Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

Why not? lol Good meeting up as well. Let's do it again soon. You'll have to play with the little girl.

Speaking of her, here's a story that I'd appreciate hearing people's opinions on. I'm going to just paste what my wife wrote today, it's better written than I could paraphrase. This happened this morning...it was her first vet visit with us, and her first visit to this vet. She went once with the breeder in Jersey.

I'm fairly sure I already know what everyone is going to say. I'm just trying to gauge my level of furious-ness. The "immediately tightened" is more better described as a snap choke hold, which if I performed on say, the vet, would have me arrested for felony assault.

I know of this, and dont believe in it. Dogs learn about the Vet, and they dont like it. A propper veteranarian should attempt to make the experience as pleasant as possible or the dog will quickly learn to hate going there.

That vet is a jerk and if I saw him do that to my dog HE would be the next one in a choke hold. LOL

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimaster1138

Hmmm i would have tried that same method on the good ol' Doc. I bet he would have pee'd on me and ran away too.

That vet story disturbs me. If that were my dog I would not be okay with it. I cannot comment on what your puppy is like obviously but I have grown up with dogs, even had puppies from my dogs and I can tell you that having about 14 dogs in my life and 2 cats, I have seem most kinds of animal behaviors except a pet that was just rabid without a cause. Puppies will be playful and aggressive and do everything naughty till they are taught that it is not okay and channel their energy differently. I would have slapped the vet.

I know of this, and dont believe in it. Dogs learn about the Vet, and they dont like it. A propper veteranarian should attempt to make the experience as pleasant as possible or the dog will quickly learn to hate going there.

That vet is a jerk and if I saw him do that to my dog HE would be the next one in a choke hold. LOL

Well adding you folks into this, it's 100% that this "vet" is nuts. I'm pretty much 100% going to take some sort of action against him, I'm just trying to figure out what agencies regulate this. Looks like it has to be on the state level. I'd prefer to not just sue him, as I don't even know what for yet, but regardless, given that this isn't the first time he's done this to someone, it's got to stop, period. I don't want other people going through what we did yesterday, nor my little woofer. I had trouble sleeping last night and I know the wife couldn't eat at all, she was so disturbed. All I did last night was snuggle Penny to the point of annoying her :-)

I actually had another vet, who is a friend of a friend on FB confirm that his actions were BS. Along with the trainer, everyone else, and a United States Marine who handles combat dogs...yeah. Clearly this is a bad scene.

I felt awful for the assistant/nurse. She was horrified too, but had clearly from the look on her face seen that before. The doc also treated her like crap...he spoke down to her like...I don't even know what. She probably wants to keep her job that pays next to nothing, so she has to tolerate it, but was clearly working in fear. When I get this guy's license and use it as a wee-wee pad, she'll find something better.

PS - that Marine and several of his friends, both of whom look like they eat barbells and are trained to kill people 10000 ways, would like to pay this guy a visit. I like my animal lover friends.

PS - that Marine and several of his friends, both of whom look like they eat barbells and are trained to kill people 10000 ways, would like to pay this guy a visit. I like my animal lover friends.

I think I need their number for emergencies. ;)

jedimaster1138

I think I need their number for emergencies. ;)

Don't we all?

Hey Zeph, where do you take Hershey? Obviously Penny isn't going anywhere NEAR that office again.

jedimaster1138

There was a crocodile loose in my apartment today. No worries. Penny got it.

IMG_20130925_112818_zps70eb5d6b.jpg

That tired her out though.

IMG_20130925_113828_zps8987370f.jpg

Speaking of tired, 2 nights ago she was trying to pick a movie to watch and couldn't choose between The Avengers, any of the Star Wars, or the LOTR (extended, of course). So she went with the best movie of them all:

IMG_20130923_213020_zpsff4266d7.jpg

jedimaster1138

The Jedi Temple has gone T5. Here's some photos with all the bulbs on that I took the other day. Everything hasn't fully adjusted yet, and I'm still tweaking the bulbs, but you get the idea. Lots more color from the SPS already.

