Coral Vue Hydros

40B Box O' Rocks

Acielot

I have a ricordea and a fungia on hold at the LFS. The ricordea is a gorgeous dark blue with orange/yellow/green spots under actinic leds. And the fungia is a simple brown one of a pretty good size. I figured since my last fungia was an attempted rescue that I would get a larger healthy one this time.

The ricordea on hold is similar to the one below.

252893.jpg

Awesome man!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome man!

Yeah it changed a bit from being under the leds to T5. It has adopted a more pinkish hue. I'll have pics tomorrow of it since I haven't been able to take any photos of the tank during the day.

d'Espresso

sweet deal mang! glad you can pick up a 40B tank. i need to hit up petco also too but instead i went another route and get a custom rimless 40b from Ocean blue Aquarium. It gonna take 5 weeks to make one.

Well, can't wait to see picture of your new setup soon.

sweet deal mang! glad you can pick up a 40B tank. i need to hit up petco also too but instead i went another route and get a custom rimless 40b from Ocean blue Aquarium. It gonna take 5 weeks to make one.

You can always get a 40b sump! ;) A rimless tank sounds sweet but maybe in the future.

I didn't realize that you were in Orlando. I have never heard of Ocean Blue Aquarium only Top Shelf Aquatics and Oceans Direct. I'll have to stop by.

Well, can't wait to see picture of your new setup soon.

I can't either. I sorta want to do an LPS/Zoa dominated reef with a few varieties of monitpora and potentially some acros or torts. But it will be slow going until I get everything together. :closedeyes:

d'Espresso

You can always get a 40b sump! ;) A rimless tank sounds sweet but maybe in the future.

I didn't realize that you were in Orlando. I have never heard of Ocean Blue Aquarium only Top Shelf Aquatics and Oceans Direct. I'll have to stop by.

I can't either. I sorta want to do an LPS/Zoa dominated reef with a few varieties of monitpora and potentially some acros or torts. But it will be slow going until I get everything together. :closedeyes:

Yes i stayed near orlando though but very close to Top Shelf Aquatics (shop there all the time) Never shop at Oceans Direct because just a waste of time with no corals. Ocean blue Aquarium is right down the road from Top Shelf Aquatics and that's where i order my new Sleek OBA Rimless tank from and also love going to Sea in the City (downtown orlando) it's a Woman shop. Very nice selections and catch on their sales!

My petco skimmer cup. Its actually doing much better than I expected it to. This was within 1 day of setting it up. Now it pulls about a 1/4 cup of coffee colored skim mate each day.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN0974_zpsc2525682.jpg.html'>DSCN0974_zpsc2525682.jpg

Here is the ricordea. Notice that it is predominately pink now <_< And the caluerpa in this photo has taken off.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN0977_zpsf4cb7f77.jpg.html'>DSCN0977_zpsf4cb7f77.jpg

A bad picture but here is before it acclimated to the tank. It was still mostly blue.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN0930_zps4bada37c.jpg.html'>DSCN0930_zps4bada37c.jpg

And the vivarium. It's ready for frogs but I think I'll let everything grow in before I start adding anything alive.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN0929_zps80349184.jpg.html'>DSCN0929_zps80349184.jpg

Sounds like I should be getting my BTA and mystery zoas this Wednesday. I wanted to add 2 lettuce nudibranchs so hopefully Reefs2Go gets in contact with me before it ships out. fingerscrossed

Coral Update: I finally bit the bullet and cleaned up my torch colony. It had 6 or 8 heads, depending on what you consider a new head, when I bought it but over time some bryopsis like algae had been eating away at the polyps. No matter how many dips and toothbrushings I did the algae just came back. I tried fragging it awhile back to save a head that was not infected and it shattered. This time the surviving heads had grown a bit and I was able to dremel them off the main colony without harm. I also dremeled away the thin outer layer of the skeleton where the bryopsis had gained a foothold. They look like brand new corals and I haven't seen the polyps with this kind of extension since right before the algae took hold. Hopefully they can stay symptom free until the 40 gets setup.

llama roadkill

1. White Banded Possum Wrasse
  2. Pipefish
  3. Lyretail Anthias
  4. and maybe a mandarin goby (depending on how my pod population looks)

1. Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  2. Red Tile Starfish
  3. Standard CUC

Any suggestions or experiences welcome.

