Pod Your Reef

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

Yep, and also public aquariums concentrate much more on the health of the organisms than the look of the tank. You won't see pastel blown out SPS in a public aquarium (for example).

There are...so many...examples that make this statement dumb and false.

Rude.

Just pointing out an obvious logical fallacy.

Many people aren't able to use protein skimmers and have success. But plenty of people do. It doesn't mean protein skimmers suck, it means some people suck at keeping corals.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever considered the possibility that what sucked wasn't the salt, but you?

Again, I will point out that I was simply trying to contribute and be helpful (the effectiveness of which is admittedly debatable) and received nothing but nasty comments in return because I had the gall to question the IO/RC crowd. Seriously, I'm still pretty shocked at the reaction I continue to receive from a fairly harmless comment. Honestly, this is the rudest anyone has been to me on any online forum period, much less on Nano-Reef, which I consider to have a great community.

Just pointing out an obvious logical fallacy.

Many people aren't able to use protein skimmers and have success. But plenty of people do. It doesn't mean protein skimmers suck, it means some people suck at keeping corals.

I, too, combine ad hominem retorts with demonstrative errors in reasoning when I take the moral high ground and use big words in an attempt to look like I'm educated.

I'm also a terrible example of a functionally interactive human being

my name is jazzman7838

Have you ever considered the possibility that what sucked wasn't the salt, but you?

That is one rudest things I have ever heard on Nanoreef...

These type of comments do not belong on this thread.

Were all here for the reason that we love reefing.

Let's see your tank so we can understand what you think sucks and doesn't suck.

Post some pics so we can learn from the master... 18 posts "solid"

Jedibear, I'm not sure what the super was talking about when he says they don't add anything "to the tower" - what does that mean? What tower? The one on the roof of your building? That's not the water we are worried about. You have to call the water supply company that comes into your building - that's the water we want to know about.

Have you considered the possibility that if you have nothing of help to add, you shouldn't add anything at all?

I whip out the bitch quite often BTW, however, vitriolic commentary has no place on this thread. OMG I used a big word.

jedimaster1138

Jedibear, I'm not sure what the super was talking about when he says they don't add anything "to the tower" - what does that mean? What tower? The one on the roof of your building? That's not the water we are worried about. You have to call the water supply company that comes into your building - that's the water we want to know about.

I live in a 19 story high rise. There's a water tower, as there is with most NYC buildings. I wanted confirmation that there wasn't any water treatment happening above and beyond what NYC DEP does to our water supply. I got that confirmation.

NYC does NOT add anything unusual to the water. No chloramines whatsoever. If they did, I'd know it.

At this point I'm virtually certain that it was the salt. ESV finally confirmed today that they were indeed shipping batches with "higher than normal" levels of measured PO4, after a long discussion of how PO4 is measured. Of course they didn't go into extreme detail about exactly how the PO4 levels were so dramatically higher, nor what other contaminants might be floating around in the mix. And as expected they downplayed the effect that a water change using water measuring, in my case, upwards of 0.24 ppm PO4 would have on a reef. I beg to differ with that downplay. Come see my graveyard of coral.

Anyway I tossed 1/3rd of a box of ESV in the trash and I'm now 5 or 6 water changes into the hw-MarineMix Reefer and things look better. I see more PE and color in some SPS than I have in a few weeks. Course I'm still battling various algae outbreaks, which isn't at all surprising as I've been fueling those algaes with extra PO4 for 6 months. I haven't measured PO4 in the reef in a while because I know it's high, and until I started up with the hw-MarineMix, I wasn't able to do much about it, in fact I was making it worse.

Time will tell.

Have you considered the possibility that if you have nothing of help to add, you shouldn't add anything at all?

I whip out the bitch quite often BTW, however, vitriolic commentary has no place on this thread. OMG I used a big word.

I reported this troll last night. Hopefully the ban-hammer has already been swung. No one needs his or her douchebaggery on these forums and I certainly don't want it in my thread, which has enough problems without some ass-hat spewing verbal diarrhea.

Everybody take a step back and relax for a minute. I responded to the extremely unhelpful notion that IO or RC are a bad salt and killing people's corals. That comment alone, taken as truth, could send lots of people running to the store to swap out their perfectly fine salt, possibly doing more damage than doing nothing at all. I think it is reasonable and expected to question people's beliefs when they are based on bad logic.