Also, interesting bit...I run 2 bulbs for 12 hours, and all 8 bulbs for something like 4 hours (a period which will increase). When the entire fixture is running, pH in the tank ROCKETS up. I've seen larger, faster pH swings with these lights than ever with my Maxspect Razors. Also, pH exceeds 8.2 every day now, and that peak seems to continue to increase daily like a running stock. With the Razors, I never saw 8.1 Interesting stuff. Here's a plot. Note the INSANELY fast ramp up when the 6 bulbs fire. Go go photosynthesis.

T5pHramp_zps7ac6a2a8.jpg

The fixture is an ATI Sunpower 8 bulb. I'm currently using the following bulb arrangement, front to back.

ATI Blue+

ATI Purple+

ATI Blue+ (dawn dusk)

ATI Coral+

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+ (dawn dusk)

ATI True Actinic

ATI Blue+

The ATI True Actinic is mostly there to eat a spot and add a little color. Its actual PAR output isn't much, (compared to the other bulbs) but I didn't want to just leave an empty reflector. I think the 8 bulb fixture is probably slightly overkill for my set up, but I took the position of more is better and easier to lessen. I want to move the Actinic up front to help sparkle my zoanthids and palythoas more. I have to re-arrange in a few weeks.

I was really surprised at how ice white the ATI B+ bulbs are. They are really nice.

I'm eventually going to change the ATI Coral+ for a GE6500k that I already have in the house. I had it in there when I set up the fixture, but it was REALLY bright and I was worried about bleaching stuff. The Coral+ is very powerful as well, but it's just a little less so to the point where it made me less worried about nuking the corals, especially the scoylmia and the other sandbed stuff. I already had to move a decent size red golden eye chalice into the shade. Just a flavor as to the power of the lights - they are still 31" from my sandbed - yes I said nearly 3 feet.

I use an old 24" Ecoxotic blue stunner strip for moonlighting, dimmed all the way down to minimum voltage with their inline manual dimmer. It's double sided taped to the back of ATI fixture. I'm thinking about adding a 48" blue stunner to the front of the fixture in the same fashion, but running it full power during the day for extra deep blue-ness.

Anyway, picture time.

Nuclear Green and Purple Death palythoas:

nucleargreen-purpledeath-9-22-new-lights

Zoas, palys and a couple of silly clownfish:

garden-9-22-new-lights08_zps18012d57.jpg

Snowflake:

snowflake-9-22-new-lights06_zps626749cb.

ORA Green Digitata keeps growing:

greendigi-9-22-new-lights07_zps1818c316.

Ignitus Anthias:

ignitus-anthias-9-22-new-lights04_zps2e9

Evansi Anthias:

evansi-anthias-9-22-new-lights03_zpsd4fa

Tyree Tri-color Valida:

tyree-tricolor-valida-9-22-new-lights01_

Harry's Purple Plasma:harrypurpleplasma-9-22-new-lights02_zpsa

jedimaster1138

The Blue Plus bulbs are ice white? You sure you aren't striking the Coral Plus instead?

That was probably too strong a word...not ice white...but not Windex either. Hard to explain. Hang on, I'll take a few pictures.

Thanks for the info Jedi . Very awesome tank. I like that graph regarding the Ph. I guess that's why it is suggested to run the fuge light contrary to the main lights.

jedimaster1138

Thanks for the info Jedi . Very awesome tank. I like that graph regarding the Ph. I guess that's why it is suggested to run the fuge light contrary to the main lights.

Oh yeah for sure. Running the fuge contrary to the main lights helps balance out the curve some, so it doesn't swing as hard.

In my case, what's so surprising to me is how sharp the pH rises when my lights turn on, as opposed to how sharp it did NOT rise under my old LED's. I can only hypothesize that the old lights weren't stimulating photosynthesis the way these are.

No white balance adjustment at all because I'm lazy.

