Coral Vue Hydros

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

All photosynthetic animals and plants grow best under distributed lighting of lower intensity than under point-source lighting of a higher intensity.

I think I agree with this. However as long as your halides are over 8 inches from the surface distribution will not be a problem, and in my opinion, offer superior lighting. I just have to post a pic of my hoodie.

vtet.jpg

What! Pictures!

ok, tonight, i promise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimaster1138

The Jedi Temple has gone T5. Sorry LED lovers. The Germans are here and they brought their UBER ATI Sunpower and bulbs.

Wunderbar!

Pictures later. Right now, bigger priority - preparation - Wife and I are picking up a PUPPY on Saturday. WOOOOOOOF

OK so I still have a Ecoxotic Stunner Strip for moonlighting. Heh

The Jedi Temple has gone T5. Sorry LED lovers. The Germans are here and they brought their UBER ATI Sunpower and bulbs.

Wunderbar!

Welcome to the bright side.

jedimaster1138

Where are the pictures?!?!?!

Yes...I've been buried in puppy prep. This weekend I hope.

Did somebody say PUPPY? :wub:

I hope so... more on that later...

I'd love to, except I don't want to hack my brand new 700$ light. LOL I might however bolt a longer strip on either end. We shall see. I can't think about it for a while though. Too much going on and my hair is suffering.

Welcome to the bright side.

It's actually almost too bright. Wife nearly murdered me. The lights are very high up now, I started at 12" above the frame. Now I'm 9, plus 2 for the frame. I don't think I can come down at all for at least another week without baking my livestock. Hopefully she doesn't kill me in the interim.

Speaking of, can we meet up tonight so I don't get divorced? We're supposed to get the little woofer tomorrow, which means the floors have to be free of non-chew-able items and I've run out of shelf space. lol I need to make a Rainbow run but that will take 5 minutes, other than that, I'm free other than vacuuming like a banshee. We're driving to Jersey tomorrow morning to get the pooch.

jedimaster1138

Couple pictures of our new English Cream Golden Retriever. She's barely 8 weeks. A little fluffy bear pup. Heh She had no problems with the 1 hour drive from Mordor...er....Jersey. Heh

Her name...Penny. She's blonde and we love Big Bang Theory...so why not?

pennycar_zps71884b18.jpg

She found a nice spot in front of the love seat to sleep/watch TV. So far she's enjoyed a Yankee game, It's Always Sunny and an episode of Angel.

pennysleepyfloor_zpsfe9b3e25.jpg

Not so good cell phone picture of the new fixture. Doesn't do the BLINDLY POWERFUL brightness justice.

T5firstdayphone_zps97eb2841.jpg

Just remember that bright only means that it contains a lot of green ;)

Just remember that bright only means that it contains a lot of green ;)

Not necessarily. T5s bounce a lot more light out of the tank than leds which is one of the reasons they appear brighter. Take a pic from top down and from the front and compare exposure times, then look at the ratio, repeat with leds and you can see for your self.

Not necessarily. T5s bounce a lot more light out of the tank than leds which is one of the reasons they appear brighter. Take a pic from top down and from the front and compare exposure times, then look at the ratio, repeat with leds and you can see for your self.

Of course - but if you look from just the fixture itself, the light coming directly from it is very bright.

Not so good cell phone picture of the new fixture. Doesn't do the BLINDLY POWERFUL brightness justice.

T5firstdayphone_zps97eb2841.jpg

I love it !!! I ran the same thing a while back, you saw the fixture. It was sweet. If my dog was younger we could do dog runs in the park, but my old man just isnt up to that anymore. Can I bring a rabbit to a dog run ???

LOLLLL

NIce seeing you last night, :)

jedimaster1138

I love it !!! I ran the same thing a while back, you saw the fixture. It was sweet. If my dog was younger we could do dog runs in the park, but my old man just isnt up to that anymore. Can I bring a rabbit to a dog run ???

LOLLLL

NIce seeing you last night, :)

Why not? lol Good meeting up as well. Let's do it again soon. You'll have to play with the little girl.

Speaking of her, here's a story that I'd appreciate hearing people's opinions on. I'm going to just paste what my wife wrote today, it's better written than I could paraphrase. This happened this morning...it was her first vet visit with us, and her first visit to this vet. She went once with the breeder in Jersey.

My husband and I recently visited a veterinarian with my new 8 week old Golden Retriever female puppy for a first check up and exam. We were absolutely appalled at a test the vet did to our puppy, I've grown up with similar dogs but this is my first experience being the true owner. Upon meeting her, he put her in his arms (not petting or reassuring her of the safety) and put his folded arm around her neck (like a choke-hold), she held up her paw to his elbow. He proceeded to tell us how "dominant" this behavior was. Then, he immediately tightened his grip around her neck which she absolutely freaked out, peed on him, growled at him and squirmed out of his arms while trying to get away. This shocked both my husband and I and have talked to many people since about this method and validity. He told us we have a very dominant puppy and should have a trainer immediately to which he gave us the number of "his trainer"

It was shocking for many reasons, I'm not a naive person to thinks shes an angel but, she has taken to our lifestyle pretty well. There are a few temperamental puppy behaviors such as nipping that we will address with training, etc. She loves her crate, goes to it willingly, doesn't cry anymore when she's put in it. She's very loving, we can pick her up and move her when we feel like it. there's never been growling and she hasn't barked yet at us.

I just don't understand the validity of this test, i've read many studies of this and it seems to be an outdated practice as well as inconclusive results for long term. Should I trust this doctor, he seems very astute medically but the behavioral techniques and advice he gave us was less positive reinforcement more "repercussions", etc.

I'm fairly sure I already know what everyone is going to say. I'm just trying to gauge my level of furious-ness. The "immediately tightened" is more better described as a snap choke hold, which if I performed on say, the vet, would have me arrested for felony assault.

Why not? lol Good meeting up as well. Let's do it again soon. You'll have to play with the little girl.

Speaking of her, here's a story that I'd appreciate hearing people's opinions on. I'm going to just paste what my wife wrote today, it's better written than I could paraphrase. This happened this morning...it was her first vet visit with us, and her first visit to this vet. She went once with the breeder in Jersey.

I'm fairly sure I already know what everyone is going to say. I'm just trying to gauge my level of furious-ness. The "immediately tightened" is more better described as a snap choke hold, which if I performed on say, the vet, would have me arrested for felony assault.

Hmmm i would have tried that same method on the good ol' Doc. I bet he would have pee'd on me and ran away too.

That vet story disturbs me. If that were my dog I would not be okay with it. I cannot comment on what your puppy is like obviously but I have grown up with dogs, even had puppies from my dogs and I can tell you that having about 14 dogs in my life and 2 cats, I have seem most kinds of animal behaviors except a pet that was just rabid without a cause. Puppies will be playful and aggressive and do everything naughty till they are taught that it is not okay and channel their energy differently. I would have slapped the vet.

Archived