamond goby is a no go as well, they need large established tanks.

supermarvin76

Diamond goby is a no go as well, they need large established tanks.

Someone tell me a cool fish that will dig around in the sand please.

supermarvin76

I love that Dracula Goby!

I have been thinking about 2 clowns, the Dracula Goby, and I really, really like the activeness of a silxline, but I am sure people would try to steer me clear.

I am thinking more about filtration too. I think in my media chamber I am going to run Purigen, Chemi Pure Elite, and Chateo at the bottom where the window is for the light. Thoughts on this?

Here are some pics from yesterday morning....

IMG_3638_zpse332d09d.jpg

IMG_3636_zpsb406b6a6.jpg

IMG_3634_zpsde2af0a2.jpg

At 22 gallons you are already over your fish limit with 2 clown fish. (and you still are adding a Gobi) Totally forget about the 6 line. If you are unsure about your fish choices, it helps to read up on requirements especially tank size on websites like liveaquaria.

Honestly the small amount of chaeto isn't going to do much for filtration but it is a good place for pods to inhabit. Also the Dracula goby isn't cheap, they are nice but it's an expensive fish.

supermarvin76

... the Dracula goby isn't cheap, they are nice but it's an expensive fish.

Holy Toledo!!! $129.99!!! Back to the planning table.

supermarvin76

When I put the sand in my tank, I drained half the water first. That was last week. Since then, I have a white line on the back black wall where the water level was when I was adding the sand. I just tried scrubbing it with a magnetic glass cleaner and barely was able to get any off. I am a little frustrated with this...

RideTheLightning

I started planning out a nano reef aquarium about a week ago, and as it turns out your build has a lot of the same components I've chosen. It's awesome to read about how things are working out for you and to see the pics of how things fit together.

Is your tank cover the picO Aquariums mesh cover? If not where did you get it?

Are you planning on running one of the back chambers as a refugium? Is it possible to do this and still have room back there for the protein skimmer, a heater, and some mechanical filtration?

supermarvin76

I started planning out a nano reef aquarium about a week ago, and as it turns out your build has a lot of the same components I've chosen. It's awesome to read about how things are working out for you and to see the pics of how things fit together.

Is your tank cover the picO Aquariums mesh cover? If not where did you get it?

Are you planning on running one of the back chambers as a refugium? Is it possible to do this and still have room back there for the protein skimmer, a heater, and some mechanical filtration?

Whoa!!! You're very first ever post is on my thread!!! For some reason, that's cool to me! Call me a dork, I don't care.

Anyway, yes, the cover is a from PicO Aquariums.

There is enough room in the 'intake" chamber for the Tunze 9002 skimmer I have but haven't put in yet. After that chamber, there is a media rack, which is 3 levels. The very bottom if for maco algae. I think I may out a small piece of chateo back there. Don't really know yet. I don't think I'll really need it as I am going to put the skimmer in AND I plan to do 4 gallon a week water changes, which is 18%.

I have the heater in the return chamber right now with the Tunze Nano ATO. Plenty of room.

I would 100% without a doubt recommend ordering a tank from PicO Aquariums It took a month to get the tank, but Chris is a great person to deal with.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions you have!

Best of luck to you!

RideTheLightning

Thanks!

I'm not certain on all the components yet, but after reading about the AIO's in the size range I'm interested in I'm definitely going to purchase the PicO III. The turn-around-time on the tank isn't a big deal to me as I don't plan on purchasing the equipment for several months.

I'm very interested in how your light system works out for you. I had planned to get the Kessil A150W but it seems like the light you chose gives you a lot more options.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I learn more and follow your build.

supermarvin76

Thanks!

I'm not certain on all the components yet, but after reading about the AIO's in the size range I'm interested in I'm definitely going to purchase the PicO III. The turn-around-time on the tank isn't a big deal to me as I don't plan on purchasing the equipment for several months.

I'm very interested in how your light system works out for you. I had planned to get the Kessil A150W but it seems like the light you chose gives you a lot more options.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I learn more and follow your build.

I can't speak for the Kessil, but I love the options this AI Sol Nano with the controller has.

HEY also has a PicO III and I believe he is using the Kessil.

supermarvin76

Ammonia tested 0 this morning. Is it possible I didn't need a cycle? The rock is out of a 600 gallon system at the LFS which was filled with lots of other rock, corals, and fish. I also used a 20 lbs bag of that Carib-Sea live sand.

Thoughts???

Ammonia tested 0 this morning. Is it possible I didn't need a cycle? The rock is out of a 600 gallon system at the LFS which was filled with lots of other rock, corals, and fish. I also used a 20 lbs bag of that Carib-Sea live sand.

Thoughts???

Very possible. I'd still wait it out for things to come in balance like I'm doing.

supermarvin76

Very possible. I'd still wait it out for things to come in balance like I'm doing.

What exactly does that mean?

And, I am going to try to mod and set up my skimmer later this week. What are thoughts on this?

What exactly does that mean?

And, I am going to try to mod and set up my skimmer later this week. What are thoughts on this?

Your tank like mine is still new and even though it may have completed it's cycle I'd hold out a little big before you start stocking it.

Yep, get the skimmer running. When I resetup my pod, I started the skimmer immediately because the skimmer needs to break in even though some say don't run your skimmer during the cycle. You basically have 2 choices with your shimmer. 1 being wet where you will fill the cup in about 5 days of dark wet material or 2 dry where you will get less in the cup but a very heavy buildup on the surfaces of the cup. I go with the dryer approach.

supermarvin76

Okie dokie. But I need to mod it first. I thought I had all the pieces, but apparently I need a little dab of aquarium sealant to block the two holes inside of it. Is that right? I watched a YouTube video on it and it said to seal a hole, but I see two holes.

Archived