SaltCritters.com

40B Box O' Rocks

Acielot

Well it is jumping back and forth between the frogspawn and maxi mini now. It doesn't venture up the rockwork anymore. :closedeyes: It was beautiful while it lasted.

On a positive note the Gorg and the sun coral are having crazy PE at night :D I give them a good squirt of Phyto and Spectrum pellets and they go crazy.

lol!

Nice! You should take some pics!

Sorry about the goby... :(

What about a midas blenny? They are so pretty!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol!

Nice! You should take some pics!

I have a few I just have to upload some. The gorg hasn't been opening for 1-2 days at a time but when it is open I am sure to spot feed it some food. The sun coral on the other hand has covered a good potrion of the skeleton where it was fragged and has even sprouted a few tiny new heads on the underside.

Sorry about the goby... :(

What about a midas blenny? They are so pretty!

I have been hesitant to add anything recently because I want to add the perfect fish for me. I am thinking that a possum wrasse would be really cool but I don't want to loose any options.

Update:

I have moved the 20 gallon into a different room and it gets indirect sunlight in the morning while the actinics are on and then full sunlight from around 5-8. The tank has a brilliant shimmer and the zoas have never looked so full and happy. The blue tubbs as well as the gsp were noticeably more vibrant then they were with just the 10k and daylight bulb.

As for the bad news the baby fungia has given up and melted away from the skeleton. Also the frogspawn was being picked at by something in the tank and pulled away from the skeleton a bit, the sexy shrimp made sure to finish it off. :closedeyes: But one of the favia frags decided to turn around and there are tiny bits of flesh forming in a few of the skeletal cups.

All in all the tank is good but it can be much better.

Good to see an update James. Sunlight seems to do wonders for a reef. I have seen that in my tank too.

Haha its been awhile since I have been able to update this thread properly. I will have pics up of everything by tomorrow evening of all my current projects. :lol: I seem to enjoy being busy with all of this stuff.

I tried getting pics but they are all too bright and blurry since I am practically trying to take a picture of the sun, that or the glass is too reflective and I end up photographing my shorts. <_<

Any tips?

Nightfall. Dark room. Keep the short on though. -_-

No promises. :naughtydance:

I meant when I am trying to get pictures of the sunlight hitting the tank it is just too bright for my camera to focus.

No promises. :naughtydance:

I meant when I am trying to get pictures of the sunlight hitting the tank it is just too bright for my camera to focus.

I know what you meant, I have the same issue as my tank sits in a very bright room. Unfortunately I can't get good pictures during the day no matter how hard I try. If you have blinds or curtains you can close them to darken the room for better pics. That does help even if you see a reflection in the photos.

• 2 weeks later...

The current state of the tank.http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN0867_zpsfe33717f.jpg.html'>DSCN0867_zpsfe33717f.jpg

Florence and Pierce are little fatties. Although I still do not know if either has become dominant yet. They seem to just coexist right now and neither spazzes out and submits so maybe they are just too young. Florence is roughly 8 months old and Pierce is only 5 months old.

A pic of the tank with only the sunlight coming through the window. :Dhttp://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN0851_zpsdbf7e02c.jpg.html'>DSCN0851_zpsdbf7e02c.jpg

And the new hobby...

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN0857_zpsc99c1624.jpg.html'>DSCN0857_zpsc99c1624.jpg

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN0863_zpsddc348c6.jpg.html'>DSCN0863_zpsddc348c6.jpg

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/DSCN0864_zpsb83ab0be.jpg.html'>DSCN0864_zpsb83ab0be.jpg

I have managed to achieve a constant 90% humidity throughout the day without fans or lights so hopefully it won't drop to much when they get added. The mites and fungus/molds have already moved in so once everything balances out I cant start putting real plants in there like bromeliads and fig vines.

