Coral Vue Hydros

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

I'm glad these are doing well for ya

nucleargreen-purpledeath-9-22-new-lights

I can't believe this is Harrys frag! Mine looks like poop

harrypurpleplasma-9-22-new-lights02_zpsa

The crapberry you got for Joe, and the brown stag that should have been blue, are actually coloring up and looking good for me. Im pretty sure those were from Harry. It must be your dirty tank dirtgirl. :D

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimaster1138

I'm glad these are doing well for ya

nucleargreen-purpledeath-9-22-new-lights

I can't believe this is Harrys frag! Mine looks like poop

The nuclear greens reproduce like mad. Where did you get them originally? I finally found a spot for the Purple Death's after a few different tries, they came from Mr. Fox. Your greens look like his Cornbreads, which is why I ask.

Yeah I'm shocked it's colored up. I glued it up almost as high as I could and am blasting it with flow too. It's in the direct line of one of my Vortechs. It seems to like getting blown around. The underside of the branches are still brownish, but the tops are blue/purple with the long green polyps you can see in the photo.

Please ignore the bubble algae. My emeralds are slow :) And one is missing a claw...family fight maybe...

jedimaster1138

The crapberry you got for Joe, and the brown stag that should have been blue, are actually coloring up and looking good for me. Im pretty sure those were from Harry. It must be your dirty tank dirtgirl. :D

Nice. CrapBerry. Good one.

I'm convinced Harry's tanks might have just been dirty or something. The blue stag / tort ? It also looks...blue. And the Slimer is doing quite well.

You need to come by again soon and see the new lights and the woofer! I promise she won't pee on you...OK i don't promise that. LOL

jedimaster1138

The green digitata bloodbath continues. I'm going to wind up with a frag left.

Pulled the whole thing out and dipped it for 30 minutes in CoralRX. Don't have iodine in stock at the moment. Of course I broke it into 19 pieces on the way. Pretty sure I just burned through half a tube of BSI Gel.

I'm not convinced it's the brown jelly...brown jelly doesn't murder death kill montipora digitata...arg.

• 4 weeks later...
jedimaster1138

Yo dawg, I herd you liek mudkipz.... er, that you were looking for a rabbitfish. http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=204792

Word JediBuddy. I'm definitely looking to add another fish or few, and anything that demolishes bubble algae is high on my list. I admit to having been distracted from this lately due to the puppy taking up all my time, but the bubbles remain, and I know I have to deal with them. 2 weeks ago I was able to pull out one small rock (softball sized) and scrap it clean. Unfortunately there's only one other similarly sized rock I can do that too, the rest are cemented structures that probably way 50 lbs and aren't coming out till I move.(which will be the nightmare of nightmares) So I'm looking for a biological solution. At this point if there was a chemical one I'd look into it, despite my disdain for such solutions. Related, I'm considering a Waste Away treatment soon...I'm also noticing the new lights + fall = slimey hairy algae bloom bit lately.

I added more emeralds last week from John. Bless that man. I have seen them eating valonia since then, but with 5 feet of rock... I don't know if they will get it all. I don't think I've ever seen them at the top of my rock structures, and there is indeed some bubbling badness there.

How is your DD rabbit doing with your bubbles? I looked a little into Foxface Lo's and One Spot Foxfaces. Both are appealing to me from a look and "not the typical fish you see in everyone's tank" perspective. I'm just slightly concerned about a fox going nom nom on my LPS. I have too much $ in a few scolys, brains, hammers, clams...I had to explain to Wife recently that a flame angel isn't happening. Heh Have you run into any research on which species from Siganus are most bubble hungry and coral friendly?

There's also the tang option...but I don't think my Hippo will like that too much. Maybe a Ctenochaetus would be OK, if a baby...Zebrasoma's are appealing, but I worry about a Desjardini in a 120g...plus Zebrasoma's with an already skittish Copperband...

Remind me to tell the green chromis story tomorrow. I gotta pass out.

jedimasterben

Word JediBuddy. I'm definitely looking to add another fish or few, and anything that demolishes bubble algae is high on my list. I admit to having been distracted from this lately due to the puppy taking up all my time, but the bubbles remain, and I know I have to deal with them. 2 weeks ago I was able to pull out one small rock (softball sized) and scrap it clean. Unfortunately there's only one other similarly sized rock I can do that too, the rest are cemented structures that probably way 50 lbs and aren't coming out till I move.(which will be the nightmare of nightmares) So I'm looking for a biological solution. At this point if there was a chemical one I'd look into it, despite my disdain for such solutions. Related, I'm considering a Waste Away treatment soon...I'm also noticing the new lights + fall = slimey hairy algae bloom bit lately.

I've used Waste Away before... it was a band-aid, and the issues came right back after the bottle was empty.

I added more emeralds last week from John. Bless that man. I have seen them eating valonia since then, but with 5 feet of rock... I don't know if they will get it all. I don't think I've ever seen them at the top of my rock structures, and there is indeed some bubbling badness there.

From my calculations on the rate that mine were eating it, I would have need around two dozen for them to keep the population where it was, and three dozen to eradicate it.

How is your DD rabbit doing with your bubbles? I looked a little into Foxface Lo's and One Spot Foxfaces. Both are appealing to me from a look and "not the typical fish you see in everyone's tank" perspective. I'm just slightly concerned about a fox going nom nom on my LPS. I have too much $ in a few scolys, brains, hammers, clams...I had to explain to Wife recently that a flame angel isn't happening. Heh Have you run into any research on which species from Siganus are most bubble hungry and coral friendly?

He's nibbled at it here and there, but it's finally settling in to the tank and not viewing me as a threat anymore (unless my hand is in the tank lol). Consequently, at the same time he has also started cruising the tank and eating any and all algaes it could find. It started with my red grape, then moved to my halymenia, then the caulerpa peltata, and now that those are all gone, it's pecking at the rocks. I haven't noticed a sharp decline in bubble algae, but I expect to see it going away rather soon, as voracious as it seems to be.

Pretty much all of the Siganus are mostly safe with corals, and all will snack on any algae they can fit in their mouths. Frankly, I don't think there is enough data on rabbitfish to paint a 'good' picture of them as far as coral snacking goes, as so relatively few people actually have experience with them, and you know how only the squeaky wheel gets the grease ;)

There's also the tang option...but I don't think my Hippo will like that too much. Maybe a Ctenochaetus would be OK, if a baby...Zebrasoma's are appealing, but I worry about a Desjardini in a 120g...plus Zebrasoma's with an already skittish Copperband...

The only tangs that have been reported to eat bubble algae are the Red Sea Desjardini sailfins, and those are hit and miss (mostly miss).

:huh: that's a horrida?

What'd you call me? ;)

jedimaster1138

Awesome horrida man!

:huh: that's a horrida? Can you recommend a good book for SPS identification?

Jedi I got the nuclear greens in a trade 2 years ago.

Thanks. It's doing quite well! *fingers crossed*

Actually I think Buddy is right that it's an Acropora horrida. I know it's an ORA Purple Plasma, but they don't actually name the acropora species for that item and I never knew it or bothered to look it up till now. Going by what I know about A. horrida and some searching, that's probably it. Staghorn, thin branches growing out of a clump...yeah that sounds like a PP. Good call.

I stuck a couple nuclear greens in my nano. I'm hoping the reproduce as well as in my big tank. I recently made a frag that's up to 5+ polyps that I plan on selling to the highest bidder. hehe

I've used Waste Away before... it was a band-aid, and the issues came right back after the bottle was empty.

From my calculations on the rate that mine were eating it, I would have need around two dozen for them to keep the population where it was, and three dozen to eradicate it.

He's nibbled at it here and there, but it's finally settling in to the tank and not viewing me as a threat anymore (unless my hand is in the tank lol). Consequently, at the same time he has also started cruising the tank and eating any and all algaes it could find. It started with my red grape, then moved to my halymenia, then the caulerpa peltata, and now that those are all gone, it's pecking at the rocks. I haven't noticed a sharp decline in bubble algae, but I expect to see it going away rather soon, as voracious as it seems to be.

Pretty much all of the Siganus are mostly safe with corals, and all will snack on any algae they can fit in their mouths. Frankly, I don't think there is enough data on rabbitfish to paint a 'good' picture of them as far as coral snacking goes, as so relatively few people actually have experience with them, and you know how only the squeaky wheel gets the grease ;)

The only tangs that have been reported to eat bubble algae are the Red Sea Desjardini sailfins, and those are hit and miss (mostly miss).

Waste Away worked well for me in the spring when I had that slimy outbreak. It had a definite result in a few days. I think it took 3 or 4 doses over a month and then it was gone. Shrug. All I know for sure is that my PO4 levels were .04 last week and I changed my PhosBlast anyway (sticking to a 6 week schedule ish just to head it off early) Skimming can't get any more aggressive so there's that. The only other things I can do are less than desirable...feed less - result of that will be cranky anthias or water change more - ugh that's a lot of work and my time is limited now.

I'm 100% convinced that algae blooms like this are seasonal, depending on where you live. I've now seen blooms 4 times, all in spring and fall. The change of seasons seems to do something and it's 100% consistent in my case.

This algae dies off overnight when the lights are off. First thing in the morning the tank is nearly clean. By lights out at night, it's all nasty again. I bet 3 days of lights out might kill it, but I'm loathe to do that for fear of pissing off my clams and everything else that's finally growing. Maybe I'll do 24 hours and pray...

I think adding a tang is a bad idea, even though I really want a zebrasoma (probably a yellow) I have a feeling there will be major combat with Big Blue or issues with the CBB who is already skittish around my yellow wrasse and is a very deliberate eater. I have to spelunk some more on who is more effective - Foxface Lo's or One Spots - those are the most appealing to me looks wise and it sounds like the temperament is mild, which is good. If I can get a nice small one from LA or Blue Zoo, that would be ideal. I like small fish that grow as opposed to already larger fish...let's nature take care of the pecking order.

You're 100% right about the squeaky wheel. That goes for everything, especially internet opinions.

Oh. Didn't know it was the purp plazma. If so that'll grow out to be a sweet sweet piece. I just know it's a horrida because my sps nut friend points them out to me when he sees ones. They look so cool as frags but kinda funky as a colony.

jedimaster1138

Yeah I had a purple plasma before I switched tanks and lost half my coral. I bought it local and it was right from ORA, on the ORA plug. It was about 3", straight up, just a skinny trunk, then split off in a cross at the top. It was funky for sure. SPS are nuts like that. They grow weirdly and differently depending on stuff like flow etc. Speaking of, I need to invest in a few tables and/or efflos. I have some perfect spots for them.

Forgot I snapped this last night with my phone. My biggest emerald decided to cruise the front glass. Yeah, he's huge.

IMG_20131023_012011_zps01d86de9.jpg

jedimasterben

Waste Away worked well for me in the spring when I had that slimy outbreak. It had a definite result in a few days. I think it took 3 or 4 doses over a month and then it was gone. Shrug. All I know for sure is that my PO4 levels were .04 last week and I changed my PhosBlast anyway (sticking to a 6 week schedule ish just to head it off early) Skimming can't get any more aggressive so there's that. The only other things I can do are less than desirable...feed less - result of that will be cranky anthias or water change more - ugh that's a lot of work and my time is limited now.

I use Phosguard for phosphate removal. Keeps phosphate at 0.00ppm but doesn't stress corals in doing so.

I'm 100% convinced that algae blooms like this are seasonal, depending on where you live. I've now seen blooms 4 times, all in spring and fall. The change of seasons seems to do something and it's 100% consistent in my case.

More than likely has to do with CO2 concentration in your house.

This algae dies off overnight when the lights are off. First thing in the morning the tank is nearly clean. By lights out at night, it's all nasty again. I bet 3 days of lights out might kill it, but I'm loathe to do that for fear of pissing off my clams and everything else that's finally growing. Maybe I'll do 24 hours and pray...

Hmm. I went through your thread looking for any pics of the slime, but got distracted by banshee's butt, so if you have any do you what post they were in (or post them again)?

Disappearing at night is a very, very bad sign, as it is one of the characteristics of dinoflagellates, and if that is the case, you will never be rid of them. :/

I think adding a tang is a bad idea, even though I really want a zebrasoma (probably a yellow) I have a feeling there will be major combat with Big Blue or issues with the CBB who is already skittish around my yellow wrasse and is a very deliberate eater. I have to spelunk some more on who is more effective - Foxface Lo's or One Spots - those are the most appealing to me looks wise and it sounds like the temperament is mild, which is good. If I can get a nice small one from LA or Blue Zoo, that would be ideal. I like small fish that grow as opposed to already larger fish...let's nature take care of the pecking order.

I'm the same way. I really wish I could have gotten a smaller foxface, this one I have is a massive brute (but still only about half the size I should expect it to get).

jedimaster1138

I use Phosguard for phosphate removal. Keeps phosphate at 0.00ppm but doesn't stress corals in doing so.

More than likely has to do with CO2 concentration in your house.

Hmm. I went through your thread looking for any pics of the slime, but got distracted by banshee's butt, so if you have any do you what post they were in (or post them again)?

Disappearing at night is a very, very bad sign, as it is one of the characteristics of dinoflagellates, and if that is the case, you will never be rid of them. :/

I'm the same way. I really wish I could have gotten a smaller foxface, this one I have is a massive brute (but still only about half the size I should expect it to get).

I stopped using Phosguard during my low pH days and after reading a long Randy Holmes Farley paper proving that Phosguard does indeed leech SOME aluminum into the water column in some cases of very low pH. I just didn't want to risk it. Plus what....95% of people use GFO? Shrug.

I think CO2 has something to do with the algae bloom, but only partially. There's definitely something more to it, more on the biological level, deep down in things related to seasonal changes. I don't have any proof of this, it's just a theory, but as I've seen this before and heard it from other people, where there's smoke, there's something.