There is a picture of my tank on the cover of the Mar/Apr 2014 issue of CORAL magazine. A lot of posts on an internet forum doesn't always mean you know what you're talking about, and vice versa.

There is a picture of my tank on the cover of the Mar/Apr 2014 issue of CORAL magazine. A lot of posts on an internet forum doesn't always mean you know what you're talking about, and vice versa.

Gee and all this time I thought I knew what I was talkin' about....

Silly me.

Getting a cover doesn't mean you know what is appropriate to say on a thread either.

I'm just glad your reef is on the mend. Also, I'm genuinely sorry for bringing the flames into your thread - that was not my intention at all.

Gee and all this time I thought I knew what I was talkin' about....

Silly me.

Are you really that bad at reading comprehension? Because that's not what I said at all...

Again, I will point out that I was simply trying to contribute and be helpful (the effectiveness of which is admittedly debatable) and received nothing but nasty comments in return because I had the gall to question the IO/RC crowd. Seriously, I'm still pretty shocked at the reaction I continue to receive from a fairly harmless comment. Honestly, this is the rudest anyone has been to me on any online forum period, much less on Nano-Reef, which I consider to have a great community.

Dude, it has nothing to do with IO/RC and everything to do with the way you reached your conclusion that IO/RC is a "bad salt". Many people, myself included, have closed the life cycle of fish, corals, cephalopods, jellies, etc. using this salt. It's perfectly fine to use. Your comment, though it may seem harmless to you, damages the reputation of a business for no good reason and may cause people to switch salts because they suddenly think they're poisoning their tank. It is just another drop in the bucket of unsubstantiated hearsay that is so prevalent in the forums.

At this point I'm virtually certain that it was the salt. ESV finally confirmed today that they were indeed shipping batches with "higher than normal" levels of measured PO4, after a long discussion of how PO4 is measured. Of course they didn't go into extreme detail about exactly how the PO4 levels were so dramatically higher, nor what other contaminants might be floating around in the mix. And as expected they downplayed the effect that a water change using water measuring, in my case, upwards of 0.24 ppm PO4 would have on a reef. I beg to differ with that downplay. Come see my graveyard of coral.

Anyway I tossed 1/3rd of a box of ESV in the trash and I'm now 5 or 6 water changes into the hw-MarineMix Reefer and things look better. I see more PE and color in some SPS than I have in a few weeks. Course I'm still battling various algae outbreaks, which isn't at all surprising as I've been fueling those algaes with extra PO4 for 6 months. I haven't measured PO4 in the reef in a while because I know it's high, and until I started up with the hw-MarineMix, I wasn't able to do much about it, in fact I was making it worse.

These may be helpful links. I don't think the PO4 in the ESV salt is what is causing your problems.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/159813-skeptical-reefkeeping-ix-test-kits-chasing-numbers-phosphate.html

These reef-tank forums are very polite and sheltered. Frequent the official forums for your favorite sports team, and you see what REAL trolling looks like.

These reef-tank forums are very polite and sheltered. Frequent the official forums for your favorite sports team, and you see what REAL trolling looks like.

Yes! Really amazed how touchy people are in this thread. You are posting on a public Internet forum. Anybody can reply. Nobody "owns" the thread. If you want to control the content, start a blog.

Get a hint yourself! It's a ####ing DISCUSSION forum, and people are discussing. If you don't like it, leave. You're not a moderator, so stop pretending to be one!

Then go discuss on the dedicated "General Discussion" forum.

This thread is in the "Member's Aquariums" forum. If the OP said not to post, don't post. Pretty simple logic IMO.

Regardless,

How's everything looking Jedi?

jedimaster1138

Heh. Yeah I should take a few. Tomorrow when the lights are on. Some things look good. Some don't. I'll see what I can capture. What's interesting is that the colonies that were hardest hit during the summer, then recovered, are the things most hard hit again now.

I measured PO4 tonight for giggles 0.19. So lower than the ESV water was reading in the bucket (0.24 IIRC), which makes sense with the reactor full of Rowaphos and the ~60 gallons of 0 PO4 hw-MarineMix water I've been changing with. I'll definitely do at least 1, hopefully 2 more changes this weekend. in fact that reminds me, I should toss some salt into my bucket o RO/DI, maybe I can change another 10g tomorrow.

Archived