Why a Pipefish? I read they should really only be kept in a species only tank or with seahorses and mandarins. The are not very fast so they can't keep up with competitive feeders and don't usually like the high flow that is nessecary in a reef.

Why a Pipefish? I read they should really only be kept in a species only tank or with seahorses and mandarins. The are not very fast so they can't keep up with competitive feeders and don't usually like the high flow that is nessecary in a reef.

That stocking list has since been ditched but the plan was to have a peaceful reef setup (mandarin, pipefish, possum wrasse). There was to be gorgs and macro algae galore but that was when the tank was also still planned to be a 50g. It would have technically been a species tank at the time.

Now I have changed the stocking plan to be closer to a reef found on the space coast of Florida called Bathtub reef. Hence the name Bathtub Lagoon. Only the corals and such will be limited to the Florida theme. The fish stocking will probably only be the 2 clowns and a mandarin.

I just got tracking info from Reefs2Go about my BTA and Zoas. They should be here tomorrow morning :happydance:

Unfortunately I didn't get into contact with them in time and I wasn't able to add my lettuce nudibranch Oh well looks like I have some manual work to get my rocks clean.

The package is only 3lbs? :huh: I would have thought that they weigh a bit more than that once packaged.

Just finished acclimating the BTA and Zoas. They look great. I'll get pics once the BTA inflates and when the zoas open

Well the zoas haven't opened yet and the BTA decided to wander into my Kenya tree Rock. I don't know if the Kenya Tree cares or not yet because they are still perky and open. The BTA on the other hand keeps inflating and deflating its bubbles. It has only moved about 4"-5" from where I originally placed it and it has expanded back to its full size I imagine, roughly 3" in diameter.

The best news! My last BTA didn't last this long so it's a new personal best.

The BTA decided to hide on the backside of my rockwork underneath a zoa colony. I moved the colony so now I'll see if the anemone moves again. It looks like it is happy where it is at the moment.

Mystery zoas have almost opened up. I can't wait to see what color they are. I'll guess mottled blue/white since there is a bit of that hue on the polyps.

Build Update: The due date for this tank getting wet is between February 21st and April 25th. I just want to have all the equipment that I can possibly want before the tank gets setup so that I do not have to play catch up like I am now with the 20 gallon. It will be roughly $2500 worth of sexy before it even gets stocked. That's the lights, refugium and sump along with the overflow supplies, a RO/DI filter, a skimmer and GFO reactor, a second mp10, and finally 30-50lbs of uncured Gulfliverock. As well as the other odds and ends that should be included.

NEW FTS:

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN1033_zpscaedf70a.jpg.html'>DSCN1033_zpscaedf70a.jpg

Yeah I will be like this until January February-ish. The black was just a test patch. The entire inside will be either black or white and the outside will be stained ebony. That isn't the sump that I'll be using though. That one will be sold and everything in the 20 now will be put into a holding tank so that I can turn it into a sump/refugium. Then I'll add the fish back.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN1063_zps0add031b.jpg.html'>DSCN1063_zps0add031b.jpg

My baby girl Florence :wub: . I think she is ready to start making some baby clowns, Pierce however doesn't seem old enough yet he is only 7months old. :closedeyes:

Alright the close-to-final fish stocking plans for the 40:

1. McCoskers Flasher Wrasse* (pending availability)
  2. White Banded Possum Wrasse*
  3. Mandarin Goby
  4. Coral Beauty / Flame Angel / Cherub Angel
  5. The current pair of clowns

*Any idea if the two wrasse will conflict with each other? They don't necessarily have the same form or color.