That new hobby looks very batman-ish. BTW I posted a picture of my Gulab Jamun for you, the day we were talking about it, somehow it magically appeared for my dessert after dinner. :lol:

That new hobby looks very batman-ish.

Haha it's a vivarium. I just need to wait awhile until I can gets some dart frogs.

BTW I posted a picture of my Gulab Jamun for you, the day we were talking about it, somehow it magically appeared for my dessert after dinner. :lol:

I'll be over in a minute hehe.

File fish love to eat aiptasia. And can eat zoanthids/palys too. :huh:

I think he'll be fine. I don't know what kind of filefish it is exactly but it hasn't shown an interest in anything besides the frozen food.

Nice tank! Just watch the filefish, I got one for my aptasia it never touched it and took a liking to my acans about 2 weeks after I added it.

Nice tank! Just watch the filefish, I got one for my aptasia it never touched it and took a liking to my acans about 2 weeks after I added it.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have any acans yet but I'll keep it in mind when I do.

Just for reference also this guy is tiny, like no bigger than a dime give or take a bit. Its horn is covered by the Kenya tree polyp in that pic.

Sorry I wasn't saying it will just eat acans, a lot of them take a liking to any coral:) Just keep an eye on it. Mine never touched the aptasia just acans and polyps...

I'll keep an eye on it. It did eye the gorg a bit when it first went into the tank but it decided to hang out in the branches of the Kenya tree for awhile. If it should decide to start munching on the Kenya tree I wouldn't be too upset since there are branches pooping of every other week,

In other news the Mp10 should be here tomorrow! omgomgomg It couldn't come at a better time either as the powerhead that I have now is starting to not stick to the glass. I have come home to a sandstorm the last 2 days because the powerhead aims directly at the front glass and hits the open sandbed.

The MP10 is working great on my tank. I have it set to pulse/reefcrest mode(?) at 40% and it creates a nice swaying motion all throughout the tank which the gorg and the LTA seem to enjoy.

But the bad news is that I cannot find my sexy shrimp. She wasn't on the maxi mini or any of the other corals that she frequents. I'm pretty sure she was eaten by something be it the maxi, the starfish or the crab. :tears:

I have a ricordea and a fungia on hold at the LFS. The ricordea is a gorgeous dark blue with orange/yellow/green spots under actinic leds. And the fungia is a simple brown one of a pretty good size. I figured since my last fungia was an attempted rescue that I would get a larger healthy one this time.

The ricordea on hold is similar to the one below.

252893.jpg

Tank Update: I finally have purple and red coralline spots around the tank on the rocks. omgomgomg I have had calcareous growth of green coralline but the purple and red never started to spread until recently. The hermits are harboring some teal coralline but it has yet to spread any further than their shells.

I have called off the search for the sexy and she will be presumed eaten unless she reemerges over the weekend.

BUILD UPDATE: omgomgomg

Petco is having the per gallon sale again so I picked up a 40 breeder for the sole purpose of getting a larger reef - no turtles, frogs, rats, freshwater fish, nor mystical creature will stop me from turning this beauty into my dream reef.

The plan now is to create a stand for the new tank and accrue as many pieces of equipment necessary as possible.

Equipment checklist will be updated and checked off accordingly:

• tank
  • mp10
  • photon 24/reefbreeders value led fixture x2
  • 20 gallon sump
  • protein skimmer
  • stand
  • live rock/dry rock
  • RO/DI filter
  • aragonite

The plan is to create a reef habitat similar to that of the reefs around Florida. Most specifically the reef system found in Stuart Florida, Bathtub Reef.

Anyone know of a good source that sells both glass drill bits and internal overflow boxes?

I want to drill the bottom of the tank and so far I have only found DIY guides. They will do the job just fine however I want this tank to be less DIY than the 20 gallon as I am not the best at creating clean pieces of DIY work.

Alright, Now I need to decide on an overflow that would be the quietest as well as function properly with an internal coast to coast overflow. Any recommendations?

Archived