Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimaster1138

LOL Yes soon. I'll be positioning the new stock from the swap yesterday for a couple nights. Once I'm happy I'll get the camera out.

Speaking of - the biggest of the new wrasses from the day you were over? Already changing to male. Good stuff. The white field of his leopard spots is already a shade of blue. Also all 3 eat like machines too. WOOT Seriously, PEA is awesome at fish. They might just get more fish business from me in the future.

jedimaster1138

Couple shots related to my Dr. Mac order from 2 weeks ago.

They are calling this a "Blood Orange" gorgonian. Photosynthetic, despite that it looks a bit NPS.

PEALateApril2014-1_zps2d067f98.jpg

I also received a trio of female leopard wrasses, Macropharyngodon meleagris. These came from PEA's collection station near Tahiti and were kept there for a while and shown to be eating prepared food before they were even shipped to the US. Then they ate at Mac's headquarters in Maryland as well before being released. Anyway here's a few shots. One has already begun changing to male. As of last night she/he had already lost the white base coloration in exchange for a more blue-ish green one.

They are eating really well - constantly hunting for critters and they devour spirulina brine, mysis, live blackworms...pretty much everything I toss in the tank. They have no issues with aggression by my bigger nuttier fish either, including my huge yellow wrasse who can be a bit ornery, much like the giant arm monster who sticks his tentacles in the tank often.

Leopards are generally a nightmare to feed and are considered extremely difficult to keep. So far, so good. I give ALL credit to Dr. Mac, Alyssa and the rest of the staff for bringing these little guys over in such good shape.

PEA5-1-2014-1-2_zpsdfa50a30.jpg

PEALateApril2014-2_zps6f86ab45.jpg

PEA5-1-2014-1_zps280315bc.jpg

jedimaster1138

Blue/Violet LED only shots. All photos (including the full light above) taken in RAW mode, white balance set in Lightroom. No other post. Canon T4i with 18-135mm EF-S IS STM. Mostly no tripod because I'm a lunatic.

Radioactive Dragon Eyes, Rastas, Blue somethings, Bam Bams and Armor of the God's (or something like that)

zoanthidsactinicLED_zps7e0a0ba1.jpg

Unique Corals Pink something something chalice.

UCpinkbubblegumBLUES_zps3181edfa.jpg

Macro ish shot of the Radioactive's

dragoneyesBLUES_zpsa2e67f86.jpg

Sour Apple palythoas

sourapplesBLUES_zps9a8f4032.jpg

Nice shots !!! Everyone thinks I bailed from NR, but I haven't been posting because I cant post pictures and its driving me nuts !!! It just keeps locking up on me.

jedimasterben

Nice shots !!! Everyone thinks I bailed from NR, but I haven't been posting because I cant post pictures and its driving me nuts !!! It just keeps locking up on me.

What operating system/browser are you trying to upload from? The uploader requires Adobe Flash to be up to date.

im running internet explorer 11, and have adobe flashplayer installed and it still wont work, I cant even "quote" because that doesn't work either. Uploading from Photobucket. Everything works fine over on MR though. color me confused! Thanks for your help.

jedimasterben

im running internet explorer 11, and have adobe flashplayer installed and it still wont work, I cant even "quote" because that doesn't work either. Uploading from Photobucket. Everything works fine over on MR though. color me confused! Thanks for your help.

IE 11 blows donkey balls lol. We have major issues with IE 11 and Flash/Java at work, so we've had to switch all of our student computers (~2000) to Chrome.

jedimaster1138

IE 11 blows donkey balls lol. We have major issues with IE 11 and Flash/Java at work, so we've had to switch all of our student computers (~2000) to Chrome.

Friends don't let friends use IE. Ever. We should seriously just drop CD's of IE on Russia, would solve a lot of problems. It's that bad.

google.com/chrome

or if you have some sort of moral objection to Google

mozilla.org/firefox

Chrome has the advantage of built in Flash that never needs updating. Chrome just works the best, 99.9% of the time.

It's gotten to the point now where I walk around my office and if I see someone using IE for anything but our Sharepoint portal, I rap their knuckles with a ruler like the nuns used to go to me back in the day.

Thanks guys. I try to act pretty smart around here, but as most of you have figured out, I really don't know what the F I'm doing.

• 1 month later...
jedimaster1138

pH problem solved

cyano gone

Now my reef has red bugs! YAY!

SHOOT ME NOW

So what do I get to treat this? Interceptor is gone right? Can I just buy something or what?

Have to treat the whole tank..the corals involved are colonies and they are encrusted to rocks that are as big as I am.

I'm fairly convinced this reef is cursed.

Nano sapiens

'Trials and tribulations'...

Sorry to hear about the Red Bugs. Haven't had 'em in years (knocks on wood).

pH problem solved

cyano gone

SHOOT ME NOW

So what do I get to treat this? Interceptor is gone right? Can I just buy something or what?

Have to treat the whole tank..the corals involved are colonies and they are encrusted to rocks that are as big as I am.

Whoaaaaa baby....you didn't even mention your precious CLAMS!!!!!

The powers that be are making you EARN that reef.

Im sure you can get Interceptor from an online, maybe over seas pharmacy. I checked the one I use but they no have it. Can you see them running around on your acro?

pH problem solved

cyano gone

SHOOT ME NOW

I can come over and perform an exorcism. You can pay me in Penny kisses. Actually I've always wanted to have a puppy for a day. Hint hint.

pH problem solved

cyano gone

This falls right in line with Julian Sprungs statement that low pH causes algae problems.

So how did you fix the pH issue? CO2 scrubber?

jedimaster1138

I can come over and perform an exorcism. You can pay me in Penny kisses. Actually I've always wanted to have a puppy for a day. Hint hint.

Sure. I know exactly what's going to happen. I'm going to get the tank past all these growing pains/disasters - just in time to break it down and move it to the burbs. SIGH

This falls right in line with Julian Sprungs statement that low pH causes algae problems.

So how did you fix the pH issue? CO2 scrubber?

Open window. That's all it needed. The build up of CO2 due to closed windows/doors/lack of ventilation is 100% to blame for the pH issues. And yeah, more CO2 means more food for hungry algae etc. It's pretty irrefutable at this point. If anyone wants to argue those points, I'm happy to show them my reef :)

As much as I dread the thought of breaking down that tank (date TBA...maybe in a year, maybe in 3 years, depends on 100 other variables) having a house where I can properly vent the tank will be lovely. I can't exactly run duct line through 30 feet of living room - dining room to a window in my coop. SIGH

I can't exactly run duct line through 30 feet of living room - dining room to a window in my coop. SIGH

I feel you on this. Perhaps a compromise could be that the tubing is rolled out before you guys go to work or before you sleep at night. So the benefit will be there and at the same time you can't see the tubing because you're not looking at it.

Friends don't let friends use IE. Ever. We should seriously just drop CD's of IE on Russia, would solve a lot of problems. It's that bad.

google.com/chrome

or if you have some sort of moral objection to Google

mozilla.org/firefox

Chrome has the advantage of built in Flash that never needs updating. Chrome just works the best, 99.9% of the time.

It's gotten to the point now where I walk around my office and if I see someone using IE for anything but our Sharepoint portal, I rap their knuckles with a ruler like the nuns used to go to me back in the day.

so much this

Archived