Some colors are as vibrant just with 2 Blue+ bulbs as with everything else, some aren't. For example reds with with the Blue+...not so much as nice. Purple, OK. Green, yeah intense. Go excitation vs emission spectrums.

Anyway you can see here how intensely bright the Blue+ are. I was surprised tis all.

new-lights-wo-blue-plus-only01_zps0d2479

new-lights-wo-blue-plus-only03_zps1a331a

new-lights-wo-blue-plus-only02_zps2263a4

In my case, what's so surprising to me is how sharp the pH rises when my lights turn on, as opposed to how sharp it did NOT rise under my old LED's. I can only hypothesize that the old lights weren't stimulating photosynthesis the way these are.

Distributed light versus point source is more than likely the reason for that. Much more of the tank is lit, so more microalgaes everyone are stimulated, too, and all of that adds up.

There was a crocodile loose in my apartment today. No worries. Penny got it.

IMG_20130925_112818_zps70eb5d6b.jpg

That tired her out though.

IMG_20130925_113828_zps8987370f.jpg

Speaking of tired, 2 nights ago she was trying to pick a movie to watch and couldn't choose between The Avengers, any of the Star Wars, or the LOTR (extended, of course). So she went with the best movie of them all:

IMG_20130923_213020_zpsff4266d7.jpg

I love it!!!!!!

I dont take Hershey out of the building, He's 16, deaf, and 99% blind. He's still happy and healthy though, and enjoys the big patio off the basement fish room.

jedimaster1138

Anyone ever dealt with Brown Jelly disease? My frogspawn turned brown jelly 2 days ago. I pulled it out, it was done. Then today I get up and see half of my green montipora digitata covered in it and turning brown. I pruned off all the infected branches...what a blood bath. lost half the colony. I'm expecting to lose the rest...

Brown jelly only affects LPS as far as I'm aware. It really sucks. I lost five acan colonies in ONE DAY a while back, and I pretty much lost both of my remaining euphyllias yesterday, one of which is a walling frogspawn and was my first coral I ever purchased. :(

jedimaster1138

That was my understanding of it as well. The only thing I can think of is that the frogspawn was right next to and under the M. Digitata so maybe as it decomposed etc the evil bits flew off onto the branches of the digi.

I have about 7 acans, from 2 heads each to 20. A jason fox hammer, plate, open brain that's the size of a softball, 10+ head blasto (which is the first coral I got) and 2 scolys, one of which you don't want to know how much cost. I'm mostly terrified right now. I'm about to change my carbon, as Zephy suggested.

What exactly is brown jelly? It's not a parasite is it? The only thing I've changed in the tank is the new lights...

It's a bacterial infection. Iodine dips are pretty much the only thing that can help, but only after they've started.... and it still doesn't have a guaranteed success rate :(

jedimaster1138

It's a bacterial infection. Iodine dips are pretty much the only thing that can help, but only after they've started.... and it still doesn't have a guaranteed success rate :(

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. BLAH.

jedimaster1138

Only dip if you see it has spread, and any that you see in the tank, siphon out of it. If it touches another LPS, it will spread it.

Well I hacked half my green digi off, the parts that were dead, which were a lot of them. ARG. That was a lot of coral. It's hard to tell if I got it all because of it's sheer size.

Big batch of new ROX carbon is going.

Seriously I just get everything going smoothly, and the new lights have already had an effect on SPS PE and color, then this. If I lose that whole colony I might just drown myself in the tank.

jedimaster1138

I liked your post after I read the ROX line then unliked it after I read the last one!

lol nice.

I don't think I could fit in it anyway.

Hopefully it was just bad luck based on proximity. I'm keeping all my fingers and flippers crossed.

Really though, things have looked better lately...this better just be a hiccup. If you scroll up to the latest pic of the green digi...cut out 1/2 to 2/3rds of it...that's what's left.

le sigh

PS - today's pH peaked at 8.25. Highest ever in this tank. Higher high nearly every day since the T5's were powered up. I also dropped them 1/2" lower over the tank yesterday.

Archived