The slime isn't dinos, i'm 99.99% sure. My snails eat it, and my understanding of dinos is that snails don't touch them, or if they do, they die more or less right away. Mine munch the stuff down...they just don't eat it fast enough or I need more :) I might be getting more this weekend, I'm on the fence if I want to spend more $ this week.

Also the algae definitely looks plant like. I'm pretty sure I see branchy structure on the bigger spots I haven't scrubbed off. I just wish my hippo was more of a veggie-saur. He's definitely into steak like his owner.

Puppy pictures? Cherry on top.

Sure. Gimme a bit. I have some already in photobucket. She's gotten A LOT bigger. When we got her she was 10 1/2 lbs two days later, 2 weeks ago she was 13 1/2. I'd say now she's 15+

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/hcs3/

A good article on rabbitfish. :)

Good one Ben Kenobi, thanks.

IMG_20131021_221605_zpsef4ef788.jpg

IMG_20131016_221911_zpsfdaec17f.jpg

1383848_10100126444501355_699856060_n_zp

jedimaster1138

Does it make any sense that for the past 2 days when the 6 bulb portion of my T5 fixture turns on, it trips the GFCI that's on the other side of an Apex EB8 and a Belkin surge protector?

I nearly lost everything today when that happened, powering off literally everything ... heat, flow, return, lights...literally everything. If I hadn't noticed that I couldn't reach my Apex from work and ran home I'd have over a dozen dead fish and a couple grand worth of dead coral/clams/etc.

I can't think of another explanation than it's some weird T5 ballast strike thing that's fooling TWO different leviton GFCI receptacles that are 100% wired correctly. I'm almost completely settled on pulling the GFCI and putting in normal Decoras.

Sounds like you need to add another receptacle. Also how much can that GFCI handle before tripping. You might be over the threshold and tripping it.

jedimasterben

I know that they pull a metric ####ton of power for a split second, some power receptacles might not be able to handle the spike (most can, though, so it's weird).

jedimaster1138

I have 2 circuits, a 15 A and a 20 A. Neither is anywhere near more than half loaded, unless the chiller is on, which it hasn't been in nearly a month. Even then it's on the 20 A and it's not near more than half loaded.

The only other thing I can think of is that it's the EB8 itself...or something else on the EB8 (FYI I have 3, and the heavy loads are spread out across them and the 2 circuits.

Even with 6 bulbs alone... that's 6x80w = 480 watts ... 4 Amps. IIRC an Apex outlet is what, 5 A per, 15 for the bar....

I know that they pull a metric ####ton of power for a split second, some power receptacles might not be able to handle the spike (most can, though, so it's weird).

That's what I'm thinking. That the in rush current when the ballast strikes 6 bulbs is as you say, a metric ton, and that's ticking off the GFCI's.

It's against my inner electrical engineer, but I don't know what else to do other than pull the GFCI's and just make sure I don't drop a lightbulb in the water. heh

jedimasterben

When something first powers on, it has a current spike - sometimes an enormous spike. Most receptacles are made to handle that initial spike, since it only lasts milliseconds at the most before going to 'normal' amperage draw, but some cannot.

Try putting it on a different relay.

jedimaster1138

I forget the Apex receptacle business...do I need to put something that pulls that hard (480 watts steady state for just that bit) on a specfic Apex receptacle? The Solid State ones vs the mechanical relays?

My chiller draws 5 1/2 amps normally... which means the inrush is probably double that...yet that's never caused an issue. Course that's also a different EB8.

OK ports 1-3 and ports 5-7 are 5 A and ports 4 and 8 are 10A. I guess I should move the chiller, not that it matters it's been off for a month and isn't at issue here.

Bottom line, the 6 bulb strike shouldn't exceed 5A, that math doesn't compute in the steady state. The inrush is another story but as you said, it shouldn't be a problem..

jedimasterben

Inrush, that's the word I was looking for!

Inrush current is usually several times the normal maximum power draw. For my Meanwell ELN drivers on my old LED array, inrush current for each one was 60 amps. (versus their maximum power draw of 0.54A)

I looked up the specs on the HEP ballasts used in your fixture, each one drives two lamps, but HEP does not give an inrush current value for them.

jedimaster1138

Well let's assume it's a boat load, the inrush. Say in excess of 12 A. But as it's a very short duration and the fuses both in the EB8 and my panel are slow to trip (by design) then...wtf is happening?

GFCI's don't trip based on max current draw or something...they trip based on the balance in the voltages on one side and the other...IE it would be different if there is current flowing through your torso because you dropped the hair dryer in the tub while standing in it.

Arg. I need to figure this out asap.

jedimaster1138

A quick google shows this happens a lot with T5 ballasts. There's some kind of leakage current in some T5 ballasts that exceeds the GFCI trip threshold.

Archived