ReefCleaners.org

Supermarvin's PicO III

supermarvin76

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
supermarvin76
Nice! I want fish :( But I don't want them on my carpet, either

I have one I'd those nets from PicO. I've seen the fire fish jump into it.

supermarvin76

Get the mesh top dude!!

Yeah ! What he said!

Only thing about the top, I wish it was a little better. I think it looks like salvaged acrylic scraps. I would like to see a net that is one piece of acrylic and the "stopper things" black instead of white.

Other than that, the net works great.

supermarvin76

Update-

Ticked ya! There really isn't much of an update. These vermetid are driving me nuts. I am really on the verge of taking all the rock out, and burning them / super gluing them and then re-scaping the tank. Someone talk me into or out of this please...

Also, I am thinking about taking some sand out. I have about 2.5" in there. Some spots is about .5" and some are about 3". Whattaya think?

I have tons of them as well, whenever my hands are in the tank ill smash the tube of any of them that i can get to. Im not sure its worth killing your LR over though lol.

Update- Ticked ya! There really isn't much of an update. These vermetid are driving me nuts. I am really on the verge of taking all the rock out, and burning them / super gluing them and then re-scaping the tank. Someone talk me into or out of this please... Also, I am thinking about taking some sand out. I have about 2.5" in there. Some spots is about .5" and some are about 3". Whattaya think?
You could try putting gel super glue on the end of a toothpick and plug their hole with a clump. Give it a few weeks to make sure they starve, then just break the tube off.

I have tons of them as well, whenever my hands are in the tank ill smash the tube of any of them that i can get to. Im not sure its worth killing your LR over though lol.
Does breaking the tube off even remove them or are they deeper in the rock and they just rebuild it?

Does breaking the tube off even remove them or are they deeper in the rock and they just rebuild it?

To be honest I'm not sure, they really don't bother all that much so I haven't paid much attention. I would think that they are deeper in the rock and smashing the tube probably is just a temp fix.

supermarvin76

You could try putting gel super glue on the end of a toothpick and plug their hole with a clump. Give it a few weeks to make sure they starve, then just break the tube off.

I may try this. Here's a silly question then- can I do this in the tank or do I have to take the rocks out?

supermarvin76

Ok. I am really wanting to redo the rock work in a minimalist fashion like Hey did, but I think I have too much rocks. I really don't want to take any rock out either.

I do have a stick of epoxy though....

I may try this. Here's a silly question then- can I do this in the tank or do I have to take the rocks out?

You can do it in the tank, but superglue starts setting really quickly in saltwater. Make sure you use something that only contains Cyanoacrylate.

Yes, in the tank.

supermarvin76

Now I'm looking at my tank, sand is about 2.5-3".

Should I take about half of that out?

Passaggper

Now I'm looking at my tank, sand is about 2.5-3".

Should I take about half of that out?

Why are you thinking about taking it out?

supermarvin76

Why are you thinking about taking it out?

I'm wondering if it's too deep, or not deep enough.

I'm wondering if it's too deep, or not deep enough.

If it looks good to you it's perfect :) 3" will give you a few more options for sand-dwelling inverts/fish, as well. I would be very nervous about removing sand from an established tank (even though it hasn't been up for months & months) disturbing all the stuff that's settled into the sandbed at once could spike your tank and stress the livestock. If you really want to remove sand, I would start stirring small portions / removing small amounts per day.

supermarvin76

Perhaps I should just leave it. I just would hate to get to a point in a year that it's a problem.

I still really want to make two individual islands by rescaping the rock work though. I dunno....

Passaggper

If it looks good to you it's perfect :) 3" will give you a few more options for sand-dwelling inverts/fish, as well. I would be very nervous about removing sand from an established tank (even though it hasn't been up for months & months) disturbing all the stuff that's settled into the sandbed at once could spike your tank and stress the livestock. If you really want to remove sand, I would start stirring small portions / removing small amounts per day.

I agree completely. I would siphon it out gradually during water changes. I don't think 2.5-3" is too deep. My sandbed is about 1.5" and I'm thinking of adding a little bit.

With your sandbed that deep, do you end up with a lot of sand in the back compartment?

supermarvin76

With your sandbed that deep, do you end up with a lot of sand in the back compartment?

I don't think so. In the 1st chamber, I have the Tunze 9002 skimmer, and actually below that I have some extra rock I put in. Not rubble, but smaller pieces of rock.

supermarvin76

Unless it sells before then, I am planning to pick up a 30 head frogspawn from a local reefer this coming weekend. As I really only want a few show piece corals in my tank instead of a bunch of frags, I'm super stoked, but I'm also worried it may be just too big.

Here is the picture has posted of it:

MARSfrogspawn_zps0352d0fd.jpg

I would meet him about half way, so I would probably be buying this from him in a parking lot or something. We've been messaging back and forth. I hate meeting people to buy stuff.

Any concerns I should have?

......... Other thoughts?

Any concerns I should have?

My frogspawn usually plays very nicely but your concern should be sweeper tentacles. They can be massive. Mine has fried neighboring corals.

supermarvin76

Why am I still getting diatoms on the sand!?!?

I ordered some additional CUC from Reef Cleaners to help with this. No algae or diatoms anywhere, just the sand.

Also, there is a new LFS right down the road from my house! Uh oh! There is a 3 headed duncan and a sweet frogspawn I am thinking about picking up tomorrow.....

supermarvin76

I just rescaped the left side of the tank. I put a rock in the back chamber by the skimmer. The new scape looks very similar, bu there is a lot of open sand on the left side of tank now. I hope to get a baseball sized hammer / frogspawn to put int he sand there. I'll post pics later. It's a super sand storm in there right now.

supermarvin76

Old scape:

IMG_3638_zpse332d09d.jpg

New scape:

IMG_4164_zpsfe5dfccf.jpg

An unexpected plus to the new layout is the watchman goby has a new hole now where I can see him all the time.

I plan to put a baseball sized frogspawn in the large sand are on the left.

Archived