Pod Your Reef

Supermarvin's PicO III

supermarvin76

supermarvin76

Arg!

I just got the FedEx notification my wet side has been shipped from EcoTech. It's scheduled for delivery on Thursday with "direct signature required". Now what!?!

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have somebody at home sign it or change location of the delivery to work address or something. In store FedEx pickup maybe?

Pretty sure you can contact FedEx and have them leave it with a neighbor or change addresses to work, etc. You might even be able to remove the signature requirement, but that might be something set up by the seller.

Did a water change today. What a PITA!

I need to figure something out. I turned off the ATO, skimmer, and return pump.

Then drain 4-5 gallons from the display.

Then burned some Apista and rinsed those rocks in the waste water bucket

Then added about 4 gallons back directly to the display.

Then plugged everything back in, and ensured the water level was back to where it should be and made minute water adjustments to ensure such.

Then... NO MORE AND THEN!!!

Is it ok to add the water directly to the display?

AND- the two clowns are both chowing down and doing awesome in the QT.

You wouldn't have that problem if you had an Apex.

With an apex (or rkl) you can have it set up to where you push one button and everything will turn off. Makes water changes a little easier.

Midwestclownfish

Am I the only one wondering what these clowns look like? C'mon Brian, get your game together and take some pics!

Does your apex change your water for you?

It could if it to.

All I do is turn on water change on my Apex via my cell phone, siphon the water out, and pump the new water in. Takes minutes and hassle free.

On my new PicO, I don't have an Apex so it's a little more work. Heck, I don't even have switchable outlets so right now I'm unplugging cords which sucks.

It could if it to.

All I do is turn on water change on my Apex via my cell phone, siphon the water out, and pump the new water in. Takes minutes and hassle free.

On my new PicO, I don't have an Apex so it's a little more work. Heck, I don't even have switchable outlets so right now I'm unplugging cords which sucks.

Yeah, tell me about it. Looking into getting a controller to but I'm not sure which one to get..

It could if it to.

I have a reefkeeper but only one PC4 so my plan is to plug all powerheads (maybe 2) and pump into one surge protector and just switch it off for maintenance and feeding. I will probably (likely) get a second pc4 for it eventually though.

If you have the money go Apex imo. Didn't we just have this conversation somewhere? lol

Yes. In every thread, all the time.

Yeah, tell me about it. Looking into getting a controller to but I'm not sure which one to get..

Well considering you got a wireless Vortech I'd suggest an Apex w/ the wxm module

supermarvin76

Just got the wet side from FedEx and the noise is still there. Actually worse. Just dispatched an email to EcoTech, however, they are closed since they are on on East Coast time.

Bummed.

Just got the wet side from FedEx and the noise is still there. Actually worse. Just dispatched an email to EcoTech, however, they are closed since they are on on East Coast time. Bummed.

Sorry man. That's a huge bummer.

Just got the wet side from FedEx and the noise is still there. Actually worse. Just dispatched an email to EcoTech, however, they are closed since they are on on East Coast time. Bummed.

Damn.. Can you record a video so we could hear the noise?

supermarvin76

It's alive! The MP10 is back and fully functional! I just fiddled with it a bit yesterday, and it is purring like a charm with the new wet side from EcoTech. I dunno... I shipped the old wet side back to EcoTech today.

Also, I bought some snails and two hermits today. The snails are about 5-6 Turbos, 4 Certh, and 2 I dunnos.

And then I did a 4 gallon water change on the QT today, and those two clowns in there are lively and happy. I can't wait to get them into the display next week!

That's a lot of turbos! Do you have anything in there for them to eat? They have big appetites and will starve so you may want to supplement.

supermarvin76
That's a lot of turbos! Do you have anything in there for them to eat? They have big appetites and will starve so you may want to supplement.

I was thinking about that on my way home. There sme algae. How many do you think I should have?

supermarvin76
  • Water change- check
  • Purigen and Chemi Pure Elite- check
  • Skimmer skimming- check
  • Fish transfered from QT- check
  • water crystal clear- yeah baby!

How often should I change the Chemi Pure and Purigen?

• Water change- check
  • Purigen and Chemi Pure Elite- check
  • Skimmer skimming- check
  • Fish transfered from QT- check
  • water crystal clear- yeah baby!

How often should I change the Chemi Pure and Purigen?

I think you should throw the chemipure elite into the trash. ;) But that's just my opinion. I've never used purigen but I believe it is supposed to last a while.

supermarvin76

The status of the fish is now unknown... The black ocellaris is doing great. Very active and eating well.

The orange ocellaris however is another story. While it is still active, it is not eating. I feed them garlic treated flakes while in the QT and they both ate well. Now, nada. I just tried with frozen brine and mysis, same deal- doesn't eat it.

The orange ocellaris is active and the black one nips at it sometimes. I wonder if they are pairing up. The orange one comes beside the black one and shakes it's whole body A LOT. If they are pairing up, is it normal to not eat? I am worried about the orange one not eating.

The shaking is normal, that's how they show submission. It's possible they are getting used to the new tank, give the orange time.

Ok Ok.... Here we go.

You may or may not have seen a thread I started a couple weeks ago where I wanted to plan a tank with a budget of about $600 including everything: the tank, stand, RODI, test kits, you name it, I needed it. Well, unfortunately I have little self control when I am not being monitored, and the tank planning is in full swing and the "budget" is blown. Big time.

About 10 years ago I was really getting into tanks, and making all the rookie mistakes. Crushed coral substrate, began with a canister filter and then upgraded to a wet/dry, changed the substrate to sand, added live rock slowly, had shoddy lights, not enough flow. Topped off from a less than suitable water supply.

So here I go with what started as a "$600 budget"...

Currently on order:

What I have:

• PicO III from PicO Aquariums
  • AI Sol Nano
  • Tunze 9002 skimmer
  • Vortec MP10
  • Tunze Nano ATO
  • BRS RODI
  • Refractometer
  • New 29 gallon Bio Cube stand
  • Mr Aqua 18" placement mat- although I think it's a tad too small
  • 160 gallons of salt
  • 50 W Ehiem Jager heater- oops, I think I need the 100W
  • AI Sol controller
  • 20 pounds of Fiji Pink Arag-Alive
  • API test kit Returned to Petsmart
  • 20 gallon Brute can
  • Salifert test kits
  • about 16 lbs live rock

Plan to buy:

• Apex controller
  • 16 pounds Manado rock from Premium Aquatics
  • 10 lbs Reef Saver from BRS and 4-5 lbs of live rock from LFS
  • and the list will grow...

Planned Fish & Inverts:

• Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
  • 1 Tail Spot Blenny
  • 1 Mandarin- I plan to hatch brine shrimp and use a straw to feed him until he condices to frozen food
  • Yellow Watchman
  • 1 Skunk shrimp
  • 1 Fire shrimps
  • 15 hex CUC from Reef Cleaners

Coral Plans / Wishes

• Frogspawn
  • Trumpet
  • Brain
  • Montipora Capricornis
  • Hammer?
  • Bridsnest
  • ??

More Pics on page 4....

March 24, 2013:

IMG_3636_zpsb406b6a6.jpg

March 21, 2013:

IMG_0281_zpsfe83965a.jpg

FTS Feb 25, 2013:

photo-5_zpsda3966b9.jpg

Quick question...did you have any issues mounting your ai sol using the mounting bracket? I read on another thread that it interferes with the media basket in the center chamber. Any feedback would be great! Thanks.

Archived