inTank Media Baskets

Biocube 14 build.(and so it begins)New pics 2/10/2014 pg9

DVaDeR77

Pure dry rock with only that one piece of live rock. I'll look into that snail you mentioned. Thanks

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of mine was dry. Seeded it for 3 weeks at a friend's tank though. I picked up a few small pieces at Petco, of all the damn places. They actually carry some nice small LR. Some of it is artificial LR.

Came home tonight and noticed my temp went up to 83.5, everyone looks good. Turned on ceiling fan and ac my house was 78 , now I'm noticing small little white bugs on the tank glass( I assume they are pods) I can't get a good pic to blurry. What you guys think.

I haven't really researched them since I had no plans to keep them. How does one get pods having not put any in the tank.

They come on everything. If you didn't dip your coral, there are tons, even on the little tiny frags.

I've been dipping all my new corals in Bayer Complete Insect Killer to make sure I don't get any nasty bugs. This takes out all the beneficials ones too though.

They come on everything. LR, like that one piece you used, chaeto, frags, etc.

Got some new pics and a question. What are the clear spear like things growing.

20130412_175915_zps47bf4eec.jpg

20130412_180237_zps8bef67d3.jpg

And new pics.

20130412_192525_zpseceffe4a.jpg

20130412_192509_zpsed56c672.jpg

20130412_180431_zps0d1eea10.jpg

20130412_192551_zpsc66b4cdf.jpg

My question is how does particulate efficiently get into the return and get filtered out if the powerhead is right in front of it.Yes i know there is one below but it has less suction and flow then the top one does imo.

My question is how does particulate efficiently get into the return and get filtered out if the powerhead is right in front of it.Yes i know there is one below but it has less suction and flow then the top one does imo.

I've always had better filtration and skimming with the powerhead on the other side of the tank more or less circulating more water towards the overflow. With that being said I've seen some amazingly clean and well maintained tanks with this exact set-up pictured above. It just works I guess.

I might just move the power head under the hydro just to see. You do make a good point , as water goes toward the intake the power head pushes it away. So very little skimming occurs. Makes since if you think about it.

I see it setup the same way you have it all the time but it still makes me question the efficiency.If someone has some experimental results with this feel free to let us know.

My tank is a different manufacturer (NanoCube) but same basic design elements. I have found my best performance was when I placed my additional powerhead under the output from the read chambers and angled more downward. This helps to keep things suspended (as they get lower the 2nd powerhead knocks it back into suspension) and helps to push things towards the rear overflow grate. That's how my NC12 has been set-up now for 5 years and it's worked great.

I moved the power head under the return and it seems to be doing all right. My clowns didn't like it since they seem to be hosting my hydro.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just an update, everything has been going good have a rouge hermit has killed 2 snails and a smaller hermit think he might have to go. Zoas are looking good but haven't really seen any growth and my Duncan well that's a different story, has grown a new head and I'm now seeing 5 more smaller ones starting to grow under my bigger head. As far as my clowns I'm now down to one. Came home this evening from work fed the tank some my sis everyone ate very well had to go out just a little while ago and came home to find only one clown in the tank. Open the lid and there he was on the lip of the rim, not sure how he got there but no life left. :( . So I guess I'll be looking for another clown very similar to what I had. Should he/she be the same size or smaller/larger. Oh well what to do,what to do.

Yea I could see if I did something to cause it but can't see how he got on that lip. Bothers me a little bit. How's your tank coming along. Saw that Duncan I one of your pics had to get my self on must say they are really cool coral.

wangspeed

Mine is doing well. Bleached my corals some due to the light though. Have a few pieces of SPS up top. I'm gonna move to a bigger tank this summer. Probably a 75 :) My porcelain crab hangs out in view much more often now, so that's fun. My two scarlet hermits have been perfectly good citizens.

Now Im jealous, that is my next tank after I do some convincing with the wife, love the look of the 75 and a good medium size tank, not to big but not small either. Good luck.

Glad most everything is doing fine. Stinks about the Clownfish.

So I guess I'll be looking for another clown very similar to what I had. Should he/she be the same size or smaller/larger.
I always add the smallest juvenile I can get (he should be of the same species and notably smaller than the existing Clownfish. I've never had a problem with this approach.

Any ideas on what type of clown they are. I was told a normal clown but with marking of a black ice. Problem is the store has no more and wont be getting anymore with that color patern.

Any ideas on what type of clown they are. I was told a normal clown but with marking of a black ice. Problem is the store has no more and wont be getting anymore with that color patern.

To me, they look like a standard True Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula).

20130324_173446_zpsc7b2ea2a.jpg

I was just now looking on liveaquaria and saw that they have them for 24.95. Thanks seabass. Been watchmen your in wall build looking good man, wish I had the space to do something like that.

Archived