Innovative Marine Aquariums

Supermarvin's PicO III

supermarvin76

supermarvin76

Get that skimmer in there, as well as the ATO and post some pics! As for the skimmer, you have to make sure that you reinstall the pump the proper way. The outlet needs to go up inside the baffle with the hole in it, not directly pointing up at the cup. The key to the mod is using the proper airline and a good valve or the mod is useless. In my experience, I've tried 2 different types of airline tubing w/o success. Finally, I used a more rigid tube that came with my RODI unit that had a very, slightly larger diameter. Think about it this way... If you don't have enough airflow your not getting bubbles! You can experiment by blowing air into the tube or connecting it to an air pump.

Then it's all about using a good valve. After all, isn't one of the purposes to more precisely control the amount of bubbles? After researching this mod, I found another user using the following valve so I bought it on Amazon. It is extremely precise for control and is dead silent.

valve_zps0676a038.jpg

Some more notes: Water level is extremely important with an internal skimmer. If you don't maintain your water level at the EXACT consistent level then it will change how your skimmer performs. Also if your water level gets too high (such as sticking your hand in your tank) you will suck water down into your air tubing and stop our bubbles, but this problem goes away if you mod your skimmer. Also note that your skimmer should be mounted so that the water level is about 1/4" BELOW the water level line indicated on the side of the skimmer. The line would indicate the maximum level the water should ever be - as in not to exceed. And finally, don't dose Ca or Alk anywhere near your skimmer. You will build up hardness on the clear elbow connected to the venturi which will reduce the amount of air that can travel through it, hence less bubbles.

Here is a link to my mod experience. And you can see the rest on the next post here.

The flash makes my tank look so dirty! It has since been cleaned up as this is an old pic. NOTE: This is not a PicO, this is the Aquafuge 2 HOB on my Aquapod. I will say this that after I completed the mod and dialed it in where I want I have never had to adjust it again.

20130223_211103_zps9f4a9381.jpg

As for flow, you purchased one of PicO's product tanks from their website, not a custom tank so I would be extremely surprised if you have a chamber not getting proper flow. I am sure this is a tried and true method that Chris uses.

Also, it's great that Chris designs with consideration for the individual user. That being said, the buyer should have a clear conversation with PicO Aquariums about how they intend on using the tank, as well as any upgrades or accessories they plan in the future. This will make sure that Chris designs your tank to accommodate the items.

Thanks! I will be working on the skimmer and what ATO within a week I would guess. I shouldn't skim during the cycle, should I?

Here is what I've been up to since I freaked out last night about the water level:

We went to the container store today. Oh what fun!....Gag me!!! Well, guess what? I found something to buy, and my wife didn't! Muahahahahah!!!! I got these containers to keep all my test kits in:

IMG_0355_zps3e4f81fa.jpg

And then to reward myself for my organizational skills I had to stop by an awesome fish store in Schaumburg and pick up some rock.

IMG_0344_zpsa13cad4d.jpg

IMG_0346_zpsc5ba373d.jpg

IMG_0347_zpsac69c513.jpg

IMG_0350_zps3101ffb7.jpg

This next one was just after I had plopped it all in there. No scaping at all.

IMG_0353_zps9390edd5.jpg

I almost liked it, but I was really trying to go for a minimalistic look. I bought way too much. I have some sitting in the styrofoam container in my basement right now. What should I do with that?

And here is what I ended up with after taking some out and taking a hammer to two of the pieces

IMG_0358_zps054f9b49.jpg

I just added sand, so now it looks like a milkshake. What should I do with the foam that's around the surface now?

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some say don't skim during cycle. I did with no problems. Remember you won't be skimming anything during your break-in period and you still need to dial it in.

Nice score with the rock. I'm assuming it's live rock, right? Just let it dry out and use it in another build. Or setup a small frag tank with it like I'm doing.

Surface foam? I didn't get any in my PicO and I don't remember if I did on other tanks. Put some floss in your overflow and turn on the pump.

supermarvin76
Some say don't skim during cycle. I did with no problems. Remember you won't be skimming anything during your break-in period and you still need to dial it in.

Nice score with the rock. I'm assuming it's live rock, right? Just let it dry out and use it in another build. Or setup a small frag tank with it like I'm doing.

Surface foam? I didn't get any in my PicO and I don't remember if I did on other tanks. Put some floss in your overflow and turn on the pump.

Yes, it's live rock, and for the sand, I used a bag of the CarbiSea Live sand.

A little update today, the tank is clearing up well. I bout some electrical conduit to try to make a thing to hand my light from to get rig of this filmy stock arm. I don't know how we'll this is going to go. I guess I should have mounted the brackets before putting the stand in place and filling then tank. Any idea as to how I could install the U brackets?

