Pod Your Reef

Biocube 14 build.(and so it begins)New pics 2/10/2014 pg9

DVaDeR77

Hello guys, i m a new beginner for marine tank.can any 1 help me wat all things are needed in settin up a marine tank. and do we need a skimmer complusory n wave maker.

That's a big question in someone else's thread. But welcome to Nano-reef.com. A skimmer isn't "required" but good water flow is (but it doesn't have to be a wave maker; it could be a regular powerhead). Start a new thread and we'll see what we can come up with for you. Thanks.
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My house must be dry, while not losing lots of water a day it was noticeable and the salinity was hurting my livestock. My ato for biocube 14 is one of my best buys. The sps look much better with it going - recently I use pickleing lime in vinegar. Has been keeping everything nice and stable.

That porcelain crab is ugly but yet awesome as h***. Found my replacement, thanks guys. I like that stocking order but i was looking at the goby pistol before the clown/clowns only because I'm torn on weather to get one clown or two. So far I have yet to find a nice looking snowflake around here. I'm the kind of person who likes to see livestock in person before I buy it. I really like the black and white but the other half and my little girl like the snowflake as do I. So u see my delima with the clowns.

will be doing my first water change and hopping to get a few hermits and some snail on Sunday. Will be nice to have some life in the tank. Yay!!!!!!!!!! On a side not should have my Leds today if not tomorrow.

Picked up some hermits and some snails today and was given a free Pop Pom crab, he's a tiny little guy and really cool. I'll have some pics up shortly right now I have them floating.

Sorry guys but the poem Pom went into hiding as soon as I put him in the tank and hasn't come out, other critters are a some snails and hermits didn't get a pic though hopefully tonight I can.

Did you get your LEDs in yet? I got mine put in last sat and so far I am really happy with them. I had to order the moonlight fixture from stevesLED as well however because I think the LEDs are to bright even with the dimmer all the way down. I am still waiting on picking up my typhoon controller.

Pom pom crab slowly comming out but not in the open states in the rocks so no pic yet. Went to lfs and picked up 2 ZOA frags and got a free frogspawn. Hope every thing goes ok. Tant seems fine. Here's a FTS.

20130320_192424_zps8a733eec.jpg

Thanks a lot. These things look good under the stock lights, can't wait till I get my LEDs in.

they are definitely going to pop under those LEDs. Good luck and hopefully you will not have any problems.

There are three mushroom looking things on the larger ZOA frag anybody know what they are or did I just answer my own question

I think the mushroom is a Ricordea, and there are 3 of them. What a cool bonus cause I do like them.

Well i Picked up what was going to only be one fish but ended up with 2 small clowns. LFS had buy one get one so of course i couldn't pass it up. ill get a pic or 2 up in a bit. At the same time i got some purple algae growing on my live rock but only on one side and its starting to spread on to the sand . i started another topic but no replies as of yet that was 10 hours ago ill get a pic up of that too ASAP here if any ideas please let me know what it is /good or bad.

Thanks. Pics coming:

2 little fishes
20130324_173446_zpsc7b2ea2a.jpg

Purple Algae
20130322_192949_zpsddc622bc.jpg
20130322_192925_zps9c37d062.jpg

Nice clownfish.

Not so nice Cyanobacteria (or Cyano for short). Do some searches on it; there are lots of threads about it.

Thanks Seabass, Going to suck it out and do a small water change. not sure how i got it tank has lots of flow funny thing is its been there pretty much since i put the live rock in the tank just thought it was purple algae so never bothered with it. so in 5 weeks thats as munch as it grown. so getting rid of ti should be easy I hope. Knock on wood.

Led build is done just need to install in hood and program the typhon. A full write up will come in my led build thread. On a side note I sucked out some of thet cyano and will be doing a water change tomorrow and lights out for a day and see what happens. Wasn't a very bad case good thing I caught it before it got out of hand (thanks seabass) but not out of the wood yet.

I think my tank is going through another cycle tell me what you think, as far as cyano still have a little comment back another water change tonight, also switching out chempure elite for some carbon and gfo 2 separate bags in bottom chamber, good or bad idea. The pic doesn't show the brown on the sand bed all that well but its there.

20130331_201438_zpse88f9417.jpg

20130331_201448_zps9dc677b2.jpg

If the brown areas are crusty (and not slimy), then they are probably diatoms. If you aren't using tap water, diatoms will go away when the silicate is used up. I usually siphon it off the sand and rocks during normal water changes. If it's Cyano, you can still siphon it out.

Archived