Cultivated Reef

Biocube 14 build.(and so it begins)New pics 2/10/2014 pg9

DVaDeR77

Yep its cyano, came home today and its rusty red and hairy. Will be doing another water change and changing out the media. Don't think I'll get out done tonight but deff tomorrow evening and again on wed evening. Should I go lights out the next couple days as well ( will it hurt my live stock).

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shouldn't hurt your livestock to shut down the lights for a couple of days. You can still try to address the cause as the lights are out.

The Cyano seems to be starting on the one piece of live rock that i have singled out. Could i take it out and put it in a bucket of SW and use a power head for water flow and seal it up for a few days.

It probably has more to do with nutrients and organics in the water, or on the rock and sand. I'd leave it in the tank. People often say that improved flow helps; and it can prevent organics from building up in certain areas and may keep them in suspension longer for your filter(s) to remove them.

Without reading through the thread again, do you have a good low range phosphate test kit?

As seabass said I wouldn't try to remove the rock as it's mostly a coincidence it's on a single rock (for now).

I'd do a good hefty water change preceded by removing as much as you can. Then go completely lights out on the tank for min 3 days (I literally made a card board enclosure to block even ambient room light). After 3 days do another good cleaning and water change.

Increase/change flow to eliminate dead/slow flow areas.

i have API (i know i know...CRAP) it reads 0. I tested yesterday Ammonia at .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate about 20, and PH at about 8.2. Salinity is 1.025. that dark brown spot on the rock in the pic about is gone. I had my 425pointing over that space then moved it up a little yesterday morning and last night when i got home the brown was gone but the sand was worse.

Every place it the tank has good flow if not too munch flow had thought about taking out the 425 and putting in a 240. I have right about 10 gallons of water in the tank. Been doing roughly 4 gallon water changes, should i up it to 5 or do it every other day. I did get some carbon and GFO along with some media bags to change out my CPE. would this help or just stick with the CPE.

I agree, you shouldn't be able to detect ammonia. That could be fueling your Cyano issue.

You know, it's so hard to say exactly what's causing the problem, but stick it out. Sure water changes can help to a point. Using a turkey baster and blowing detritus off the rocks and siphoning it off the sand bed can help. Reduced feeding can help. Phosphate reducers can help. If you just can't kick it, ChemiClean should work.

I did get some carbon and GFO along with some media bags to change out my CPE. would this help or just stick with the CPE.

GFO can clump if it isn't tumbled in a reactor. If you are using it in a media bag, I'd mix one part GFO with two parts activated carbon (and pack it tight enough that it won't tumble, or it will be ground to dust). By mixing it, it should help prevent clumping.

This might be a dumb ? but I have some biospira am I able to add that to the new water prior to adding to the tank to add more bacteria to eat the ammonia in the tank. I read that u can use it on water changes. Figure I would ask to be safe.

Yeah, it should be safe to use. However, you shouldn't have to use it. Bacteria should be able to handle the bioload by now.

Some say that introducing more bacteria disrupts the balance (too much leading to die off, leading to more bacteria to handle the die off, leading to more die off, etc). I'm sure that happens at a small level, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

It could also be a false positive from your ammonia test kit. Keep an eye on it, don't over feed, and remove dead/decaying organics from your tank.

Polarcollision

Purigen for phosphate control. Keeps phosphates undetectible in my reef and temperate cubes.

Also, cyano is a biofilm which shelters the bacteria. It can be defeated by breaking it up (I used snails to stir the sand bed) and increasing flow to the areas it develops to reduce available nutrients. Took 3 days and it was gone.

I don't believe that Purigen helps control phosphate.

Purigen is for ammonia, nitrate and nitrites. I run it, and I like it. I've had 0 ANN for every single test, once my cycle was done. I regenerate mine early, since the process is quite easy. I let mine soak in RODI and Seachem Prime for a few days, then swap out for clean RODI water every few days until it is pure white again.

As far as phosphate control, I'm not that impressed w/ Chemipure Elite. Now I run my own bag of carbon and GFO, though I'm using a cubed version of GFO from Brightwell, since it's easier to bag. Likely will move to normal GFO next time though.

Maybe like 2 tablespoons GFO and 4 tablespoons of activated carbon.

That's what I went with to start. To a guess glad it was a good one.

On a side note I took my used bag of CPE and poured it out. I see carbon a lot of it, gfo and all these little beads. Kind of look like fish eggs.20130402_151038_zpsb204e75a.jpg

On a side note I took my used bag of CPE and poured it out. I see carbon a lot of it, gfo and all these little beads. Kid of look like fish eggs.

That's their ion exchange resins. From what I can tell, that's the only thing different that mixing your own GFO and activated carbon. :unsure:

Polarcollision

I don't believe that Purigen helps control phosphate.

Oops! I meant to type ChemiPure, not Purigen, for phosphates. :blush:

I do run purigen in my basket. Filter floss on top then purigen and now carbon and gfo on bottom. We will see how it does.

Well just an update, did water change and sucked out the cyano and scrubbed the LR it was on, light out till about 6 this evening and so far no sign of it anywhere. YAY. Will do another water change tomorrow after work. Everything looks happy will have a FTS tomorrow as well.

As promised here is a full tank shot. Did water water change Friday night at like 12 did test before water change. Ammonia was at .25, nitrite at 0, nitrate at 20, did Alk looks like 9 maybe 10, calcium at 420 440. As of tonight ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. Have not checked any other test.

20130407_215908_zps775f5c16.jpg

BTW - if you go to The Marine Scene, pick up a trochus snail. I have one, and it rules the tank for cleanup. Much better than my slow bulldozer turbo, or my crappy nerites that lay eggs everywhere. Ceriths are ok, but the trochus is fast! Just 1 in a tank our size.

I'm kind of shocked your rocks are so white still. You are only like 2 weeks behind my tank.

Archived