Top Shelf Aquatics

Biocube 14 build.(and so it begins)New pics 2/10/2014 pg9

DVaDeR77

Ammonia is at .25, nitrite at 2 and nitrate at 80. This is how its been the last 2 days. Water still has a cloudy look to it. Not to bad but still there.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm registering a protest on behalf of the lonesome purple rock in your tank. It feels like an outcast, like a freak, set apart from your carefully created artful scape. Not happy. (says the rock)

Rock scape has changed since that last pic purple rock has moved, and still not happy being all alone. LOL.

First day of 0 ammonia. Yay. Now all the cloudyness has gone no brown dusting on any rocks but I have micro bubbles and I'm still only running filter floss. When should I add in my media in the media basket as to fill up my 3rd chamber a little more to get ride of the bubbles. I also ordered Steve's led retro kit with 10 RB 4 NW 4K and 4 CB along with a typhon controller. Should have everything by next week.

Wait a week and do a big water change (get nitrate to 10ppm or less). Then I'd put the media in. After that you could add a few snails. Remember, you have to proceed very slow, because you started with mostly dry rock.

Very nice work so far! i just wanted to comment and tell you my opinion about an auto top off. i thought they were useless until i moved and my tank evaporates water more than it did before. in my opinion an auto top off is one of the things that will keep salinity stable and stability is key in this hobby. I spent $50 on an aqualifter pump and an autotopoff.com float switch with emergency overflow float switch. its one of the cheapest and best investments i have made. i don't have to top off water everyday and it has a float switch to prevent it from overfilling the tank. just my opinion. but i agree with seabass, do a big water change and then go from there. atleast 7-10 gallons.

Cool thanks guys. By the way I check my salinity every day since I started up and its read 1.024, I have yet had to top off with RO water.

I looked into an ATO but since i have the BC14 and i havnt had to add any water from evap i didnt see the point. I spent the money on LEDs instead.

I looked into an ATO but since i have the BC14 and i havnt had to add any water from evap i didnt see the point. I spent the money on LEDs instead.

Ok just keep an eye on your salinity

I think I've come up with stocking list of sorts, obviously its going to be stocked slow but just wanted to list some things I like.

A few snails

Red and blue leg hermits

Emerald crab

Maybe a pom pom crab

Tiger pistol, YWG pair

Black and white clown

Snowflake clown

Zoas

Frogspawn

Scan

Mushroom

Hammer

Now sure what its called but looks like a tree with yellow green like feathers comming out. I know newb....

That's a start of what I like and am thinking.. Tell me what you guys think? Good or bad!!!

When they are smaller, they will eat algae and are good to have around. However, they are opportunistic feeders and become more unpredictable as they get larger. It's debatable if you can consider them "reef safe" as they get older; they might even try to eat small fish.

OK I see your point. What would be a good alternative as I would like a crab other than the pom pom as it won't do what the emerald will.

Looks good!

I would also pass on the emerald.Good luck catching him when he goes rogue.

Get hermit crabs.Emeralds are more for nuisance algaes like gha and bubble.

Nice work on your build so far.

OK I see your point. What would be a good alternative as I would like a crab other than the pom pom as it won't do what the emerald will.

Porcelain crabs, and Sexy shrimp are always interesting additions to smaller tanks. A cleaner shrimp could be fun too. I would probably wait a little longer though before adding these more sensitive inverts.

Stick with the hardy clean-up crew inverts for now, until after you've added your first fish and have had a chance to fine-tune your feeding routine. There is a tendency to overfeed at first, and that can lead to poor water quality, and stress on those inverts I mentioned early.

Edit:

Looking at your stocking list from a few post above I'd add them in this order:

1. Hermits

2. Mushrooms/Zoanthids

Wait a week

3. Clown/Frogspawn (maybe he'll host)

Wait a while

4. Corals as desired

5. YWG/Pistol

Wait a while

6. Lots of sweet inverts

Honestly I like nassirius snails, cerith snails, hermit crabs (i get blue legs), and mexican turbo snails. all serve a purpose and will not endanger your livestock. they work tirelessly to remove detritus, uneaten food, and algae. I like these since they will not destroy the life in your aquarium. The nassirius and cerith snails help stir the sand as well. i like mexican turbos since they are bigger and can consume more than the little turbo snails. I like the hermits since they are opportunistic but they aren't likely going to catch a fish and kill it because they remain small. They will however consume a dead fish and help clean it up before the fish becomes a giant piece of nitrate lol. Emeralds are opportunistic eaters once they get bigger and can catch smaller fish since they can grow bigger than hermits. remember small tanks require small critters. i hope this helps. also a cleaner shrimp or red shrimp wouldn't hurt as well. they are great additions.

If you want a reef safe crab, definitely get a porcelain crab. They're great, similar in shape and size to the emeralds but completely reef safe.

Just a note on the ATO. I also run a 14g biocube and if you keep the feeding slot open you will mabey loose about 1/2 gal (if even) of water per week. When its shut, you loose almost nothing, so no reason to keep an ATO. I keep mine open for heat reasons, but as soon as I get my LED then it will stay shut.

Hello guys,

i m a new beginner for marine tank.can any 1 help me wat all things are needed in settin up a marine tank.

and do we need a skimmer complusory n wave maker.

Archived