Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got an insanely cool Super, awesome fix!

With something like that, I'd roll the dice and run it. Will they comp you a free tank? Like you mentioned, just put that fabbed up brace on the new tank.

Big generic companies like that could easily say that because of your "fix" they don't have to honor any warranty because the tank has been modified. Another thing to think about.

jedimaster1138

Unless you have it sitting on a Marineland stand, they probably won't honor the warranty. (that's typically how tank manufacturers do it, anyway, which is retarded)

It is actually. I pony-ed up for the Marineland Montery stand. As stands go, it doesn't look like a typical fish tank stand. I probably shouldn't sing its praises too loudly, for all I know the stand is the cause of this cluster %$

Some good questions there. You'll just have to weigh the pro's and con's and come up with a decision.

Big generic companies like that could easily say that because of your "fix" they don't have to honor any warranty because the tank has been modified. Another thing to think about.

Good points. I honestly have NO idea what to do. All I know is the thought of killing half my livestock makes my stomach turn.

A couple years ago I had this happen on a 55 gallon tank. The center brace snapped clean in half. It was pretty crazy/scary. The glass bowed out and everything. My situation was different though. I bought the tank from a LFS and called them and they replaced it free of charge. I think that its definitely worth a try to call Marineland and see what they are willing to do. I'm sure that with a little persuasion, you could totally get a new tank. Might even get a couple freebies tossed in cuz of the headaches of dealing with this.

jedimaster1138

It's definitely in the tank.

The main left structure. Only a small amount on the sand in front of it, but enough on the rocks to annoy me. It dies off nightly. Definitely cyano, I've been down this round before but in the old tank. Buggers.

Move around the power head to the cyano area. Siphon it up at the next water change. Order CUC and put them on the cyano when they arrive. Consider a 1-2 day black out period just before CUC arrives to beat back the cyano so the CUC can have a jump start on it. Check RODI for TDS.

jedimaster1138

Water change? What's that?

:-)

I'm going to change 10 gallons or so tonight or tomorrow. That amounts to not a lot % wise but that's how much my mixing doodle holds. There's some funk in the bottom of the sump that needs removing too. At the same time I might move the GFO reactor and change the media. It's a week early, but whatever. I'm not going to even bother testing PO4.

I might order the sand for the fuge next week. I need to examine my credit cards. Heh

I might also start doing more water changes. HAH I wish...

I wouldn't even bother with the water change, it won't help rid the cyano at all. That is actually an antiquated thoery. That would be Ike thinking a wc would help reduce coralline algae. The nutrient reduction theory sounds pleasant, but it just doesn't work. How many brand spanking new tanks, even without fish grow cyano? Plenty. You will never get you nutrients low enough to starve cyano. Their requirements are just to minescule. Cyano is a pre historic life form! The best way is to siphon it out every night before the lights go off, and increase flow. Macro helps ALOT but personally I don't care for it.i would never EVER do the 2 days of no light with all those hot clams you have in there.

Ok the movies starting, we're at Devils Due. Hope it's scary!

jedimaster1138

Word.

I only Python-ed out a little bit of water. Probably less than 10g, which doesn't amount to a hill of beans in tank of my size with a beefy sump. It's certainly not going to do much to a nutrient load, as you say.

Tested PO4 and NO3 before the change and saw .07 and 2-3 ppm. So neither was/is high. Not at all surprising. My skimmer is in a constant mode of DOC blitzkrieg and the Phosblast bounces well. My levels could never get lower without starving out my fish, even with daily water changes (hah).

I still might get the refugium going again next week. Can't hurt and has to help the pH issues too. I'm going to do things differently this time though...no chaeto...probably caulerpa, halmeida, gracilia, ulva (mmm tang food)....something.

First I have to get my return pump replaced. Helpful tip for everyone here - do NOT buy a Speedwave DC pump. They generally all fail apparently. The store I bought it at actually went so far as to tell me that even if the mfr warranty replaces it, don't put it in my reef. They are giving me all my $ back and I've had it for 6 months. They are failing so fast tthe servicing company (Proline) has a back order of warranty claims. PS Proline is also Satan. Another reason to avoid Vertex, who might have moved all their manufacturing out of the Royal Exclusiv plant to China. Booooooooooooooooooo

Big bad German pump comes in 2 days. No more failing pump.

Here's a question - are 2x MP40's enough internal flow for a 5 ft long 120g SPS reef? The cyano in my case is on the front face of my tallest rock structure, FWIW.

jedimasterben

Two of them should be good - I've seen 6' 180g tanks rock back and forth with two of them on one of the pulse modes. I ran two on my 80g (48x24x16) and an MP10 on the back, and it was, well, way more than enough.

jedimaster1138

Overnight pH low of 7.78 last night. That's what I get for being home sick yesterday with the windows closed - I guess I should have held my breath. When I got up and took Penny out I left both windows open for 30 minutes - pH jumped from 7.78 to 7.88. Of course I couldn't exactly leave the windows open when I came back in so it dropped back down to 7.84 nearly instantly and has only crept up slowly with the lights on.

There's low pH, then there's low pH. 7.78 is the latter. Probe is calibrated. Actually I have 2 and both show the same bad news.

CO2 scrubber media is spent in hours - not days. I'm about out of ideas. I guess the only remaining fix is re-starting the fuge and lighting it for at least 16 hours a day and hoping the plants slurp out some of the CO2 but I can't see it making a huge difference. I guess every little bit helps. It if smooths out those bottoms then that's a win, small as it may be. I'm pumping a ton of saturated kalkwasser in daily and will hit a limit, based on dKH, pretty soon.