My sister got her Pico tank back up and running so I gave her quite a few of my zoanthids in hopes that they will begin to recover as well as the ricordea and my last head of torch coral. Needless to say that the tank is looking rather bare at the moment. I may think about breaking the tank down to a BB 10 gallon until the upgrade.

I got some starlet coral and some hidden cup coral frags from a friend who didn't want them. They were HH coral and instead of killing them I picked them up. The starlet coral was a really dark brown and the cup coral are also a dark tan with great polyp extension. Hopefully they do well because they were chipped off of his rock. The starlet came off as a single colony but the cup coral broke into 3 pieces so I lost a head. Pics when they open up again. :)

I also went to the beach and picked up a bunch of new macro algae that were washing up on the shore. Some bubble caluerpa, red grape caluerpa?, and some other macro with names that escape me at the moment. I cannot seem to remember. I also got some cool tunicates and red sponges on the macro as well so the biodiversity has greatly increased in a short time. hopefully everything spreads.

Oh and they are carribean/Floridian so they fit the bathtub lagoon profile perfectly.

Starlet coral

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/fbb6266e-ba1e-4a92-865f-1d7ab543922e_zps660a1bda.jpg.html'>fbb6266e-ba1e-4a92-865f-1d7ab543922e_zps

Hidden cup coral piece that broke. I attached them together again on an epoxy frag plug. They are usually perkier than this but I turned the flow off to take the pic and they shriveled up.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN1103_zpsb779247e.jpg.html'>DSCN1103_zpsb779247e.jpg

The starlet coral. Any clues as to its health? I have been researching them a bit and supposedly they open their polyps at night to catch food, but neither has my friend who originally had them or I seen any kind of polyp extension. They do have a tiny layer of flesh in the center of each cup. And supposedly they share the care requirements of porites/SPS coral but they seem to be still alive.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN1113_zpsd42f101a.jpg.html'>DSCN1113_zpsd42f101a.jpg

Any ideas what these two macro algae may be? I was thinking eucheuma and some kind of branching pink/purple macro or coralline.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN1123_zpse29616c2.jpg.html'>DSCN1123_zpse29616c2.jpg

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN1121_zps72565d43.jpg.html'>DSCN1121_zps72565d43.jpg

The starlet coral. Any clues as to its health? I have been researching them a bit and supposedly they open their polyps at night to catch food, but neither has my friend who originally had them or I seen any kind of polyp extension. They do have a tiny layer of flesh in the center of each cup. And supposedly they share the care requirements of porites/SPS coral but they seem to be still alive.

DSCN1113_zpsd42f101a.jpg

Any ideas what these two macro algae may be? I was thinking eucheuma and some kind of branching pink/purple macro or coralline.

DSCN1123_zpse29616c2.jpg

DSCN1121_zps72565d43.jpg

ask metrokat. Shes the macro diva.

am i the only one disappointed this isnt actually a bathtub? lol

Hehe eventually I'll get a tank that big. A 40 breeder will have to suffice until then.

i kid though, looks good

ask metrokat. Shes the macro diva.

I'll get on that.

I see your starlet coral, what a great looking piece! I would leave it in the sandbed undisturbed and let it come to life, it might take a week or more, it is very badly stressed. You can feed it very find particle sized foods to encourage it to wake up.

I see your starlet coral, what a great looking piece! I would leave it in the sandbed undisturbed and let it come to life, it might take a week or more,

The sand bed? :o I'm not really sure if my lights are strong enough to support a coral like this on the sand bed. I have it on the frag rack about 6" away from the fixture right now.

it is very badly stressed. You can feed it very find particle sized foods to encourage it to wake up.

I was afraid of that. I have been spot feeding marine snow for the hidden cup coral and the starlet for the last few days since they come from really silty water I figure that would help.

The cup coral has been unaffected by its traumatic fragging session and is eating like a pig. Hopefully it will encrust over my makeshift frag plug.

Just ordered my RO/DI unit.

TIME TO BANISH THE HAIR ALGAE!!!! and to welcome some SPS into my tank!!!!!

*insert appropriate algae or water related meme here.*

Archived