Should I run floss, and change it out during the cycle? How often?

What about the sponge?

supermarvin76

?

You gotta ask mstefa, it's from his build. Mine is still sitting inside my stand. Haven't had time to set it up yet.

?

It's the airline for my skimmer. Took it from my RODI unit and it produced more bubbled than a regular airline tube.

Yes, it's live rock, and for the sand, I used a bag of the CarbiSea Live sand. A little update today, the tank is clearing up well. I bout some electrical conduit to try to make a thing to hand my light from to get rig of this filmy stock arm. I don't know how we'll this is going to go. I guess I should have mounted the brackets before putting the stand in place and filling then tank. Any idea as to how I could install the U brackets? Should I run floss, and change it out during the cycle? How often? What about the sponge?

Run floss changing often. That's the purpose of floss to get junk out of your tank. I don't run sponges, can't be cleaned properly.

You get surface foam is you used live sand. I used dry this time around and I rinsed it very thoroughly, zero foam.

I've never had that problem and I've used live sand on 3 different builds.

supermarvin76

I've got Ammonia!!! It Salifert test kit shows it at .25!!! YEA BABY!!! We're on the way!! And I just added a little bit of fish food tank the tank.

However, I could not test Nitrite because our friends at Bulk Reef supply sent me TWO Nitrate test kits instead of a Nitrite and Nitrate! Bastards!!!

IMG_3603_zpsa2709947.jpg

And an updated tank pic.

IMG_3588_zps29587aec.jpg

supermarvin76

You could just get API for nitrite, after the cycle you will never use it again.

I've dispatched an email to BRS and hopefully they'll send me what I actually ordered. I don't want to go buy an API kit for $30; I don't think try sell just the Nitrite kit, I think I'd have to buy the whole kit, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH.

Tell you what, if this were my first order from BRS, chances are I would never ever EVER order from them again. From taking two days to tell me the rock I had placed in my cart and ordered was actually out of stock due to an invintory error, to STILL not being refunded for that after I canceled the rock, to not getting the rest of the order correct. Perhaps because the first order I placed was knocking shy of $600 and this one was a ""mere" $195. I would like to believe this botched order is a rarity, and I will for sure order from them again, but it is still über annoying! -end rant-

On another note, how many pinches of food should I add to start the cycle?

I've dispatched an email to BRS and hopefully they'll send me what I actually ordered. I don't want to go buy an API kit for $30; I don't think try sell just the Nitrite kit, I think I'd have to buy the whole kit, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH.

You don't need the test anyway. Nice to have but can do without.

On another note, how many pinches of food should I add to start the cycle?

What are you planning on feeding? Bacteria? I've only ever used live rock, not dry rock so I can't see the reasoning on adding food or bottled bacteria or the sort. Man up and go live rock already or are you afraid your going to get pinched by the mantis shrimp when your aquascaping? lol

SouthFlorida_Tron

uhghhh... i hate that damn nitrate kit, mine is so hard to read... was so hard to read i took a smple of water to a LFS and they tested with a different kit...

supermarvin76

Man up and go live rock already or are you afraid your going to get pinched by the mantis shrimp when your aquascaping? lol

It's all live rock!

uhghhh... i hate that damn nitrate kit, mine is so hard to read... was so hard to read i took a smple of water to a LFS and they tested with a different kit...

i heard the same thing from a few people, apparently the elos kit is the easiest low range nitrate kit to read.

supermarvin76

I need to get my ATO hooked up!! I have about 1 1/2 cups evaporating per day!

Also, I wonder if I run my light at 100 100 100 if it will kill this suspected apista I see......

supermarvin76

Surely you've already seen this:

I've heard about it, but never saw the video until just now. That is wild! I think I may opt for a slightly less exciting Joe's Juice. Or should I go with Red Sea Apista X?

supermarvin76

Got the Tunze Nano ATO hooked up.

Also, I am not meausuring much ammonia, an Nitrate looks to be about 10 or so, kinda hard to tell, but is is possible that after only 5 days and the lights being on for about 4-5 hours the past 3 days only to begin growing little hairy, crisp looking algae?

i heard the same thing from a few people, apparently the elos kit is the easiest low range nitrate kit to read.

That's the one I use. I would recommend it. Definitely easy to read. Their Ammonia test kit sucks though <_<

Have you though of a CUC yet?

supermarvin76

Have you though of a CUC yet?

I've thought about a CUC, but that's about it. I think I'll order from ReefCleaners. Is that a good place?

I've only had he rock (about 15 lbs live out of LFS display coral system- thought it was kinda cool how they do it there) in the tank for 5 days. Either water parameters aren't doing anything YET, or or they going to? I've added about a dozen pinches of some pellet food the LFS gave me too.

Archived