I'm wondering if I should try to be like Kat and instead of putting dry sand and rock in the fuge, fill it with live - straight from the ocean stuff. Hitchhikers scare me though.

Cyano is creeping to the left now. Rommel's watermelon looks about toast.

In better news I got an order from Unique Corals today and the SPS look OUTSTANDING. Fully encrusted frags FTW. Now to hope they live...

I wouldnt go crazy chasing after ph....and zillions of awesome tanks run around the same numbers as yours. I would just uses my kalk, and live with it. Changing the scrubber that often would get me tired in a hurry !!! LEts see some ACRO!!! Check out this bad boy that arrived today from PEA!!!!! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BABYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

blueice_zps196002de.jpg

jedimasterben

Overnight pH low of 7.78 last night. That's what I get for being home sick yesterday with the windows closed - I guess I should have held my breath. When I got up and took Penny out I left both windows open for 30 minutes - pH jumped from 7.78 to 7.88. Of course I couldn't exactly leave the windows open when I came back in so it dropped back down to 7.84 nearly instantly and has only crept up slowly with the lights on.

There's low pH, then there's low pH. 7.78 is the latter. Probe is calibrated. Actually I have 2 and both show the same bad news.

I gotcha beat. 7.62 one night.

CO2 scrubber media is spent in hours - not days. I'm about out of ideas. I guess the only remaining fix is re-starting the fuge and lighting it for at least 16 hours a day and hoping the plants slurp out some of the CO2 but I can't see it making a huge difference. I guess every little bit helps. It if smooths out those bottoms then that's a win, small as it may be. I'm pumping a ton of saturated kalkwasser in daily and will hit a limit, based on dKH, pretty soon.

I would consider doing an algae scrubber instead of a fuge - not only will it use large amounts of CO2 if lit well, but it will also slurp up nitrate like it's candy.

I'm wondering if I should try to be like Kat and instead of putting dry sand and rock in the fuge, fill it with live - straight from the ocean stuff. Hitchhikers scare me though.

Do ittttt. If my luck wasn't the shittiest ever then I'd send you a couple of pieces of the stuff I just got.

I wouldnt go crazy chasing after ph....and zillions of awesome tanks run around the same numbers as yours. I would just uses my kalk, and live with it. Changing the scrubber that often would get me tired in a hurry !!! LEts see some ACRO!!! Check out this bad boy that arrived today from PEA!!!!! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BABYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

blueice_zps196002de.jpg

HOLY

jedimaster1138

blueice_zps196002de.jpg

Can I preorder a frag off that? I'd love to see what it does midway up my tank under my T5's. I've got just to place for it. Jeebus. That's insane. I think that would fall under the description of one of the Ice Fire echinatas.

I gotcha beat. 7.62 one night.

I would consider doing an algae scrubber instead of a fuge - not only will it use large amounts of CO2 if lit well, but it will also slurp up nitrate like it's candy.

Do ittttt. If my luck wasn't the shittiest ever then I'd send you a couple of pieces of the stuff I just got.

It's not even that I'm chasing it...I just don't want it dipping below 7.90. I know sps calcification has been shown to cease around 7.80 so... yeah.

I've love to know what a proper environmental CO2 monitor should say about my apartment. Probably something along the line of "GET OUT NOW". I wonder if it's why my energy level is frequently so lacking.

Gulf Live Rock? I've actually been on their site just now. Prices are reasonable. If I get their live sand too I kill birds with one stone... very tempting. With probably 200 lbs of sand and rock in my DT I should not have to worry about any die off causing ammonia issues...

Some of today's haul. They aren't at all colored up, but PE is lovely.

Maricultued Bali acropora, unknown species. Looks like a slimer or close to it to me. maribali09_zps041511a8.jpg

Left to right... UC Wild Orchid. ORA Green Planet (fully encrusted the stupid ORA plug, which is awesome, UC Strawberry shortcake (looks tick off, typical of an SSC during/after shipping)

wildorchidgpssc10_zps0f218899.jpgb

I haven't been following that closely, before you worry too much about it, when was the last time you calibrated your probe? Something to check if you haven't.

jedimaster1138

Yeah they are calibrated...all 3 of them. This past week I re-calibrated all 3 with the same solution too so as to rule out any funny business. There's a Neptune Lab Grade, a BRS brand Lab Grade and a hand held Hanna. They all agreed at the same time. I've since put the BRS in my kalkwasser reactor to make sure I have enough powder in the stirrer.

with a reasonable amount of +/-.

I've also tested with a chemical test. Agreement all around.

Today's peak pH was 8.10 for about 10 minutes.

I know you don't like hermits but I dont see any snails in that either.

Picture of my biocube before John Maloney's army arrived.IMG_20110906_125817.jpg

CUC will take care of cyano.

Nice haul on the new corals.

My vendor of choice is Gulf Live Rock. Tell Dan that Kat sent you.

Can I preorder a frag off that? I'd love to see what it does midway up my tank under my T5's. I've got just to place for it. Jeebus. That's insane. I think that would fall under the description of one of the Ice Fire echinatas.

Hmmmmm...I'll think about it.

Of course silly !!!! I hope it makes it. Lets keep our fingers crossed. fingerscrossed

Archived