Coral Vue Hydros

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

jedimaster1138

More than 2/3rds of the acropora in my reef are now showing signs of being under attack by red bugs. Some of them were fine 2 days ago and are retracting polyps and growing pale or brown today.

That bloody Australian pet company needs to get the interceptor here faster before I have a lot of bare rock.

Time to rename my reef "The Death Star Reef of Suck".

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More than 2/3rds of the acropora in my reef are now showing signs of being under attack by red bugs. Some of them were fine 2 days ago and are retracting polyps and growing pale or brown today.

That bloody Australian pet company needs to get the interceptor here faster before I have a lot of bare rock.

Time to rename my reef "The Death Star Reef of Suck".

This is sooooo insanely crazy !!!!!!!!!! THis is why I like to only buy from LA or DD or PEA. Ya never know what your gonna catch.

Is that Bayer dip not an option? not sure if i read wether you can dose in the tank...

sorry i try to stay away from sps for now...

jedimaster1138

Is that Bayer dip not an option? not sure if i read wether you can dose in the tank...

sorry i try to stay away from sps for now...

I don't think you can just dump Bayer into a tank...I think it's more of an outside of the tank dip... but someone who knows is welcome to tell me otherwise....

jedimasterben

Bayer would kill the living #### out of everything while interceptor only kills the living #### out of some things.

jedimaster1138

Bayer would kill the living #### out of everything while interceptor only kills the living #### out of some things.

I appreciate the scientific-ness of this reply.

Jedibear, you know how you say every time you post a picture of something, it dies? How about you post a picture of your red bugs?

Oh. And I'm still available to perform an exorcism.

jedimaster1138

Jedibear, you know how you say every time you post a picture of something, it dies? How about you post a picture of your red bugs?

It's true. That really pretty gorgonian a few posts back? dead.

Bugs are dead too. I nuked the tank last night and am currently GAC-ing the Interceptor out. Will repeat twice more in a week, then a week after that.

Picture of the bugs. They are orange, not to be confused with the yellow-ish green polyps of this ORA Bonsai. PS, the bugs ate the entire left side. Mutter.

bonsaibugs_zps79f1faef.jpg

jedimaster1138

So far I've already thrown in the trash -

E-Corals Unknown

Red Dragon

UC Strawberry Shortcake

Something else which I've forgotten

I need to trash, but don't have the heart to dump -

ORA Pearlberry (big frag too)

ORA Hawkins Echinata

Massively prune and pray for -

Green Slimer

ORA Bird of Paradise (yeah, I thought Red Bugs only hit acropoa too)

ORA Green Bird

Pray for recovery because the damage is on the base of -

Tyree Tri-color A. valida

ORA Marshall Islands something something

Cali Tort

Pink Lemonade (I think I see some necrosis but the angle is weird so I can't be sure)

That's what we call a blood bath.

jedimaster1138

Forgot to add to the "uh oh, i see some bad spots somewhere on the flesh" section

Pro Corals Rainbow (which was fine 3 days ago)

ATL Purple Godzilla

ORA Green Planet (also fine 3 days ago)

ORA Blue Voodoo

ORA Purple Plasma

jedimaster1138

Most SPS are STN-ing now. Only a handful are not showing brown algae collecting on their tips. This is just peachy. I just refilled my 2-part bottles...I don't know why I bothered.

jedimaster1138

Coral RX, always. Coral do not enter my tank without a Coral RX bath. I have NO IDEA where the bugs came from. Given the level of damage, I might have had them for a looooooong time and just never thought to look. On the other hand, given how fast things have gone to hell, maybe I only got them recently, which points to the swap when I bought from 3 or 4 vendors. Though I find that hard to believe.

SIGH

I just tossed most of the BoP, all of the Hawkins, and fragged the Slimer a lot.

This is a disaster of biblical proportions. If you havnt seen this tank in person, he has some of the sweetest acro I have ever seen. But Joe will triumph.

Cuz that's what we do.

Ps. Um, are you sure you still want to go in on that acro order this week ? I want to get some clams from the Mac anyway.

I would strongly suggest no more purchases till the tank is sorted out.

And use Bayer for the future.

We were planning an order from Rocky Mountain Frags and I was going to QT them for him, but then Mac got in a clam order and all hell broke loose.

jedimaster1138

Go ahead and order your stuff when you want to, big man. I won't be putting anything else in this tank until the crash is finished. I have no idea when or if that will be, so don't wait around on me. Thanks for the thought though.

It's a mess. I shut off my alkalinity dosing...apparently some people think that dKH > 7 is a bad thing and can lead to what I'm seeing. Maybe the combination of high alkalinity + bugs is frying my SPS? Shrug. I've been running around 8.75 for a while so I'm going to slowly bring it down a little. It's about the only bright idea I have left.

I'm also not paying much attention to the tank to be honest. Family crisis going on that is much higher priority and i'm not home much, so whatever.

jedimaster1138

Just to prove I'm not nuts...

SG = 1.026, Salinity 35 ppt - properly calibrated portable refractometer, ESV salt

PO4 = .09 ppm - Hanna

NO3 = 1-2 ppm - Red Sea

dKH = 7.80 - Hanna

Calcium = 430 ppm - Hanna

Magnesium = 1400 ppm - Red Sea

ESV B-Ionic 2(3) - part via independent dosers and the Apex plus BRS Kalkwasser in an Avast Stirrer on a timer, aka, independent of the ATO

So I'm not crazy. The bugs are dead, but things are still crumbling. Excuse me while I go to bed and not think about anything.

Archived