Pod Your Reef

Supermarvin's PicO III

supermarvin76

supermarvin76
If you seed your sandbed and seed the rock with a piece of live, you dont need to add any of that stuff. I used seachem stability after the cycle when i started adding livestock just to ensure that i didnt get any ammonia spikes.

Maybe I'll put in an order to Premium Aquatics for a little live Manado, and order some dry rock too.

What ratio of live to dry should I look to do?

AND... How can I tell the bio load captaincy of the tank?

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'll put in an order to Premium Aquatics for a little live Manado, and order some dry rock too. What ratio of live to dry should I look to do? AND... How can I tell the bio load captaincy of the tank?

You really dont need much at all, you dont even have to keep the seeding rock in there after the cycle you just want to build the bacteria population on the rock. This is why i would say just pick up a small piece from an lfs to seed with then take it out after a month or so, no need to pay the high shipping prices on the lr. Your going to have to get a feel for your bioload, test frequently and it will show you how the tank is handling it. You dont need to overload the tank with rock for filtration, your sandbed and the rock you have will be more than enough.

Remember with dry rock your looking at a 3-4 week cycle minimum.

supermarvin76

I just placed an order for 20 pounds of BRS Reef Saver rock and some epoxy too.

And since I'm not going with live rock, and have a "bunch" of extra money now, I also bought a Hanna Phosphate checker, and a bunch of Salifert test kits. I'll be returning the API test kit to Petsmart this afternoon!

supermarvin76

RODI is up and running now. It is flowing all water into the drain for the recommended 1 hour initial start up.

supermarvin76

ARRRGG!!

I had ordered 20 pounds of Reef Saver from BRS about 5:00 Monday morning and had planned to go to the LFS to pick up about 4-5 lbs of rock from them.

Well, despite being able to add it to my cart, and no notices at all, it is now Tuesday evening, and my order from BRS has yet to ship. Why you wonder? Well, I JUST received a phone call from them telling me they are actually OUT of the rock I had ordered!!! Now what!?!?

I am about THIS CLOSE (image me angrily showing a little space) to just ordering 15 pounds of rock from Premium Aquatics. I emailed them, and while the Manado they have in now is tiny, they did recommend and sent me photos some new rock they don't have on their site yet called South Pacific.

What to do what to do.....

ARRRGG!!

I had ordered 20 pounds of Reef Saver from BRS about 5:00 Monday morning and had planned to go to the LFS to pick up about 4-5 lbs of rock from them.

Well, despite being able to add it to my cart, and no notices at all, it is now Tuesday evening, and my order from BRS has yet to ship. Why you wonder? Well, I JUST received a phone call from them telling me they are actually OUT of the rock I had ordered!!! Now what!?!?

I am about THIS CLOSE (image me angrily showing a little space) to just ordering 15 pounds of rock from Premium Aquatics. I emailed them, and while the Manado they have in now is tiny, they did recommend and sent me photos some new rock they don't have on their site yet called South Pacific.

What to do what to do.....

Let's see those pictures!

Check this out. I plan on doing business with this company after I get my setup running.

Aquascapers

supermarvin76

Aquascapers.com kicks ass, don't hesitate from ordering from them

Holy beans! $39 for shipping! For a little more, and I can get 15 lbs of live South Pacific.

My problem is I have in my head, that since my tank will be here Wednesday / Thursday I want to get water and rock in by Saturday. I suppose there is no reason why I just can't wait to get the dry base rock other than I dont wanna wait any more!

Seriously though, I've never heard of AquaScapers. They're legit? What about problems with phosphate or anything?

Aquascapers.com kicks ass, don't hesitate from ordering from them

It's good to read some feedback about them on here. They seem to have really good prices with a guarantee and reasonable shipping rates.

FishBrawler

huh?

Sorry. Typing on my phone and not proof reading... :slap:

It's all key Largo base rock. It's the same price at either site.

And just as he said. Aquascapers also sells this "key largo" base rock, BUT order from Marco as they have more choices such as prime cut, nano, and just to the pound. Hope that's clear! :D

supermarvin76
UPS says.....

"Scheduled Delivery Updated To Wednesday, 03/20/2013, By End of Day"

And for my rock, I am thinking about just picking some up at a store. I can way too easily talk myself into almost anything by saying, "it's actually just a little more.....".

I can way too easily talk myself into almost anything by saying, "it's actually just a little more.....".

This is exactly how I ended up with a RKL over a simple power strip and a couple of timers. This is also how I ended up with a Kessil and a PicO over an Innovative Marine Nuvo 8. Oh well!

UPS says.....
"Scheduled Delivery Updated To Wednesday, 03/20/2013, By End of Day"
And for my rock, I am thinking about just picking some up at a store. I can way too easily talk myself into almost anything by saying, "it's actually just a little more.....".

Not sure what prices your seeing but what you sent be is ridiculous unless your purchasing prime cherry picked cured rock from their display. Uncured rock should go about $4.99 for Fiji, $5.99 for most others, and $8.99 for that "real reef" aquacultured purple stuff (which I don't like). Sorry for the choppy PM response, I was on my phone at the gym.

supermarvin76

It is here!!!! It is here!!! I'll post pics later.

But, right off the bat I'm thinking about removing the middle media rack and using that space for cheato obviously, but also stuffing a Innovative Marine minimax reactor in there instead. Thoughts?

Archived