Top Shelf Aquatics

Biocube 14 build.(and so it begins)New pics 2/10/2014 pg9

DVaDeR77

Yeah they look like true percs to me as well. They look great and healthy!

Im now only down to one. one i guess wanted out and ended up in the lip of the tank under the lid. How that happened im not sure.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Super CatPig

Yea thats crazy I know they like to jump but I've never heard of that one! I used to find one in the back of my biocube he used to jump over the divider in the back. I put a mesh top on when I upgraded my lights and he never went back there again.. but then he ended up on top of the mesh one day. I've since rethought my rethinking and have every open spot where they can jump out covered.. Or so i think. D:

Picked up a new clown today and must say I'm very happy. The two are getting along very well, to to each other within a matter of seconds. My old clown is now all over the tank and head bobbing and tail twitching which I never saw before. So needless to say I'm much happier with this pair. No pics yet seeing as how I dropped my S3 in salt water last week while doing a water change, waiting on a new phone.

Steensj2004

Love the tank! I also am just starting a BioCube(29), My Diatom bloom has started so its a waiting game still at this point. I also used some dry rock, but more of a ratio of 60/40 live to dry. Jealous of the coral, I hate the cycle period, its been a while since I have had a tank and forgot how it feels like years. Looks like your in VA? Where are you located in relation to Norfolk?

I'm 30 min south of DC so about 1.5 hours from Norfolk. Thanks for the compliment... Yea waiting sucks but the outcome is awesome.

Steensj2004

Cool, I live in Hampton,recently moved here for work. I love your frogspawn, I want one badly. I have only done softie and simple corals in the past.

My new clown is hosting my Duncan but only at night the other clown is hosting my return but during the day they are together swimming around the tank. Added a frag of GSP which had a micro brittle star on it along with some nasties that came of as i dipped it. I think the star survived as i got him really quick as i saw him come off so i hope he makes it cool little guy, also picked up a small two mouth Ric, kind of a violet color with green mouths and orange tips. I placed the Ric on one of my rocks but came down this morning its its floating around the tank with the current, how do i keep it in one place as i read you dont want to glue them. i did how ever move it to a different rock but left for work so i dont know how its doing as of now.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by LFS yesterday to get water for weekly water change and was looking a some rbta that were really nice looking. Saw this small little thing about the size of a quarter and asked what it was. The guy said it was a rbta baby that split from a lager one if you want it I'll let it go for a dollar, hell yea I said. Put it in tank on purple rock and it staid there all last night and all of today up till a few hours ago, now its gone know where to be found. Should I be worried, granted I know it in the tank just don't know where I did move a rock since there is a cave under it but not there. Any way everything else in tank is doing great zoas look good but I don't see any growth, frogspawn look like its getting bigger and my Duncan well I started with one head then another started now I've got nine more heads started to grow all at once for a total of 11 heads. Thanks for following along.

It's hard to say if it will OK. It decided to move, which could mean that it's under or behind a rock, or could mean that it released and got sucked into a power head or the back chambers. If it just moved, it might move again on its own.

Having clownfish, if they decide to try and make it a host, they might be too big/disruptive for it. Hopefully it will move to a spot where you can see it, and your fish will leave it alone until it's big enough to be a host.

The clowns never got close to it, they stay middle to top of tank. Not in rear chambers as I looked last night and I did move some rocks but no luck. Oh well he's in there so I hope he comes out.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update I was cleaning my glass a nudged a small rock a little bit where my frogspawn is and it shifted a little bit( both the frog and the rock) the frog closed up and what do you know found my little RBTA ( been MIA for about three weeks now) taking shelter under the frog. Now the frog does close up at night but because of how it was positioned the bta was not noticeable. Its alive and looks good, went to take a pic a little bit ago and it done creaped in to a hole so I hope it comes out tomorrow so I can get a pic. Tank is doing good debating on a new fish either a royal gramma or a green clown goby and possible moving up to a 30 long I have laying around. Still looking into that.

• 3 weeks later...
Steensj2004

My Duncans are my favorite coral I have! Looks like I have the same ones! Mine is throwing out new heads like a coral possed,haha

post-79843-0-47908600-1373549809_thumb.jpg

Great tank. I'm also setting up a 14g biocube. I live in the NOVA area too and was wondering if you knew any good LFS?

There are a lot of really good LFS in this area. My favorite for livestock so far has been "The Marine Scene" in Herndon. There are a lot of other good places too though, like Aquatic Obsession (great deals), Blue Ribbon Koi, Incredible Corals, and the new Quantum Reefs.

Live blackworms are available at Centreville Aquarium, for difficult to feed fish.

Very fortunate around here.

Hey DVader your tank is looking great!

I got the Steve's LED kit around the same time as you did and I just have a quick question. What % do you run them at on full on? After installing my kit I slowly increased the light over a span of almost 2 months but it seems like my corals have not been happy since the change. I am not sure if I am using to much light or to little. Some corals have bleached, some have outright died. Only my Duncan and GSP have shown growth over the past 3 months.

Any tips you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks Fross

I started my lights at about 20% for a week and then went up 1% a day from there. I have my lights at 55% RB 45% NW/OCW. That where I leave them everything seems happy so far no problems. Fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...

Just an update with some new pics and progress.

A few months ago.

20130412_180511_zps08a53248.jpg

And now mad growth especially my Duncan started as one head now has almost 28.

IMAG0381_zps4e2460dc.jpg

Not the greatest pics but pics none the less. Here is one of my rbta.

IMAG0484_zps3cb843ca.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived