Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Biocube 14 build.(and so it begins)New pics 2/10/2014 pg9

DVaDeR77

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beginning to second guess my rock, thinking I have too much in the tank. I really like the way it looks but is it to much. 20130213_171707_zpsde3edd18.jpg

To me it seems to come up a little too high in the tank. Corals placed on the top rock would be nearly out of the water

If you like it, then it's fine. However, now (before you get any livestock) would be the best time to play around with the placement. Removing a rock will be fine too. Remember, coral often comes on a small rock.

lets say i like this coral but not the rock it came on is there a way to get it off and put it on the rock in the tank. (I know stupid ?) i played around with my scape for like 3 hours before I put the sand and water in id hate to move the bottom layer rock and get sand under it don't want it to fall when to YWG starts to dig. Plus i really like the Lagoon/Cave look.

Some corals are easier than others to remove from a rock or frag plug. Sometimes this just means breaking off excess chucks of the rock that the coral is on. However, it's easy to injure a coral that is already stressed from shipping, so removing it from its rock this isn't always the best thing to do when you are just starting out.

• Like 1

Might be a simple solution to just remove the very top piece of rock.
You would still have the lagoon, cave effect and, IMO, it would look more natural.

That top piece right now looks a little flimsy. Overall, I think it looks great. W-

So I played with my scape and I think I like how it is,at the same time if I decide to take out a rock it will be the top one and use it to seed another tank later on. On a side note, if been checking my salinity all week and it is stable at 1.024. Now I know water evaperates but it hasnt yet in my tank. Why is that?

I have a line about an inch down on the see through, hasn't really moved. Almost bought an ATO but wasn't sure if I should since my salinity has been stable

That's what I thought and why I didn't buy it. Noticed I got some small brown patches starting to form on the piece of live rock I got.

My test last nite were Ammonia .25 Nitrite .25 and Nitrate was 10 to 20. Seems like my ammonia has stalled at .25 been reading like that for 4 days now the other 2 keep coming down. I am using API test kit. There is brown hair like stuff on the piece of live rock and some slight brown coloration on some of the base rock. Sunday will be 14 days in, would it be O.K to add a few snails and maybe a hermit or 2 or am i rushing.

Don't add any livestock until ammonia levels are undetectable.

However, some people have been reporting false trace ammonia readings with API's ammonia test kit. Either get the ammonia level confirmed, or at least test it against RO/DI water. As long as there is ammonia, you should really wait.

OK so I tested the RO water its between 0 and .25. I checked the tank and it now reads ammonia not quite 0 but not .25. Nitrite is 0 and nitrate is between 10 and 20. Rock also has more brown color to it then it did this morning.

That top rock doesn't look very stable. If it isn't you may wanna change the scape again, just to avoid coming home to seeing Nemo's tail twitching beneath a rock.

Its defiantly stable I can press very hard and it won't move an inch, its braced by the back wall and three points on the lower rocks. If water test good Sunday might add a few snails and a hermit or two. Any suggestions on snails they all look the same to me.

Archived